Windows 10: IPv4 priority over IPv6 on LAN

Discus and support IPv4 priority over IPv6 on LAN in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I got a place with a small network, a workgroup environment, sharing files. They've worked fine for a long time, then all of a sudden 1 of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cody Mead, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Cody Mead Win User

IPv4 priority over IPv6 on LAN

Hello,

I got a place with a small network, a workgroup environment, sharing files. They've worked fine for a long time, then all of a sudden 1 of the computers starts getting errors with the mapped network drive to the "server" computer. Over the past 8 or so months I've fixed it here and there, sometimes it will stay fine for a month, sometimes it won't work again the next day.

I noticed that the first time it happened, when I ping the "server" it gave back an ipv6 address, and at first I just shrugged it off cause I got it fixed. I've seen this happen at other places also now, it's becoming frustrating because it seems like the problems start whenever the server machines decide to prefer ipv6.

I've tried to research this here and there without seeing anything of much relevance, and I've also seen Microsoft's scripts to "prefer ipv4 over ipv6" but those haven't seemed to work for me. Microsoft says turning off ipv6 will break stuff, so i'm wondering what else can I try to force Windows to ignore ipv6?

:)

Cody Mead, Dec 5, 2018
  2. Samuria Win User

Can ping ipv6 but not ipv4 on LAN

It's rare for most routers to use ipv6 on the LAN disable it on all PCs make sure all PCs are in the same workgroup and all have ipv4 IP in the same range make sure NetBIOS is running on all PCs

Samuria, Dec 5, 2018
  3. First Affordable IPv6 Router Begins To Be Available In The UK

People are talking IPv6 compatible as being around a long time. Well, actually, IPv6 WAN at router then NAT IPv4 on LAN has been around a while. Getting IPv6 on LAN is a different beast. I for one won't and can't upgrade many legacy devices, so when IPv6 comes, I will have to NAT it to IPv4 on the LAN.

Completely Bonkers, Dec 5, 2018
  4. IPv4 priority over IPv6 on LAN

E for Excel, Dec 5, 2018
Thema:

IPv4 priority over IPv6 on LAN

1. IPv4 priority over IPv6 on LAN - Similar Threads - IPv4 priority IPv6

2. ipv6 is not working but ipv4 is working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ipv6 is not working but ipv4 is working: I tried to check again and again but it is showing me this try running Windows Network Diagnostics.DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ipv6-is-not-working-but-ipv4-is-working/f677f505-fc5d-4967-a3c3-832a9021351f
  3. Start pxe over ipv4 and start pxe over ipv6

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start pxe over ipv4 and start pxe over ipv6: I have a dell 910 ran into a start PXE over ipv4 and stuck on start pxe over ipv6. I left my computer for a day and it still stuck on ipv6. I've tried some advice on youtube but i havent fixed the problem. Please help....
  4. Start pxe over ipv4 and start pxe over ipv6

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start pxe over ipv4 and start pxe over ipv6: I have a dell 910 ran into a start PXE over ipv4 and stuck on start pxe over ipv6. I left my computer for a day and it still stuck on ipv6. I've tried some advice on youtube but i havent fixed the problem. Please help....
  5. IPv6 connectivity is dropping but not IPv4

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    IPv6 connectivity is dropping but not IPv4: I work with many open SSH sessions at least six using tmux. After a few hours, the sessions to IPv6 addresses are dropping. The ones to IPv4 are not. I am able to confirm that I have lost all IPv6 connectivity using the site https://test-ipv6.com/ Using ipConfig, I see...
  6. Ipv4/ipv6

Ipv4/ipv6: My Wifi was not working on my pc but it was every where else so I used the Network Reset feature which was reccomended to me by the trouble shoot guide and now there are loads of issues. First when i go to the wifi tab in the bottom right it doesn’t say anything except...
  7. ipv4/ipv6 disconnected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ipv4/ipv6 disconnected: i have a hp stream laptop and after a update it wont connect to any wireless network and i have tried everything, even factory reset. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ipv4ipv6-disconnected/fa296f44-81e8-443d-95c9-84380c06412a
  8. Forcing Windows 10 to prefer IPv6 over IPv4

Forcing Windows 10 to prefer IPv6 over IPv4: With the ongoing transition to IPv6 away from IPv4, I've been moving my home network over to native IPv6 - successfully for the most part (I run a full dual-stack setup with /64 prefixes without issue to the Internet too). However, I've noticed that with my two computers -...
  9. IPv4 and IPv6 Connectivity?

IPv4 and IPv6 Connectivity?: Hi, I did a clean install of my Win10 Home about a week ago and it all turned out for the good. However, tonight while nosing around my Network Connections I notice I am connected to the Internet by Ethernet (Realtek PCle GBF Family Controller) which I thought I was since...
  10. Can ping ipv6 but not ipv4 on LAN

Can ping ipv6 but not ipv4 on LAN: I just moved into my business partner's home office and I am trying to get Dev (computer #1, Win10 Pro) to see DbServer's (computer #2, also Win10 Pro) Postgres Database to no avail so far. He has a Comacast router which seems to be using using IPv6 primarily. When I go to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to check if ipv4 has priority windows 10

2. windows 10 priority ipv4 over ipv6

3. windows 10 ipv4 priority

4. windows 10 set priority for ipv4 addressing over ipv6,
  5. prioritize IPv4 on Windows 10,
  6. prioritize ipv4 over ipv6 win10,
  7. can I use IPV6 in 2019 for my home lan,
  8. dropouts on IPV4 on lan,
  9. ipv4 priority in windows ipv6