Windows 10: IPv6 leak while using PIA

Discus and support IPv6 leak while using PIA in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I use Private Internet Access as my VPN. The service worked great while I was usingWindows 8.1. After installing W10 Inoticed that I was getting local... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Buck, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Buck Win User

IPv6 leak while using PIA

I use Private Internet Access as my VPN. The service worked great while I was usingWindows 8.1. After installing W10 Inoticed that I was getting local adds while visiting certain websites eventhough I was using a server in another town. I checked whatismyipaddress and sure enough my physical address wasdisplayed. I contacted PIA via theirchat. I was given many instructions onhow to plug the leak. The last oneinvolved changing the DNS settings and disabling the IPv6 setting on theEthernet connection. Before I changedthe DNS server settings from obtaining automatically to specific setting I thoughtwhy not just disable the IPv6 setting and see if that would work. It did work and I did not have to change theDNS settings. If you are using PIA youmight just want to check if your connection is leaking your IPv6 address to theworld.

:)

2. Lose internet connection after VPN disconnection - how do I change network default gateway route

Hi,

I'm using Private Internet Access (PIA) as my VPN on a Dell 7910 Workstation running Windows 10 Professional.

I basically need help on:

• How I can manually change my Internet primary gateway route
    • Solve the problem of losing Internet access once I disconnect my VPN
    Details

Recently, I set the strictest security - DSN Leak On, IPv4 Leak On etc. Since then, whenever I disconnect from PIA I am unable I lose my internet connection. I can only reconnect to the Internet by reloading PIA.

However, I've discovered that if I do not install PIA at startup, I can connect to the Internet. Once I connect through PIA, though, I can only connect to the Internet through PIA.

I was having problems with web pages loading slowly ("resolving host" issue), so I switched my DSN settings to the DSNs used by the PIA servers.

PIA technical support suggested I configure my security software (Norton, Malwarebytes, SecureAPlus, Kerish Doctor, Zemana Anti-Logger and Unchecky) to work with PIA. I have done that to no effect. They also want me to uninstall PIA and then re-install it.
    I am reluctant to do that as I fear that as I am in part at least, unable to connect to the Internet without PIA, I might lose all Internet access if I uninstall PIA.
    In consequence I would be unable to re-install PIA and, to boot, be unable to seek technical assistance on the Internet.

I found one solution on an October 2016 Microsoft Forum Post (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/efd7c70c-e652-4101-93ac-2c57884e162e/no-internet-access-after-disconnecting-from-vpn?forum=w7itpronetworking).
    The suggested solution is:

Hey all, I was having the same problem on Windows 10. The PPP adapter is not removed after disconnecting from the Windows VPN client and I cannot connect to any ipv4 outside of my local
    network (still could connect to ipv6 though). I think the primary issue is that the VPN gateway route is not removed from the routing table and therefore is still trying to send ipv4 traffic over the PPP adapter. I fixed this issue by manually setting my primary
    gateway route for my main network lower than the VPN gateway route. You can do this in cmd cli with "route", or in the Adapter settings:

TL;DR - change your default gateway route to metric 1

No one replied to say if this worked, but I would like to try it. I will do it using TimeFreeze in order to test it, without making any permanent changes to my PC. I'll also create a System Restore point.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to effect this change to the primary (is this the "default" gateway) gateway in Windows 10 Professional.
    So, I'd be grateful to anyone who could explain how I can do that and which of my Internet connections I need to make this change to.

I connect to the Internet through an Ethernet cable ("Ethernet 3" as my PC labels it). I also have the VPN PIA connection, labelled "Ethernet 5", "TAP Windows Adapter V9 . . ." I'd be grateful to anyone who
    could explain what I'm exactly doing when I change the gateway route (presumably on Ethernet 3) to "Metric 1". I'm worried that I may cause damage to my system.

I would also obviously be very interested to hear from anyone who has any other suggestions as how I might fix this disconnection/loss of connection problem.
    I've Googled the problem to death but cannot find a solution, other than re-boot the PC/re-install the Internet connection (in my case Ethernet 3).

