Windows 10: IPv4 name resolution - why does this get lost?

Discus and support IPv4 name resolution - why does this get lost? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a two PCs on the same subnet, hardwired into the same router. Every night they timeout and sleep, Every morning my KVM software Microsoft's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SOHO1, Jun 23, 2016.

1. SOHO1 Win User

IPv4 name resolution - why does this get lost?

I have a two PCs on the same subnet, hardwired into the same router. Every night they timeout and sleep, Every morning my KVM software Microsoft's Mouse without Borders complains (on each PC) that it cannot find the other PC.

Both PCs have fixed (not dynamic) IPv4 addrs. The mouse software (which is used to cursor/cut/paste across multiple PCs using only the mouse and keyboard of one PC, operates on IPv4. Both PCs are configured so the software has the fixed IP associated to the name as backup to any dynamic name lookup. IPconfig shows the ipv4 values are correct. Both PCs seem to web browse just fine.

Some have suggested to disable IPv6, but that causes certain other software networking issues on the web.

So, to wrap up a long story, I came across a forum that hinted at an idea. I ping -4 at a command line on each PC to contact the other PC. SURE ENOUGH! As soon as ping sorted out the IPv4 connection and started showing reply packets, Mouse without Borders started working!!

What went on on in Windows to wake up IPv4 and how do I configure Windows to keep using it without having to wake it when the PCs come out of sleep? Yeah, I might put a script in, as a work around, but what's the real fix?

I'm guessing, someone here knows enough about netsh interface ipv6 show prefixpolicies to know if protocol priorities would fix this and how to use them.

:)

SOHO1, Jun 23, 2016

2. Win 10 IPV4 name resolution intermittently dropping

Did you get any answers/help on this issue? I am experiencing the same behavior, it just started this morning. I have not noticed the IPV6 responses but I haven't done as much testing as you.

ClaudiaHanson, Jun 23, 2016
  3. BoyceJeff Win User
    Win 10 IPV4 name resolution intermittently dropping

I have a Win 10 box on my office network that will intermittently lose its ability to resolve IPV4 names.
    When the issue occurs the user can not get to any external internet website.
    I have narrowed the issue down to some type of networking issue on the Win 10 box, but can not figure out what it might be, or what my next diagnostic steps should be.
    Here is what diagnosis I have tried.

1. Ruled out ISP issue, as all other computers in our small office have internet connection when this issue occurs on this box.

2. Ruled out internal LAN DNS issue, as all boxes receive their DNS and DHCP configuration via dnsmasq.
    Checked and compared this box with others in the office and there is no significant difference.

3. Compared routing table and arp cache with other working boxes and found no significant difference between them.

Symptoms when the issue is present:

a. Ping external web site by name. *Does not work.*

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping meridianenv.com

Ping request could not find host meridianenv.com. Please check the name and try again.

This site is known to be up and responding at the time of this check.

b. Ping external web site by IPV4 address. *Works.*

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping 66.160.145.21

Pinging 66.160.145.21 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.160.145.21: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=54

Ran this test immediately back to back with the previous test. Then immediately reran the previous test and the result was the same as above.

c. Ping to another internal LAN box by name. *Works*, but responds with IPV6 instead of IPV4.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping jab-prec3610

Pinging jab-prec3610 [fe80::28f1:3c0b:c6a8:91ea%3] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from fe80::28f1:3c0b:c6a8:91ea%3: time<1ms

d. Ping to another internal LAN box by IPV4 number.
    *Works.* This is the same box as immediately above.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping 192.168.112.101

Pinging 192.168.112.101 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.112.101: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

e. Ping from another internal LAN box, back to the problem box, by name.
    *Works.*

C:\Users\jeffb>ping acct-opti5040

Pinging acct-opti5040.mei.lan [192.168.112.108] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.112.108: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

f. Ping from another internal LAN box, back to the problem box, by IPV4 address.
    *Works.*

C:\Users\jeffb>ping 192.168.112.108

Pinging 192.168.112.108 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.112.108: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

When the box is working properly I reran these same tests, and the following two results changed (items *a* and *c* above).

a. Ping external web site by name. *Works.*

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping meridianenv.com

Pinging meridianenv.com [66.160.145.21] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 66.160.145.21: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=54

c. Ping to another internal LAN box by name. *Works* and returns with IPV4 info.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping jab-prec3610

Pinging jab-prec3610.mei.lan [192.168.112.101] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.112.101: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Other things I have tried:

1. Flush the Windows DNS cache. Did not fix the issue.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

2. Reset the IPV4 interface.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Resetting Interface, OK!

Resetting Unicast Address, OK!

