Windows 10: "IRQL not less or equal" BSOD after installing new bios and gpu driver

Discus and support "IRQL not less or equal" BSOD after installing new bios and gpu driver in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've been struggling with sporadic game crash issues for half a year. Not sure if it's hardware related. I posted here a few weeks back and got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by HansW, Jun 8, 2016.

1. HansW Win User

"IRQL not less or equal" BSOD after installing new bios and gpu driver

I've been struggling with sporadic game crash issues for half a year.
    Not sure if it's hardware related.

I posted here a few weeks back and got some help, but it didn't seem to fix the issue outright/thoroughly.

So installed windows 10 clean, and they went away for a long time (2 weeks, which I think is a record).
    Another one just occurred though, so that's why I'm back. Hopefully someone can some insight.
    (Note: I ran memtest86: for 7 hours without error, gpu and cpu temps are good
    (not sure about the time at crash, but every time I check them, during stress tests even, they are normal).

I had been running the latest crimson driver 16.5.3, and had bios 1206 before it crashed. Thought one may have been the cause so updated both of them...so now I've got crimson 16.6.1 and 1805 bios (fixes stability).
    This time, within a few minutes after exiting out of the game, with steam still running in the background, I got the IRQL BSOD while navigating file explorer.

I've no idea where to look to find exactly what driver is needed for each piece of hardware. I've spent literally hours scouring the forums, but most all the semi-related hits are dated and/or have different hardware.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Attachment 84213 (crimson 16.6.1 Bios 1805)

Attachment 84211 (crimson 16.5.3 Bios 1206)

:)

HansW, Jun 8, 2016

2. Never ending cycle of multiple BSOD,hang ups, freezes,

Thanks for your help! Ia appreciate it!

I backed up the hdd.

Right now I am trying to get the clean install of Windows 10 put on the hdd but I keep getting the following BSOD messages:

Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal (storahci.sys)

Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal (storport.sys)

IRQL Not Less or Equal

Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap

Kernel Security Check Failure

Page Fault in Nonpaged Area

After a BSOD the computer restarts.

Any suggestions?

GregWardTRI, Jun 8, 2016
  3. Never ending cycle of multiple BSOD,hang ups, freezes,

This seems pretty helpful because the drivers do seem to be causing a problem. I did method #01, but I can't update the drivers because I cannot get into windows to be able to do the update. Is there a way to do the driver update from the F2 (setup) window?

Also, I tried to do a clean install on the hard drive by downloading Windows 10 from the Microsoft website oer a tech name Zachery V. I loaded it onto a USB Stick and now there are these BSOD messages that I constantly get:

Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal (storahci.sys)

Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal (storport.sys)

IRQL Not Less or Equal

Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap

Kernel Security Check Failure

Page Fault in Nonpaged Area

After each BSOD it restarts, booting from the USB stick, and then another BSOD appears.

Thanks for your help!

Greg

GregWardTRI, Jun 8, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi HansW,

Could you provide me a link to the specs of your memory? I cannot find a proper site and I would like to check a few things.
    Currently it looks like the memory is overclocked
    Code: [Memory Device (Type 17) - Length 40 - Handle 004ch] Physical Memory Array Handle 004ah Memory Error Info Handle [Not Provided] Total Width 64 bits Data Width 64 bits Size 8192MB Form Factor 09h - DIMM Device Set [None] Device Locator DIMM_A2 Bank Locator BANK 1 Memory Type 1ah - Specification Reserved Type Detail 0080h - Synchronous Speed 2400MHz Manufacturer Patriot Serial Number Asset Tag Number Part Number PSD48G24002[/quote] Attachment 84215

Please check Logitech for driver updates
    Driver Reference Table - lvuvc64.sys
    Code: fffff803`5ce61998 fffff800`072cf2b0Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\lvuvc64.sys, Win32 error 0n2 *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for lvuvc64.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for lvuvc64.sys lvuvc64+0x4f2b0 0: kd> lmvm lvuvc64 Browse full module list start end module name fffff800`07280000 fffff800`07707d80 lvuvc64 T (no symbols) Loaded symbol image file: lvuvc64.sys Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\lvuvc64.sys Image name: lvuvc64.sys Browse all global symbols functions data Timestamp: Tue Oct 23 04:12:08 2012 (5085FCF8) CheckSum: 004912C7 ImageSize: 00487D80 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4[/quote] Please uninstall everything of AMD using Display Driver Uninstaller and install new drivers from AMD. Be sure to install as less as possible software using custom/advanced options, you can use this tutorial to do so *Arrow AMD Graphics Drivers - Install Without Catalyst Install Manager - Windows 7 Help Forums
    Attachment 84216
    Code: +++ WER7 +++: Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: LiveKernelEvent Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: 141 P2: ffffe001721184c0 P3: fffff801909aebf8 P4: 0 P5: 177c P6: 10_0_10586 P7: 0_0 P8: 768_1 P9: P10: +++ WER8 +++: Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: LiveKernelEvent Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: 117 P2: ffffe00171d264a0 P3: fffff801909aebf8 P4: 0 P5: 0 P6: 10_0_10586 P7: 0_0 P8: 768_1 P9: P10:[/quote]

