Windows 10: Is 5GHZ really 10 X faster than 2.4 GHZ

Discus and support Is 5GHZ really 10 X faster than 2.4 GHZ in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks @theveterans There's a difference between accessing a web site via Wifi and transferring FILES between two computers on your LAN. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Sep 27, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Is 5GHZ really 10 X faster than 2.4 GHZ

Hi folks

@theveterans
    There's a difference between accessing a web site via Wifi and transferring FILES between two computers on your LAN.

I doubt even on 5GHZ wifi you'll get an average speed of transferring a 5 GB file between TWO separate computers at much more than around 11 - 12 MB/s (MegaBYTES / sec). You might see a crazy value for a few secs at start of the transfer but after about 1 sec or so it will settle down.

These files are going from HDD on computer 1 to HDD on computer 2 so of course HDD and MOBO bus speeds will come into play as well. For Local HDD -->Ext USB3 connected (via SATA - USB3) speed is around 250 - 300 MB/s - about 20 X as fast not unexpectedly of course.

I doubt on decent wifi you'll get much faster throughput then 11 - 12 MB/s as I've said -- however on a LAN then of course all bets are off as that depends on the LAN quality which can easily be 1GB/s.

The Internet connection speed to your ISP is irrelevant here -- it's how fast and how much throughput you can get through a Router.

You can generally get better throughput if you use a Router as an Ethernet-wifi bridge.

For example connect a Laptop's LAN to an old router you can set as an Ethernet bridge and ensure this router connects to your wifi 5GHZ in "Bridged mode". The throughput will almost certainly be better than simply using the Wifi card on a laptop. If you don't have a LAN card on the laptop a cheap USB-->LAN costing around 5 USD works wonders too.

I use the Bridged system for connecting a NAS box (actually 2 NAS boxes) to my LAN as they only have Ethernet connectors and as I'm running Linux it's almost impossible to find decent USB wifi adapters that work. The throughput is fine for streaming full 1080p HD movies via PLEX to remote TV's etc. So long as you can get more than 5MB/s streaming should be fine.

For 4K UHD movie streaming -- not tried it yet as I get that direct on my SKY Q box direct into a decent sized TV via satellite. I'd imagine though you'd need to have a minimum of around 20 MB/s or better to stream these movies to remote devices and as for the 8K mega super UHD TV - don't even think about it at the moment.

I think we'll soon need Wifi etc available up to the multi GB/s soon -- I think consumers demands this time will be well beyond the capacity of the ISP's to supply it and hardware manufacturers to produce the relevant hardware in any decent timely fashion.

I think also in the technical spec for 5GHZ wifi ac the max is about an average of 860 Mb/s in any case (MegaBITS) -- might be wrong there but it's about that order. Technically if everything is OK you could get 1Gb/s (GigaBITS) but real life situations will shave around 15% off the maximum. So 11 - 12 MB/s is the BEST you can do (MegaBYTES) unless you know how to bypass The Laws of Physics.

There's obviously confusion here about BITS/sec and BYTES / SEC. Windows explorer displays transfer in BYTES/SEC. Most Internet speed tests are BITS/Sec.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 2, 2016
  2. Adalwar Win User

@jimbo:
    "I doubt on decent wifi you'll get much faster throughput then 11 - 12 MB/s as I've said "
    That is quite off; If theveterans get a connection @866.5Mbps over WiFi, actually the File Transfer speed will be as much as (max.) 23.10MB/s. And in best conditions the "lost" will be around 5%. With increase of "poor" Signals, will dramatically decrease speed. Even just moving LapTop few 10th of Inch or rotate slightly will affect Signal.
    And as 5Ghz vs. 2,4Ghz, that is not the question, the question is what 802.11 Standard is negotiated among all Devices in Network and which speed they connect. So, I suggest to configure every device "No Band Preference". As a matter of fact, WiFi will use Both 2.4 and 5GHz in 802.11AC.

Adalwar, Oct 2, 2016
  3. That's just a USB 3.0 flash drive that's attached to the router doing read from USB to WiFi.

When I used to have a desktop attached to the router via Ethernet, Ethernet -> WiFi will get about 50 MB/s max speed on an 866.5 Mbps connection and average of 30-35 MB/s when transferring large 4.3 GB ISO files. WiFi to Ethernet is slower since the TX power of my Surface Pro 3 is much less than the TX power of the router obviously (around 20 MB/s Max for SP3 WiFi -> USB).

