Windows 10: IrfanView/Win 10 crashes?

Discus and support IrfanView/Win 10 crashes? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Have any other users of the excellent IrfanView had similar problem to the following please? Or any suggestions on a likely cause? I place an image... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Terrypin, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Terrypin Win User

IrfanView/Win 10 crashes?

Have any other users of the excellent IrfanView had similar problem to the following please? Or any suggestions on a likely cause?

I place an image on the clipboard then open IrfanView and paste it in as a new image.

For the last month or two, often (maybe once in every five occasions) that completely crashes Windows 10.

The immediate symptoms are that IrfanView reports there's nothing to paste and hangs. Can only close it via TM. Worse, all other open apps prove either totally inaccessible or allow only exiting. At some point all tray icons disappear, i.e Explorer stops working (although an instance remains in TM). I can only continue by restarting
    Win 10.

I thought it could be down to my running the 64-bit version of IrfanView, which has had some issues. But after uninstalling it fully and installing the 32-bit version there's no change.

This is interrupting work several times a day so naturally I'm keen to isolate it. Of course, it could be an obscure conflict with another app or the Win 10 OS itself.

BTW, I'm currently unable to post in the IrfanView Forum here:
    IrfanView Support Forum
    There are current threads so I assume the site is not broken. But I'm unable to either change my (rather old) password or re-register.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

:)

Terrypin, Jul 18, 2017
  2. John582n Win User
    John582n, Jul 18, 2017
  3. why is the foto app Microsoft Fotos 2017.39101.16720.0 so lousy ? Any other can do the playback better.

Even with the latest update for WIN 10 the quality of the foto app is very bad.

Means, the sharpness, the details, the colors.... are not so good displayed as they could have been ( eg. with irfanview or

play memory home )

PeterPerschak, Jul 18, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I have just registered successfully at that forum- there is a strange procedure where you must enter the miniscule dummy login details to access the registration process.

You should be able to re-register using different data- don't give your real date of birth as a matter of course, being the first step after the above.

I have also used Irfanview 4.44 32 bits as you described above, but using the Anniversary build (which is yours?) with no problems.

dalchina, Jul 18, 2017
  5. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks, appreciate the fast reply. Mine is same version number but I see no mention of 'Anniversary build'.

IrfanView/Win 10 crashes? [​IMG]

I can login (presumably with my very old pw - it's entered automatically) but there is no New Post button or similar. At bottom, I see

• You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts

I've used the Contact link but no reply so far. Can you post a screenshot of how you are logging in, in case it offers a new clue please?

Terrypin, Jul 18, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    The Anniversary build refers to Windows (1607, 14393) - the current build is the Creator's - (1703, 15063).

Windows key +R, winver
    to view that.

First you can see I'm logged in.

How?
    irfanview-forum.de

dalchina, Jul 18, 2017
  7. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks. Thought 'anniversary' sounded familiar! Yes, that's my vesion of Win 10 too!

That login area was what I used, and gives me access to read posts only.

Terrypin, Jul 18, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Suggest you re-register.

dalchina, Jul 18, 2017
  9. Terrypin Win User
    As you saw in my Serif Forum: Lounge post I tried that several times in vain. But I finally regained access to the IrfanView forum, including posting permissions, by re-registering with a new username, new password and new email address.

Re the subject problem, I've now already discussed it with Irfan by email. I'll follow-up if necessary in the IrfanView forum.

There's one remaining Win 10 aspect on which I'd appreciate advice here please. It seems the issue is due to some failure of a third party plugin, Paint, (no longer supported), implemented as Paint.dll. In what cirumstances can a corrupted or memory-leaking, or otherwise flawed DLL cause the symptoms I've described, freezing just about everything except TM and forcing the use of Ctrl+Alt+Del?

Terrypin, Jul 20, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Good.. seems progress is made, and you've identified the cause. I can't comment on why incompatibility might cause freezing, I'm afraid..

dalchina, Jul 20, 2017
  11. An improperly coded DLL, could easily write something in places it shouldn't. I assume that the problem the OP is having is related to the Paint.dll. I have the W10 Creators version installed and have used the Paint.dll quite often (including the PASTE Feature) in Ifranview, and have no symptoms such as you are seeing. But I took a look at my version and its 4.42 not 4.44. Maybe that is where the difference is ?

storageman, Jul 20, 2017
  12. Terrypin Win User
    Thanks storageman. I've had a full day without repetition, but if/when it reoccurs I'll see if I can install a 4.22 version.

Terrypin, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. IrfanView/Win 10 crashes? - Similar Threads - IrfanView crashes

2. Windows 11: How to set photo viewer default to Irfanview.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: How to set photo viewer default to Irfanview.: I have tried to set my photo viewer default to Irfanview, however Win11 continually resets the default to Photos. I don't seem to be able to clean/remove/disable Photos and it is useless beside Irfanview. Any suggestions on how to clean/remove/disable Photos and make...
  3. Windows 11: How to set photo viewer default to Irfanview.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11: How to set photo viewer default to Irfanview.: I have tried to set my photo viewer default to Irfanview, however Win11 continually resets the default to Photos. I don't seem to be able to clean/remove/disable Photos and it is useless beside Irfanview. Any suggestions on how to clean/remove/disable Photos and make...
  4. 'Print Pictures' Versus Irfanview

in Windows 10 Gaming
    'Print Pictures' Versus Irfanview: Since I purchased my new Windows 11 desktop and installed Irfanview as my default image viewer, I've noticed a problem: When I choose multiple images from my Pictures folder which I do to resize them, put borders around them, and save them in bulk and attempt to open them via...
  5. 'Print Pictures' Versus Irfanview

'Print Pictures' Versus Irfanview: Since I purchased my new Windows 11 desktop and installed Irfanview as my default image viewer, I've noticed a problem: When I choose multiple images from my Pictures folder which I do to resize them, put borders around them, and save them in bulk and attempt to open them via...
  6. Image icon changed to irfanview icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Image icon changed to irfanview icon: My images icon changed to irfanview icon and I cannot see the image anymore on the icon, everyone is now look like irfanview icon, how can i get that my images icon look like the image again?Someone post the belowOpen your my pictures location, click on organize on the top...
  7. I installed Irfanview and its icon is taking over all my aps! HELP!

in Windows 10 Customization
    I installed Irfanview and its icon is taking over all my aps! HELP!: I installed a program called Irfanview and it appears to be a virus. It's gradually taking over every icon for every app - I will post image here, its terrible. I've tried several solutions including rebuilding my icon cache and it still is not working. I've followed...
  8. Irfanview 4.54 -64bit is removed by Windows 10

Irfanview 4.54 -64bit is removed by Windows 10: Twice yesterday, Irfanview 4.54 64bit was removed by Windows. The broken shortcut generated the error message that i_view64.exe is missing. Searched the drives and found one .wer file dated July 15, 2020. (Contents are pasted below). But the removals were on the 22nd of July....
  9. Irfanview 4.54 -64bit is removed by Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Irfanview 4.54 -64bit is removed by Windows 10: Twice yesterday, Irfanview 4.54 64bit was removed by Windows. The broken shortcut generated the error message that i_view64.exe is missing. Searched the drives and found one .wer file dated July 15, 2020. (Contents are pasted below). But the removals were on the 22nd of July....
  10. Some system application icons are changing to the Irfanview icon. Why?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some system application icons are changing to the Irfanview icon. Why?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/FurToy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gigbx0/some_system_application_icons_are_changing_to_the/