Windows 10: "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSODs some time after a hardware upgrade

Discus and support "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSODs some time after a hardware upgrade in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; TL;DR: I'd like to ask you guys for some guidance diagnosing "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSODs. ====================== Hi guys! It's my first post here... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Krzysiek Setlak, Apr 5, 2020.

1. "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSODs some time after a hardware upgrade

TL;DR: I'd like to ask you guys for some guidance diagnosing "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSODs.

======================

Hi guys! It's my first post here yeah, you guessed it, I registered specifically to post this here ;P and it will be lengthy... But it's all with best intentions to be as detailed as possible so I hope you bear with me.

The issue is as follows: when I stress my PC a bit by running a game that has some more substantial hardware requirements recently it was Borderlands 3, but for example GTA V also managed to give my PC a hard time... I get a BSOD OK, GSOD to be exact as it's very, very green! ; and all the error description is "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". So no stopcode. This started happening after an extensive hardware upgrade, but not right after it - I managed to game on it for quite a bit and I played these exact titles that crash the PC now. I guess I got at least a solid 100 h of uninterrupted, correct operation with new hardware installed before it started crashing.

Of course I've done my best not being an ignorant slacker and googled around a bit before posting, but all I got was VERY general and I couldn't find any info on how to pinpoint which exact piece of hardware gives me my bad time. So here's the list of suspects in our little investigation ranked from most to least likely to be the culprit.

- Motherboard;

- PSU;

- RAM;

- GPU;

- CPU;

- filesystem / a hardware issue with storage.

Build

So the PC is based on a build I've composed waaaaay bac 2009 as far as I could establish... and back then it was pretty ****... It server me well, but ultimately a graphics card not supporting DX11 i DX12 and a slow magnetic HDD had to go. So I presented myself with a challenge: I'll upgrade the rig, but squeezing an amount of bang for the buck that would make daddy proud. No mercy, it had all to be cheap and perform well. So here it is for your convenience I marked what pieces of hardware are a part of the original build and which were installed recently:

[OLD] Motherboard: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
    [OLD] CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
    [NEW] GPU: AMD Maxsun Radeon RX 580 2048SP
    RAM:
    [OLD] - 2 x Kingston 2048 MB DDR3 1333 MHz https://linux-hardware.org/index.php?id=mem:kingston-9905403-011-a03lf
    [NEW] - 2 x PLEXHD 4096 DDR3 1333 MHz CAS latency: CL9; Memory timing sequence: 9-9-9-24
    [NEW] Storage:
    - LVCARDS SSD 256 GB
    [OLD] Case: CoolerMaster Elite 331 + szyba
    [OLD] PSU: CoolerMaster RS-520-ASAA-A1 520W

My take on the list of suspects

Motherboard: Main suspect. An old lady. Moreover, I've been clocking my CPU a tad up after the upgrade core clock multiplier x16 default -> x17 and maybe the motherboard got a bit damaged because of this.

PSU: Another part that may well be dying of old age. The system only BSODs when CPU, GPU and RAM are all very busy at the same time, so this might indicate that the power supply doesn't manage.

RAM: Two modules are chinese. From my experience cheap Chinese RAM can be troublesome even if passing the Windows Memory Diagnostic test. What speaks in favor of innocence of RAM is that the problem started occurring after a while while I guess if RAM was borked, it wouldn't work correctly from the get-go.

GPU: Another part that is a suspect because of the nationality "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSODs some time after a hardware upgrade :p Maybe some driver update introduced a bug or maybe it just burned in after a few hours and some manufacturing fault started to show its teeth?

CPU: On the list because of overclocking mentioned above. Maybe it's fried a little... But on the other hand if it was so, then a stress test of the CPU itself would crash the system.

filesystem or a hardware sotrage fault: It's here just because some articles on the web mention that IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL may be caused by this. But I doubt that, besides I've checked the FS on the drive multiple times and it was fine each time.

What do I really want from you? "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSODs some time after a hardware upgrade :p

I'd like to please get some solid advice on how to diagnose this and how to isolate the exact piece of hardware that's failing. Like, how to determine that it's the MoBo and not the PSU...

Please remember, that the challenge I've set for myself is to be cost effective and solve issues with more of brainpower and less of walletpower. Of course I could buy a brand new mid-tier rig and be done with it, but that's giving up and fighting the problem with my bare fists is part of the fun perhaps more than using the rig after it's fixed "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSODs some time after a hardware upgrade :p So while I am prepared that maybe the only way is to give the PC to a professional PC service center, I think of it as a last resort and I prefer to tinker myself.

What I've tried so far

Windows memory diagnostic, MemTest x86 and trying my RAM dice in all possible configs only old, only new, various combos of old and new in different slots

The full diagnostic cycle revealed no problems with RAM. However, I know from experience this doesn't guarantee that everything is fine... At this point I'm quite confident it's not RAM.

Reducing / increasing voltages on the motherboard

I tried changing some voltages up and down and nothing changes. This doesn't mean this definitely cannot help as my changes were pretty uninformed - I'm a complete noob in all these north bridge, south bridge thingies.