My thanks in advance, for any help and suggestions that can be offered.

Graham Kerby, Oct 24, 2015
  3. Win 10: DNS resolution of remote network via VPN connection not working

I am using Private Internet Access (PIA) on Windows 10 and was having the exact same issue described here. My DNS lookups were taking a long time and actually failing when using nslookup. Setting the metric value of the physical network interface, for both
    IPv4 and IPv6, to a value higher than that of the TAP interface resolved the issue for me.

Thank you, Keenans and ECC-Dan.

mburns-now, Oct 24, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

If you are getting ad's, first question is what web browser are you using. Just because you are using a VPN to mask your real Gateway outside IP, is not going to stop ad's from being served up on any web pages you are visiting.

The only reason that someone may use a Anonymous VPN, would be if say they want to watch BBC programming in England, but cannot access with a U.S. IP.

I really do not see a need to pay extra money for something that unless you are doing something illegal, which your real IP could be found with the right Blackhat tracing you home.

bro67, Oct 25, 2015
  5. Joshy Win User
    I have that issue, unfortunately IPV6 is needed to be part of a homegroup.

Joshy, Oct 25, 2015
  6. Buck Win User
    My intent in posting the information about theDNS/IPv6 leak was to help others who may be experiencing the same problem I was. The post did not ask anyone for suggestionson how to solve it, since I had already found a viable way. Your assumption that the only reason forusing a VPN is to hide one’s identity and engage in criminal activity isincorrect. My reason for using one is toprotect myself from prying eyes while engaging in perfectly legal activitiessuch as online shopping or banking.

Buck, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. IPv6 leak while using PIA - Similar Threads - IPv6 leak while

2. IPv6

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IPv6: I currently am trying to connect my WiFi to my Xbox so that I can binge more Netflix but every time I enter my password it comes up with an error message saying that I can’t connect. So I select “Set Up Network” and it says something about using IPv4 and I need to read up...
  3. IPV6

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    IPV6: i want to uncheck the ipv6 in my network adapter properties but when i try to uncheck the ipv6 it doesnt do anything and when i spam it it unchecks but when i click ok i get a messgae saying An unexpected condition occurred. Not all of your requested changes settings could...
  4. ipv6?

ipv6?: How to use it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ipv6/47acc017-4def-4143-8976-40c06deebfd7
  5. IPv6

IPv6: What impact will it have (if any) on the Network, if one un-ticks IPv6 in W10 Network and Sharing on all adapters, including the VPN. Thanks. T. 135636
  6. PIA VPN Problem After Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PIA VPN Problem After Update: Privat Internet Access VPN v82 was working fine until I updated my computer today: KB4481031, KB4476976, KB2267602. The troubleshooter said the TAP-adapter has an invalid IP. Also, saying that a Windows Defender firewall rule was possibly blocking something. I do not know...
  7. IPv6

IPv6: (IPv4&IPv6) connectivity is disconnected on my computer. Does anyone know where the problem would be? I am using a Motorola MB7220 modem and a netgear AC-1750 router. I logged into modem and it showed a blank line where the IPv6 address should have been. I haven't unplugged...
  8. IPv6

IPv6: My computer has a network setting for IPv4 but none for IPv6. Is there no more IPv6? My computer is 6 months old. It is an HP laptop model 15-bs013dx. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ipv6/b8eef6b4-0fc4-497d-b871-da7bce2f2b57
  9. IPV6

in Windows 10 Customization
    IPV6: What is an IPV6 stack and where do I find it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/ipv6/c1cf0dcd-a316-4169-afec-1a510d216d51
  10. static IPv4 wifi address while ethernet uses IPv6 address?

static IPv4 wifi address while ethernet uses IPv6 address?: A machine running 64-bit win10 belongs to one WorkGroup, connects to the LAN via EtherNet for speed but it must be available via wifi also, so both connections are open. For an Android device to access an app served by a webapp served on the win10 machine, the win10 machine...