@ jimbo, laptop/tablet WiFi -> laptop/tablet WiFi transfer will be a lot slower and I would bet that I would get the same 11-12 MB/s speed that you are getting. To maximize the WiFi speeds, you must have the same router in bridge mode. That for sure will max out the WiFi - WiFi transfer speed since both have the power and range to penetrate obstacles thus maximizing speed.

Overall, I'm happy that my 300 Mbps internet flows through cable -> WiFi with one wood wall in between the router. I'm certain that cement wall will surely kill the 5 GHz WiFi and 2.4 GHz connection will be more beneficial and stable despite less speed.

theveterans, Oct 3, 2016
  4. Is 5GHZ really 10 X faster than 2.4 GHZ

37 MB/s = 296 Mbps which is below the average max realistic peak throughput of 500 Mbps with 367 Mbps of "overhead". I read that somewhere on SmallNetBuilder, but can't pinpoint the reference.

theveterans, Oct 3, 2016
  5. Just did a throughput test from my SP3 to LEXAR USB flash drive that's attached to my router. I get a max 16 MB/s transfer rate. I don't know if the WiFi or the USB write speed or even the router's processor is the bottleneck.

Is 5GHZ really 10 X faster than 2.4 GHZ [​IMG]

theveterans, Oct 3, 2016
  6. Adalwar Win User
    That is correct.
    That is not True, completely off.

Adalwar, Oct 3, 2016
  7. Adalwar Win User
    To Test your USB 3.0 speed , WIndows a good Performance Test Utility.
    In an elevated command prompt type:
    WinSAT disk -Drive X:
    where X is the Drive letter of your USB3.0

Adalwar, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Is 5GHZ really 10 X faster than 2.4 GHZ

1. Is 5GHZ really 10 X faster than 2.4 GHZ - Similar Threads - 5GHZ really faster

2. Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...: Correct or not?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/answer-this-question-2-cores-2-ghz-processor-4-ghz/eb1a1d2d-90d7-49da-87bc-5f561398c240
  3. Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Answer This Question, 2 Cores + 2 Ghz Processor = 4 Ghz or 2 Ghz Each Core 1Ghz + 1 Ghz = 2...: Correct or not?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/answer-this-question-2-cores-2-ghz-processor-4-ghz/eb1a1d2d-90d7-49da-87bc-5f561398c240
  4. Window 7 is faster than Window 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Window 7 is faster than Window 10: Hi ,I have three pc of all 4 GB RAM two with window 7 and one with ten .Both pc of window 7 have too many heavy software still they both are very fast.But pc with window 10 is quite slow and also sometime hang also it has no heavy software....
  5. Apple M1 runs Windows on ARM faster than the Surface Pro X

in Windows 10 News
    Apple M1 runs Windows on ARM faster than the Surface Pro X: Based on the new benchmarks, we can confidently say that Apple M1 processor is impressive and it currently runs Windows 10 faster than the processor that ships with Microsoft’s Surface Pro X lineup. Apple’s ARM-based M1 processor is currently available in the MacBook and Mac...
  6. how to swap from 5ghz to 2.4 ghz

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to swap from 5ghz to 2.4 ghz: trying to change my wifi connection from 5 ghz to 2.4 ghz so that i can connect lights to my phone via wifi/bluetooth. in need of assistance on how to swap between the two. any advice is helpful....
  7. 5Ghz Band is slower than my 2 Ghz Band Also high ping on 5Ghz

in Windows 10 Gaming
    5Ghz Band is slower than my 2 Ghz Band Also high ping on 5Ghz: I have a problem: I have a good Wifi Router and 100Mbps download and 10Mbps upload on all my devices ecpect my windows pc. A few weeks ago I had 100 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload on my 5ghz network ... but now I have 50 Mbps download and a unstable ping in games. When...
  8. How to know if drive A (SSD) is really faster than drive B (NVME)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to know if drive A (SSD) is really faster than drive B (NVME): Hi, I've got 2 inertnal SSD hard drives being used as part of my music studio, where I'm trying to get the quickest load/read times possible. These drives are not being written to - just read. Upon loading audio samples into my digital instruments, I'm not sure if I can tell...
  9. Windows 7 is faster than Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 is faster than Windows 10: Hello Please guide me. Some users say Windows 7 is faster than Windows 10. What do you think? Thankful poneh_co https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-7-is-faster-than-windows-10/8bc63f96-38ea-4cc6-a929-6f9c2348d50d
  10. Is Chrome Really Faster Now

in Browsers and Email
    Is Chrome Really Faster Now: I wonder why MS even put it in Windows 10?? Because there are many proprietary Share Point Server functions that ONLY work in IE and only designed to work there, and no other browser. Many companies use Share Point in their internal networks and depend on both IE and Share...