axe0, Jun 8, 2016
  5. HansW Win User
    Hello, axe0

Sorry to bother you again. Thank you very much for your help!
    "Could you provide me a link to the specs of your memory?"
    I believe this is the memory I have. (I referred to the label on their case "PC4-19200, Patriot Signature Line".) But unfortunately, it doesn't show the default timings...

I will check logitech for driver updates now.

I will also use DDU to uninstall AMD drivers.
    (Up until now I've been doing this everytime http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2...u-drivers.html.)

After that I will use that tutorial you referred to.
    (I always install everything but raptor and HDMI audio, but I won't this time. While referring to that tutorial I'll only install the bare minimum.)

HansW, Jun 8, 2016
  6. HansW Win User
    I installed the driver for the C615 logitech webcam. (I never had it installed before.)

Used DDU to uninstall the amd driver in safe mode (had auto updates disabled beforehand).
    I mistakenly installed some logitech gaming software for the mouse (went on a logitech driver update rampage). For some reason my mouse wouldn't work launching into safe mode.

Tried uninstalling that logitech gaming software (only software I could find for the mouse), but my mouse still wouldn't work in safemode, so I just used keyboard to navigate DDU.

Successfully uninstalled AMD drivers, and installed the GPU "drivers" only (I will use this cool, minimal install method (via unpacking the installer) from here on out).

I will check this thread once a day for a week (in case there's something I need to do about the memory). If no problems occur at all by next Saturday I will close it as solved.

Thank you very much for your time, axe0!

(I've never messed with any of the memory settings in the bios, ever. I don't even have the option to set XMP. Asus Bios just auto ups the speed.)

HansW, Jun 8, 2016
  7. axe0 New Member
    No problem, I would just like to know what it is set to *Smile

Please do not edit posts after a few hours, chances are that they won't be seen because nobody will be notified with changes but only with new replies.

axe0, Jun 9, 2016
  8. HansW Win User

"No problem, I would just like to know what it is set to *Smile"
    Sorry I'm not sure exactly what to check. Could you tell me the exact types of memory settings I should check?

"Please do not edit posts after a few hours, chances are that they won't be seen because nobody will be notified with changes but only with new replies."
    Got it. I'll stop doing that.*chuckle

HansW, Jun 9, 2016
  9. axe0 New Member
    Sorry forgot to add that, the frequency & voltage & the timings of the memory.

axe0, Jun 9, 2016
  10. HansW Win User
    No problem at all! Thanks!

Here is everything mem-related I could find. (The timings list is really long, but almost every single thing is set to auto. I can write it all down, but it'll take maybe half an hour to do that and post back.)

Here is all the other info I could find regarding RAM settings...

Frequency: 2400MHz
    Voltage: 1.208
    Capacity: 16348
    System Agent(SA) Configuration/Memory Configuration > Memory Remap: Enabled

Target DRAM Frequency: 2400MHz
    BCLK Frequency DRAM Frequency Radio: Auto
    DRAM Odd Ration Mode: Enabled
    DRAM Frequency: Auto

HansW, Jun 9, 2016
  11. HansW Win User
    Here's everything except for the "Third Timings" and "RTL IOL Control". (There are about 30 settings in each of these. All of them were set to Auto, but most of them had specific CHA and CHB values.)

