Windows 10: Is 64GB of HDD cache enough to read UHD videos?

Discus and support Is 64GB of HDD cache enough to read UHD videos? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey guys, Currently running 2 old Seagate 7200RPM class HDDs with 64MB cache. One is failing and I'm looking to replace it with a quieter HDD as I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Arese, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Arese Win User

Is 64GB of HDD cache enough to read UHD videos?

Hey guys,

Currently running 2 old Seagate 7200RPM class HDDs with 64MB cache.
    One is failing and I'm looking to replace it with a quieter HDD as I turned this rig into an HTPC.

I decided to downgrade to a 5400RPM as I heard they were quieter/generating less vibration and more reliable which is what I need.

For now I'm set on the WD Blue 3TB 5400RPM 64MB

However I'm wondering if there would be any benefits to upgrade to a 5400RPM 128MB HDD?

And to answer that question I need to know how media players, MPC-HC more specifically, use HDD caches if they use at all. Do they cache bits of video files ahead of reading that passage to serve as some sort of buffer in case?

Any insights would be appreciated

Thanks

:)

Arese, Jun 16, 2020
  2. Johankaan Win User

unlock hdd

Johankaan, Jun 16, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Slow HDD read and write speeds

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will require a few more information from you to help you further with the issue. Please reply with the following details:

• In which device are you facing this issue?
    • Are you using an external HDD or internal HDD?
    • Are you getting the read and write speed issue on any particular application?

However, you can Disk Defragment on your computer to optimize the drive. To run Disk Defragment please follow the steps from the article

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

Alternatively, you can check for the read and write speed of the HDD in task manager. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check the read and write speed of the hard drive:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Performance tab.
    3. Click on Disk 0.
    4. You will find the Read speed and
      Write speed
      at the bottom of the window.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 16, 2020
  4. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Is 64GB of HDD cache enough to read UHD videos? - Similar Threads - 64GB HDD cache

2. Video glitch? Intel UHD 655

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Video glitch? Intel UHD 655: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Gintoro [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/tt3868/video_glitch_intel_uhd_655/
  3. Video shortcut not enough space error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Video shortcut not enough space error: I accidently set my windows default video file to E drive, try to restore to default but it told me that I don't have enough space, even tho I have >200GB on C drive and >150GB on D drive, when I try to move to other location in E drive, it told me that is invalid....
  4. Video shortcut not enough space error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video shortcut not enough space error: I accidently set my windows default video file to E drive, try to restore to default but it told me that I don't have enough space, even tho I have >200GB on C drive and >150GB on D drive, when I try to move to other location in E drive, it told me that is invalid....
  5. Video shortcut not enough space error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. HDD cache flushing - on battery vs plugged in

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HDD cache flushing - on battery vs plugged in: Hi everybody, my laptop has a primary SSD and a secondary HDD. After trying all possible drivers, the best behaving one is fine when my PC is plugged in but on battery the bad HDD spindown behaviour comes back. Hence, I am trying to find at least all of the Windows 10...
  7. Use SSD as cache for HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Use SSD as cache for HDD: Hello everyone! I was wondering if I could use a 128GB SSD as cache for my 2TB HDD. What program should I use? Is it a native Windows feature? Is this the right subreddit to post this? Thanks :) submitted by /u/GnossisYT [link] [comments]...
  8. read a video

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    read a video: How can I read a video instead of listening to it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-a-video/9858bfea-c07c-47e5-9bb1-e195575f2a15
  9. HDD not reading

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD not reading: Hello, I have a custom built system and I have an SSD and 2 HDD, one is a WD 1TB and the other is a Seagate 3TB. The 3TB drive however does not show in disk management however the disk is shown in device manager and in the properties it reads connected and working properly...
  10. SKY Q 4K UHD TV - any decent software for watching UHD video

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SKY Q 4K UHD TV - any decent software for watching UHD video: Hi there I've seen some Olympic Games and English Premier league football in 4K with a colleagues SKY Q box --brilliant -- makes the old 1080i look a bit like standard DVD on a reasonably sized TV. (48 inch or bigger). Any stand alone software to stream UHD content to a...