Resetting Neighbor, OK!

Resetting Path, OK!

Resetting , failed.

Access is denied.

Restart the computer to complete this action.

Not sure if this is successful, as it says resetting failed and access is denied.
    Then it states that it requires a reboot to take effect.
    While resetting the interface and rebooting the system may temporarily resolve the issue it is impossible to tell if the resolution is a result of the reset or the reboot.
    Since the system has been rebooted each day, this does not appear to be a solution to the issue.

3. Reset the IPV6 interface.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Resetting Interface, OK!

Resetting Neighbor, OK!

Resetting Path, OK!

Resetting , failed.

Access is denied.

Resetting , OK!

Resetting , OK!

Restart the computer to complete this action.

Same conclusion as with resetting the IPV4 interface above. This does not appear to be a solution to the issue.

This issue does not occur with any of the other Windows boxes in the office (mostly Win 7, and one other Win10 box).
    When the issue happens, it may only occur for a minute or two, or may last for 10 plus minutes.
    I can not correlate when it happens, or when it fixes itself, to anything else happening on our network.

I am looking for additional suggestions as to what might be causing this issue, diagnostic options, or what might fix it.

Thanks for any assistance.

BoyceJeff, Jun 23, 2016
  4. SOHO1 Win User

SOHO1, Jun 23, 2016
  5. Slartybart, Jun 23, 2016
  6. TairikuOkami, Jun 23, 2016
  7. Mystere Win User
    Mystere, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. IPv4 name resolution - why does this get lost? - Similar Threads - IPv4 name resolution

2. DNS Name resolution not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS Name resolution not working: HelloHere is the scenario:I have moved three VMs from a VmWare environment to the Oracle Cloud. Two of the VMs were Windows 2019 Standard Active Directory Domain Controllers, the third VM is a Windows 2019 Standard server. As a result of the move, the IPs on all three...
  3. Why does my display resolution get capped at 1440x900?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my display resolution get capped at 1440x900?: My old computer using AMD A4-5300B APU with Windows 10 managed to get a display resolution of 1600x1200, how comes my new computer using AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Windows 11 and the exact same monitor has a max resolution of 1440x900?...
  4. Why does my display resolution get capped at 1440x900?

Why does my display resolution get capped at 1440x900?: My old computer using AMD A4-5300B APU with Windows 10 managed to get a display resolution of 1600x1200, how comes my new computer using AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Windows 11 and the exact same monitor has a max resolution of 1440x900?...
  5. Why does chrome have such a bad resolution?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does chrome have such a bad resolution?: Hey, when I launched chrome today I have witnessed that it has a very bad solution, apparently it is 720p because when I go, for example, to Edge or in any other applications it looks "normal". I even changed the high DPI settings in the compatibility setup of chrome and...
  6. Why does chrome have such a bad resolution?

Why does chrome have such a bad resolution?: Hey, when I launched chrome today I have witnessed that it has a very bad solution, apparently it is 720p because when I go, for example, to Edge or in any other applications it looks "normal". I even changed the high DPI settings in the compatibility setup of chrome and...
  7. Why does chrome have such a bad resolution?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Why does microsoft have a hard on for 1600x900 resolution?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does microsoft have a hard on for 1600x900 resolution?: I used to happily enjoy 1600x900 monitor resolution. Sadly, that has disappeared from my PC. I suspect a windows 10 pro update somewhere along the way but can't pin that down with Microsoft. What's the straight skinny here about 1600x900 resolution and windows 10 pro?...
  9. Name resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    Name resolution: Olá,Tive o seguinte problema, vendo no log, ao conectar meu notebook na rede existe esse erro Resolução de nomes para o nome _ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.xxxx.local. Tempo acabou. Depois de dimensionar uma VM, toda a rede caiu, alguém sabe se esse erro de resolução de nome tem algo...
  10. lost resolution 1440 900

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    lost resolution 1440 900: (windows 10,Last drivers nvidia)Once day i switch on pc and see what my native resolution has become 1024 768 but native resolition monitor 1440 900 i'm trying switch off,reinstaill driver for videocard(when i connect tv all be ok 1980x1080),trying connect monitor to second...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. name resolution ipv4 not working