Windows 10: IPv4 and IPv6 Connectivity?

Discus and support IPv4 and IPv6 Connectivity? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I did a clean install of my Win10 Home about a week ago and it all turned out for the good. However, tonight while nosing around my Network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by 2harts4ever, Oct 28, 2016.

1. IPv4 and IPv6 Connectivity?

Hi,

I did a clean install of my Win10 Home about a week ago and it all turned out for the good. However, tonight while nosing around my Network Connections I notice I am connected to the Internet by Ethernet (Realtek PCle GBF Family Controller) which I thought I was since I had a cable from my Windstream Router to my PC.

When I would click on 'Status of this Connection' (Ethernet) I saw that under Connection there was listed:

IPv4 Connectivity: Internet
    IPv6 Connectivity: No Network Access

I always thought that both of them should say 'Internet'. Am I right or wrong?

Also, while looking at the Network Connections I see 'WiFi' (Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n Wifi adapter) is also listed. It says 'not connected'. It shows a 'Red' X on it along with five green 'Bars'.

Should the WiFi connection be displayed that way?

Thanks and regards,

:)

2harts4ever, Oct 28, 2016
  2. GeniusVIP Win User

IPv4/IPv6

Hey guys,

I recently installed ESET NOd32 antivirus. But since it interfered with a lot of my stuff, I decided to uninstall it. But it had system administrator priviliges , so I couldn't manually uninstall it. The easiest possible way to uninstall was to used the
    ESET unintaller tool.

I did a successful uninstall, following instructions from here:

Uninstall ESET manually using the ESET uninstaller tool

I backed up my network adapter settings but failed to restore them immediately afterwards.

My internet stopped working following the restart. First I was getting internet access but no internet. So I troubleshooted my connection and they said there was some problem with my Ethernet and wifi adapter.

I tried repairs as administrator. But it said 'Not F. I saw the troubleshoot report and there was the same error for both the Ethernet and wifi.

"Windows couldn't automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter."

I checked the status of the Ethernet and wifi and both showed Ipv6/ipv4 connectivity= not connected(Ipv6/Ipv4 are enabled)

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network adapters but to no avail.

Then I remembered that I had forgotten to restore the network adapter settings so I entered the command: netsh -f C:\NetworkSetttings.txt

The result was as following:

C:\WINDOWS\system32> netsh -f C:\NetworkSettings.txt

Resetting , failed.

Access is denied.
    There's no user specified settings to be reset.

Resetting Interface, OK!

Resetting Neighbor, OK!

Resetting Path, OK!

Resetting , failed.

Access is denied.
    Restart the computer to complete this action.

The following command was not found: reset.

Reset of all TCP parameters OK!

The following command was not found: Failed to query global on ipv6.

The following command was not found: reset.

I have tried every possible solution online. please help!!!!!!!

GeniusVIP, Oct 28, 2016
  3. IPv4/IPv6

Hello sir,

My computer is a home computer so I am sure I can fix this issue at home.

I am logged in as administrator, if that is what you mean.

You think I can solve it at home?

Syed GoharLal Akram, Oct 28, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

IPv4 and IPv6 Connectivity?

That is because IPv6 is not used outside of the gateway. Only Homegroup uses it. If you want to use Dual Stack, which uses both IPv4 and IPv6, you would need a router capable of it. Any IPv4 traffic that passes outside the gateway and may direct from your ISP to a server that uses IPv6, it will do so with 6:4. All IPv4 packets are encapsulated in a IPv6 packet and appear to be transparent when they reach the router on the other end, that just sees the IPv6 packet until it gets past the Gateway to be routed to the server, which can be using only IPv4, so it would get a IPv4 packet after the Gateway removes the Encapsulating. It does the reverse when the packet goes back out and gets sent back to you.

You can check your outside the Gateway IPv6 status at IPv6 test - IPv6/4 connectivity and speed test

Depending on your web browser, it may come back and state that DNS fallback failed which is normal. DNS6 + IP6 should also show failed. Everything else should show Green.

The biggest problem right now is that IPv6 still has a lot of security problems with it, so that is why it is still sitting in a test mode. We may never see it become the norm, since there are still more than enough IPv4 addresses available between ISP's and the Backbones. The media hype by the likes of Cisco, etc. is to sell their Dual Stack gear more than anything.

bro67, Oct 28, 2016
  5. Hi bro67,

I ran the test and my results were as you said. So, while most everything you said went right over my '74-year-old brain-housing group' *Huh, I guess from what you said my connections are correct.

I appreciate you taking the time to try to enlighten me.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever, Oct 28, 2016
  6. Saltgrass Win User
    Does the attachment change anything or is this what you would expect?

Saltgrass, Oct 28, 2016
  7. Private Win User
    Looking at Event Viewer, noticed some inbuilt programs trying to connect through IPv6 which end up with errors.

Enables the IPv6, errors gone and in netstat, v6 connections always alive, not just for Homegroup, AFAIK.