Event Viewer

I've searched through the Windows Event Viewer Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System but to no avail.
    Also, no memory dump was saved at C:\Windows\MEMDUMP.SYS.

Stress test with a benchmark

My rig has no problem completing the entire cycle of the "Superposition" benchmark on extreme settings ~20 FPS avg, but that's not the point, the point is to push the hardware. This is probably because it mostly pushes the GPU, but RAM - not so much. The problem seems to mostly occur when many subsystems are under pressure at one time, that is why the motherboard and the PSU are my main suspects.

Different GPU driver versions

I've tried installing two versions of drivers for my GPU with release dates spaced in time quite a bit - no difference.

Full system reinstall

I've reinstalled the system completely - no improvement.

Core dumps

I've recreated the error making two core dumps. They're here along with results of their analysis using WinDbg X86 and output from MSInfo.

So that's all, folks. If you managed to push through all this ton of text - thanks and hope some of you guys will be able to help me!

:)

Krzysiek Setlak, Apr 5, 2020

2. BSOD after windows upgrade(irql_not_less_or_equal)

I recently upgraded my windows 7 to Windows 10 and since then I get a BSOD, I think every time I use a lot of system memory. I have run the windows verifier, getting the BSOD "irql_not_less_or_equal". I also have the dmp files. Where can I submit them
    for solving the issue?

VasilisPetrou, Apr 5, 2020
  3. BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Hey, The BSOD IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message is related to a hardware problem and more namely a driver problem. It can usually be solved with a quick driver uninstall and reinstall from your manufacturer or through windows.

I suggest downloading DDU which will delete your drivers and make everything clean. AFter that find the manufacturer for your GPU and reinstall the drivers. Or go through device manager and use that.

DDU link:
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-dri...

Zackary Vanosdol, Apr 5, 2020
  4. "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSODs some time after a hardware upgrade

Various BSOD Errors Help

Hey all,

I've received multiple BSOD errors the past 2 days after rebuilding my PC. I've been trying to figure out the issue.

These are the few BSOD messages I remember seeing:

• DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (multiple times)
    • CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (one time)
    • IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (one time)
    • WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (multiple times)
    Here's a link to the dmp files and system information: WindowsIssue

Steps I've taken:

• fully updated drivers
    • applied all Windows updates
    • Removed unnecessary hardware
    • Monitored CPU/GPU temps (log file on temps during last crash in share)
    Any help would be appreciated.

brando8924, Apr 5, 2020
Thema:

"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSODs some time after a hardware upgrade

1. "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSODs some time after a hardware upgrade - Similar Threads - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSODs hardware

2. BSOD - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL after memory upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL after memory upgrade: Hi,I have a Lenovo laptop S145-15IWL 81MV00CEIV.The laptop had 8GB RAM 4GB + 4GB soldered to the boardI've replaced the RAM memory with a new one of 16GB totally 20GB.Since then I'm experiencing BSOD with the error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUALI've checked all drivers updates and...
  3. BSOD after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after hardware upgrade: Hello!I keep getting a BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR everytime I play a certain game half life alyx, and sometimes new world or run the OCCT power test for about 10-20min. I suspected the new graphics card RTX 3080, because the error disappeared when I put in my old graphics...
  4. BSOD after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD after hardware upgrade: Hello!I keep getting a BSOD WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR everytime I play a certain game half life alyx, and sometimes new world or run the OCCT power test for about 10-20min. I suspected the new graphics card RTX 3080, because the error disappeared when I put in my old graphics...
  5. BSOD after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. BSODs after hardware upgrades

BSODs after hardware upgrades: HI all, I've posted on here a couple times already and have followed the advice so far. I have upgraded my PC, mobob550 steel legend cpuryzen 5 3600 case. and added a new SSD. I went from intel to amd. I have only just recently done a full wipe and reinstall of windows,...
  7. BSOD after hardware upgrades

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD after hardware upgrades: Hi all, I had installed new parts into my PC and ever since I've had frequent BSODs. I installed a new motherboard, CPU, PC case, new SSD and powersupply.Motherboard is a B550 Steel Legend, CPU is AMD Ryzen 5 3600I had upgraded from a Core i5 6400. I have note done a clean...
  8. BSOD after hardware upgrades

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD after hardware upgrades: Hi all, I had installed new parts into my PC and ever since I've had frequent BSODs. I installed a new motherboard, CPU, PC case, new SSD and powersupply.Motherboard is a B550 Steel Legend, CPU is AMD Ryzen 5 3600I had upgraded from a Core i5 6400. I have note done a clean...
  9. BSOD after hardware upgrades

10. BSOD after hardware upgrade.

BSOD after hardware upgrade.: In order of events: - Upgraded i5-6600k + msi z170a board to ryzen 3700x + asrock x570 phantom gaming 4 - Installed all drivers from new motherboard website - Started getting frequent bsod, at first "memory management" then other error codes - Ran windows memory diagnostic...