Windows 10: Is 1511 the last version on which updates can be disabled completely and effectively?

Discus and support Is 1511 the last version on which updates can be disabled completely and effectively? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; After experiencing many different issues on many different PCs I decided I've had it. Next week my new laptop is coming and I want to install Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/marg9, Nov 8, 2019.

1. /u/marg9 Win User

Is 1511 the last version on which updates can be disabled completely and effectively?

After experiencing many different issues on many different PCs I decided I've had it. Next week my new laptop is coming and I want to install Windows 10 on which I plan to completely disable updates. I don't want a single update installed.

In my experience as in IT guy, I've realized that version 1511 works the best of them all, and wondered why is that so. I've realized it's because I would disable Windows Update service and it would stay that way, while on other Windows versions it was rarely successful; disabling updates via forceful ways would often result in some kind od OS malfunction which would manifest down the road or quite simply the updates would reenable themselves.

Rant: And why the hell do I need updates, in my practice as an IT guy I've never seen any pragmatic benefit from them, not even security one. Good question is also why do we need new Windows 10 versions, it's just more complexity and being spied upon without real control with only minimal new features IMHO. So I don't mind using older Windows 10 version as long as it's good and stable.

So, is 1511 really the last Windows version that agrees with forceful disabling of updates without problems arising? More so, are there some other way to disable updates on newer versions such as 1803 which REALLY WORKS RELIABLY (I must stress), and which is proven to work without troubles occurring?

Notice: Please do not say I should not disable updates, we're past that point.

I know my English is bad but you understand what I want to say. ;-)

submitted by /u/marg9
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/marg9, Nov 8, 2019
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Is 1511 the last version on which updates can be disabled completely and effectively? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Nov 8, 2019
  3. Windows 10 November Update (1511 Version)

Hi,

It is generally recommended to disable antivirus application before upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 / Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

Say, for example, my OS is Windows 10 Pro and I want to install the November update (version 1511) that is available through Windows 10 Update.

Should I also disable my antivirus before installing the November Update (Windows 10 version 1511) ???

Kindly suggest me regarding this.

Thanks & regards,

Shankar

Shankar Subramanyam, Nov 8, 2019
  4. Is 1511 the last version on which updates can be disabled completely and effectively?

Update to Windows 10 version 1511 stuck at 29%

Hi,

Welcome and thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about upgrade to Windows 10 version 1511 as the update stuck at 29%. We will help you with this issue.

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted Windows Updates components, anti-virus software, speed of internet connection.

• Do let us know if you are using wired/ wireless internet connection?

If you are using wireless internet connection, I suggest you to switch to wired connection (Connected the internet cable to your device) and try if you are able to run the Windows Update.

Method 1: I suggest you to uninstall anti-virus software and run the Windows Updates troubleshooter.

Step 1: Disable anti-virus software. If the issue still persists, try to uninstall the anti-virus software.

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install
    other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Step 2: I suggest you to
    run the Windows Update troubleshooter and check if you are able to install the updates.

Windows Update Troubleshooter resolves problems that prevents you from updating windows.

Steps:

• Press Windows + X, click on Control Panel, select
      Category and then select Large or Small icons.

• Click on Troubleshooting
      and click on View all in the left pane.

• Select Windows Update
      to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue still persists then,

Method 2: I suggest you to try the steps mentioned in
    Reset Windows Update components
    and check if you are able to find the Windows Updates.

Registry disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that
    you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Refer to the below article to backup and restore the registry in Windows:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

Note: The above links applies to Windows 10 as well.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 8, 2019
Thema:

Is 1511 the last version on which updates can be disabled completely and effectively?

1. Is 1511 the last version on which updates can be disabled completely and effectively? - Similar Threads - 1511 last version

2. Update From Win 10 Version 1511

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update From Win 10 Version 1511: HiI am trying to udate my Dad's old Toshiba P300 Pro laptop to the latest Win 10 version, it was sold with Win 10 1511 installed. Windows update always crashed on reboot. I have checked drivers in device manager, Tried updating in Safe mode and clean boot, checked the memory,...
  3. Update computer from version 1511

Update computer from version 1511: I inherited a computer from a neighbor and it's running Windows 10 version 1511. Is there an easy and quick way to update the OS on this computer to the current version without going through Microsoft Update? I've tried that and it doesn't seem to want to update me to...
  4. updating from version 1511 to 1809

updating from version 1511 to 1809: I'm currently with out my Iphone because if this debauckle of an update I'm on a hp stream note book and I need to upate it from version 1511 to 1809 but the one update kb800705b4 keeps on crashing and then then the feature update for version 1809 does too ive ran the update...
  5. windows update not working (version 1511)

windows update not working (version 1511): I am trying to update, but when it gets to installing update it gets stuck at 13% and after awhile it shows error code 0x800705b4. I have a HP Convertible x360 with an Intel Celeron CPU...
  6. Windows 10 update version 1511 to version 1803

Windows 10 update version 1511 to version 1803: I have a Dell D620. Originally it was on XP then updated to Windows 7. It would only update to Win 10 version 1511. I lost the hours of attempting to update, always failed. Today I got it to Windows 10 Version 1803. This is what I did. 1. Formatted the drive and re-installed...
  7. How can COMPLETLY disable windows updates?

How can COMPLETLY disable windows updates?: I dont need updates. Never (its mean - never) I disabled services, deleted from task scheduler, disabled in group polices but then I going away from computer that ***ked windows installed an update and rebooted computer. What I need to do for completly disabled updates?...
  8. Update Version 1511, 10586 Won't install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update Version 1511, 10586 Won't install: Good morning everyone! My updates show that 1511, 10586 is ready and will install after a restart. Well after it restarts it does nothing at all. Just restarts normally. It is set to auto restart so it just pops up in the middle of everything to restart and still does...
  9. Bad Version 1511 NVIDIA Driver Update?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bad Version 1511 NVIDIA Driver Update?: I have Windows 10 Pro, Version 1511. I've not updated to Version 1607 because of FUD regarding the NVIDIA drivers. Starting a couple of days ago, just after a Windows update, I have a 1511 problem: when I boot up, the displays (I have 4) blink at seemingly random times, and...
  10. Updated Version 1511 to anniversary update, 1607, but still at 1511

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updated Version 1511 to anniversary update, 1607, but still at 1511: Hello all. Running windows 10 pro 64 bit. I've updated from Version 1511 to the anniversary update, 1607. Or at least, I thought I did. The update went well, no hiccups, no errors. Used windows update, let it downloaded and install and rebooted. Alas, system...