Primary Timings CHA CHB
    DRAM CAS# Latency 16 16 Auto
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 16 16 Auto
    DRAM RAS# ACT Time 39 39 Auto
    DRAM Command Rate Auto

Secondary Timings
    CHA CHB
    DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay L 6 6 Auto
    DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay S 4 4 Auto
    DRAM REF Cycle Time 313 313 Auto
    DRAM Refresh Interval 9364 9364 Auto
    DRAM WRITE Recovery Time Auto
    DRAM READ to PRE Time 9 9 Auto
    DRAM FOUR ACT WIN Time 26 26 Auto
    DRAM WRITE to READ Delay L Auto
    DRAM WRITE to READ Delay S Auto
    DRAM CKE Minimum Pulse Width 6 6 Auto
    DRAM Write Latency 15 15 Auto
    Skew Control (Every single setting set to Auto)
    Misc.
    MRC Fast Boot Auto
    DRAM CLC Read Auto
    Memory Scrambler Auto
    Channel A DIMM Control Enable both DIMMS
    Channel B DIMM Control Enable both DIMMS
    MCH Fill Check Auto
    DLL BwEn Auto
    DRAM SPD Write Auto

HansW, Jun 9, 2016
  12. axe0 New Member
    You could make a photo/screenshot of it *Smile

13. HansW Win User

lol
    My phone is terrible. It'd be completely illegible. I guess I could've done a screenshot somehow.

Do you need the Third Timings and RTL IOL Control and all that? If so, I'll look into to getting that info via screenshot.
    A photo just won't suffice.

HansW, Jun 9, 2016
  14. axe0 New Member
    I just need a few basic stuff and you've given them *Smile

15. HansW Win User
    Ah cool. Thanks so much for your time, axe0.

Btw, I've had no problems yet having uninstalled/installed gpu driver packages and installed the logitech drivers!
    If you change your mind, I got those screenshots ready! hehe

Apologies for the sheity formatting on the hand-typed settings.

HansW, Jun 9, 2016
Thema:

1. "IRQL not less or equal" BSOD after installing new bios and gpu driver - Similar Threads - IRQL less equal

2. BSOD Driver irql not less or equal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD Driver irql not less or equal: CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 7900 12-Core Processor 3.70 GHzRAM 64.0GBx64 processorwindow 10 pro 19045.3693bug check code 0x000000d1caused by driver dxgkrnl.syscaused by address dxgkrnl.sys+d70e0processor x64crash address ntoskrnl.exe+3fd730BSOD keep occur when I use WSL for deep...
  3. BSOD Driver irql not less or equal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Driver irql not less or equal: CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 7900 12-Core Processor 3.70 GHzRAM 64.0GBx64 processorwindow 10 pro 19045.3693bug check code 0x000000d1caused by driver dxgkrnl.syscaused by address dxgkrnl.sys+d70e0processor x64crash address ntoskrnl.exe+3fd730BSOD keep occur when I use WSL for deep...
  4. BSOD Driver irql not less or equal

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. BSOD: DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD: DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL: Hello everyone, I had a problem earlier with a BSOD. I'm running Windows 10 64-bitCPU: AMD FX-6100GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 RAM: 8GB DDR3I have the .dmp files here:https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjUybNVmDUiyiydHikz7SA93lW-1?e=aw2t7bThanks...
  6. BSOD: DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

BSOD: DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL: Hello everyone, I had a problem earlier with a BSOD. I'm running Windows 10 64-bitCPU: AMD FX-6100GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 RAM: 8GB DDR3I have the .dmp files here:https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjUybNVmDUiyiydHikz7SA93lW-1?e=aw2t7bThanks...
  7. BSOD Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal: My PC became unstable in the last 24 hours, and has given me three different BSODs. One is the 'Driver not less or equal', so I'm guessing a driver is causing this.Could someone take a look at these minidumps to see if they list a problematic driver?...
  8. BSOD Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal

BSOD Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal: My PC became unstable in the last 24 hours, and has given me three different BSODs. One is the 'Driver not less or equal', so I'm guessing a driver is causing this.Could someone take a look at these minidumps to see if they list a problematic driver?...
  9. driver irql not less or equal BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    driver irql not less or equal BSOD: Hi, I have recently bought a HP laptop 4-5 months ago and I came across multiple crashes already. All of these crashes involved a BSOD,the first one had the title: system thread exception not handled and I looked it up online and did manage to fix it. A couple weeks later, I...
  10. BSOD - Driver IRQL not less or equal

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - Driver IRQL not less or equal: This started happening after I updated windows to 2004. Occasionally I would get a BSOD, and it would happen at different times, so I don't know what I exactly did to cause it. The "stop code" was: 'DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL'. I've gotten this problem a week ago, but I...