Private, Oct 28, 2016
  8. Kbird Win User

IPV6 mostly depends on your ISP now days , more and more are supporting it , mine for eg. does if you are connected via Fibre but not Copper but they don't advertise it yet, I too use the ipv6-test.com test and regularly get 20/20 especially if you refresh the browser window after the 1st connection .

Kbird, Oct 29, 2016
  9. sml156 Win User
    Most third world countries have better ipv6 support - Why because they are just starting ISP's that use newer equipment than say the USA, Why would the US carriers spend millions on new equipment when they can continue to put those millions in their pocket. A lot of mobile internet supports IPv6 because they are using newer equipment.

Source:
    | IPv6 Now

sml156, Oct 29, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    Saltgrass only that your not getting 6:4 tunneling. What Web Browser? Chromium and Chrome by default are set up to not do any fallback. That is by design until they enable that in the code at who knows how far down the road. They took it out some time ago from net-internals/dns, who knows if they ever will put it back.

bro67, Oct 29, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    If you have IPv6 enabled for the network adapters you will see a default IP handed out in status, but when you list in Command all requests for DNS, you will not see any IPv6 ip's.

I really would not worry about it as I stated before. It will not have any affect on using the Internet or connecting within your network.

bro67, Oct 29, 2016
  12. AddRAM Win User
    yep, IPv6 is provided by your ISP, as mentioned they won`t implement it until they have to.

It`s nothing special, it`s just more ip addresses because they are running out of the IPv4 type.

IPv6 - Wikipedia

AddRAM, Oct 29, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

They are not running out of IPv4 ip's, which was busted as a myth back when the ISP's tried using that excuse. Even if the ISP's implement the feature, that does not automatically mean that you are going to always get a IPv6 connection to some remote server or routed along IPv6 only back bones.

IPv4 is very much alive and not going anywhere in our lifetime. Arin is purposely using the excuse that the IPv4 pool is empty to push IPv6. It is all about slick snake oil marketing that not everyone is taking as serious, because it is not 100% true what they are pushing.

bro67, Oct 29, 2016
  14. AddRAM Win User
    Hey, if it`s on the internet it`s gotta be true LOL *chuckle

Like I said, it`s nothing special.

AddRAM, Oct 29, 2016
  15. sml156 Win User
    Do you have a source for this, I would like to read it.

sml156, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. IPv4 and IPv6 Connectivity? - Similar Threads - IPv4 IPv6 Connectivity

2. Connectivity IPv4/IPv6: Disconnected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connectivity IPv4/IPv6: Disconnected: No connection to Internet, no connection icon appeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connectivity-ipv4ipv6-disconnected/275ba775-dfca-4721-9d5a-671d3773d4b7
  3. Connectivity IPv4/IPv6: Disconnected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connectivity IPv4/IPv6: Disconnected: No connection to Internet, no connection icon appeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connectivity-ipv4ipv6-disconnected/275ba775-dfca-4721-9d5a-671d3773d4b7
  4. Connectivity IPv4/IPv6: Disconnected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Connectivity IPv4/IPv6: Disconnected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connectivity IPv4/IPv6: Disconnected: Name: EthernetDescription: Realtek PCIe GbE Family ControllerPhysical address MAC: 9c:7b:ef:20:8e:79Status: Not operationalMaximum transmission unit: 1500IPv4 address: 169.254.172.34/16IPv6 address: fe80::7899:cb42:47f:280a%8/64DNS servers: fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1,...
  6. Connectivity IPv4/IPv6: Disconnected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connectivity IPv4/IPv6: Disconnected: Name: EthernetDescription: Realtek PCIe GbE Family ControllerPhysical address MAC: 9c:7b:ef:20:8e:79Status: Not operationalMaximum transmission unit: 1500IPv4 address: 169.254.172.34/16IPv6 address: fe80::7899:cb42:47f:280a%8/64DNS servers: fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1,...
  7. Connectivity IPv4/IPv6: Disconnected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. IPv6 connectivity is dropping but not IPv4

IPv6 connectivity is dropping but not IPv4: I work with many open SSH sessions at least six using tmux. After a few hours, the sessions to IPv6 addresses are dropping. The ones to IPv4 are not. I am able to confirm that I have lost all IPv6 connectivity using the site https://test-ipv6.com/ Using ipConfig, I see...
  9. Ipv4/ipv6

Ipv4/ipv6: My Wifi was not working on my pc but it was every where else so I used the Network Reset feature which was reccomended to me by the trouble shoot guide and now there are loads of issues. First when i go to the wifi tab in the bottom right it doesn’t say anything except...
  10. Connectivity IPv4/IPv6: Disconnected

Connectivity IPv4/IPv6: Disconnected: when i look at my network properties it says this: Connectivity IPv4/IPv6: Disconnected. What does mean? ***Original Title: when i look at my network properties it says this: Connectivity IPv4/IPv6: Disconnected. What does mean?***...