Windows 10: Is 7 pro OEM version eligible for upgrade to Windows 10?

Discus and support Is 7 pro OEM version eligible for upgrade to Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I purchased a Windows seven OEM cd from Amazon to upgrade from vista. I'm now wanting to upgrade to ten and the installation using a usb stick gets to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by lbeck, Dec 30, 2015.

1. lbeck Win User

Is 7 pro OEM version eligible for upgrade to Windows 10?

I purchased a Windows seven OEM cd from Amazon to upgrade from vista. I'm now wanting to upgrade to ten and the installation using a usb stick gets to the screen where it asks for a product key. The OEM disk doesn't have one.
    the install apparently will not proceed.

Is is there a workaround?

:)

lbeck, Dec 30, 2015
  2. Figo12YW Win User

Upgrading from Windows 8.1. Professional retail product key to Windows 10 -- what happens to your product key and right to reinstall?

Hi, just a question, all OEM 8.1 Windows Pro versions will be eligible for upgrading to Windows 10 for free? Or there are OEM versions that will not be eligibly to upgrade for free?

Thanks for the info!

Figo12YW, Dec 30, 2015
  3. Jasmine_J Win User
    How to downgrade Windows 10 Pro (OEM) ?

I recently purchased a HP Envy laptop with Windows 10 Pro ( 64bit ) installed. For reasons beyond the scope of this post, I'd like to downgrade it to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7. According the the Microsoft's OEM page on understanding the downgrade rights,
    I am eligible to downgrade this OEM build of Windows 10 Pro. But I'm not sure how to go about doing it. There is no "go back to previous version of windows" option in the Control Panel/Recovery Option. The only think I have with me is the OEM license key for
    the Windows 10 Pro.

I contacted HP Support, and they actually refused the very claim that I'm even eligible for a downgrade. Upon escalating my issue to a higher level at HP support, they simply threw in the towel and said I should contact Microsoft(!).

So while I'm pretty certain( based on what I have read ) that the OEM build of Windows 10 Pro is eligible for downgrade, I'm really not sure how to go about installing a older version(8.1 pro or 7 pro).

Thank you in advance!

-JasmineJ

Jasmine_J, Dec 30, 2015
  4. Word Man Win User

Just a clarification needed to address your question, lbeck. Are you booting from install USB intending a clean install or just running the setup.exe in the root of the USB to perform the upgrade per se? If only upgrading, you need to make sure your USB has precise edition of Win10 needed to upgrade from your Win7 edition.

Word Man, Dec 30, 2015
  5. lbeck Win User
    Well thanks for the quick response. I returned to this thread to delete my post or to say nevermind.

even though the product key is not printed anywhere on the disk or packaging, it does appear on the computer/properties screen. I have copied it and presume that will allow me to continue with Windows ten setup.

the USB stick I'm using contains setup program downloaded from the official Microsoft site.

I'll close this thread now on my end.

thanks for your repose.

lee

lbeck, Dec 30, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The computer/properties screen will not show the Windows Product Key. It will show the Product ID - which is completely different. To get the Windows 7 Product Key from the installed Windows 7 OS, you need to run showkeyplus from this fourm:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Dec 30, 2015
  7. lbeck Win User
    You are (unfortunately) entirely correct. I used ShowKey - thanks - and the utility returned my original Vista Key. I upgraded from Vista a couple of years ago with the 7 Pro OEM disk and Seven worked fine until my attempt to upgrade to Ten (at the invitation of MSFT).

Do I need to reinstall Vista, upgrade again to Seven, and then upgrade to Ten or what? See the screen capture regarding the ShowKey message at "OEM Key" and the Ten setup error.

Thanks.

lbeck, Dec 31, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

I believe Showkey plus is showing your Windows 7 Product Key. To verify, click the "Check Product Key" option of showkeyplus and enter the product key that showkeyplus is giving you as the installed key and it will clarify what version of Windows it is for. You did not answer Word Man's question in Post #2. Are you booting the computer from the Windows 10 USB or are you running setup.exe from the USB inserted from inside Windows 7? You should be running setup.exe from the USB inserted with Windows 7 running, NOT booting the computer from the USB. Then if you have the correct version of Windows on the USB flash drive it should upgrade the installed Windows 7 to Windows 10 without asking for a product key.

Alternatively, you can also use the "upgrade this PC now" option of the Media Creation Tool:
    Windows 10

NavyLCDR, Dec 31, 2015
  9. lbeck Win User
    Sorry for not responding to word man. I have been booting Windows seven and then using the USB stick to try for the update. After the unsuccessful attempts from the USB drive, I tried from the Microsoft URL. The only difference is that the URL goes through a lengthy "looking for and installing updates" prior to the request for product key and denial.

shutting down seven states "installing 211 updates" which is occurring as I write this. Maybe there is a critical update that will be installed, but I'm not optimistic that it'll help,to install ten.

showkeyplus confirms that the product key is for Windows 7 pro.

I'll check seven again after the updates.

lbeck, Jan 1, 2016
  10. lbeck Win User
    After more than three hours message is "failure configuring updates reverting changes..."

lbeck, Jan 1, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Seems like it is time for a clean install. There are a few options:

I don't think you will have to install Vista first. My Windows 7 upgrade disk will clean install. The below options are in no particular order:

1. Clean install Windows 7. You do not have to wait for the Windows 7 updates if you have a downloaded Windows 10 USB or DVD. Clean install Windows 7. Make sure it is activated. Run Windows 10 setup.exe from inside Windows 7 - just like any other file from a USB/DVD.

2. Try this with your existing Windows 7:
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First - Windows 10 Forums

3. Clean install Windows 10 Pro. Skip entering a product key when asked. After it is installed, go to the activation screen, change product key, enter the Windows 7 product key to activate it.

4. Combine 2 and 3, if option 2 fails because your current Windows 7 is messed up so you ended up with a messed up genuineticket.xml file, then you can revert to option 3.

NavyLCDR, Jan 1, 2016
  12. Saltgrass Win User
    I just used a 32 bit Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade License to clean install Windows 10 also. This system originally came with Vista but that key was not necessary.

I thought purchased OEM install media did come with a License Key which would probably work.

I really wanted to upgrade to the x64 version but the key would not work with that.

Saltgrass, Jan 1, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

The same product key works for both 32-bit and 64-bit as long as the version of the Windows 7/8/8.1/10 are the same. You had the wrong version of 64-bit downloaded.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...8-fd7feb7d1915

Google "will product key work for both 32-bit and 64-bit windows 7" and you will receive many confirmations that the same product key will install the same version Windows 7/8/8.1/10 32-bit or 64-bit.

NavyLCDR, Jan 1, 2016
  14. Saltgrass Win User
    What I tried to do originally was to use the Windows 7 32 bit Upgrade key to clean install the 64 Bit Windows 10. Doing that I got a message about the key being an update version and not usable.

I then used the same Windows 7 Upgrade key to clean install a 32 bit version of Windows 10 which worked and activated fine. Once the Windows 10 install was activated, I then clean installed, without using a key, the 64 bit version which activated fine.

All the versions were Ultimate or Pro, only the bit version caused a problem. I should also note this install is Legacy and the system originally had Vista.

Saltgrass, Jan 2, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well, glad you ended up with what you want! Now you shouldn't have any future problems until you decide to change the motherboard. *Confused

NavyLCDR, Jan 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Is 7 pro OEM version eligible for upgrade to Windows 10? - Similar Threads - pro OEM version

2. Windows 7 Pro OEM- Windows 10 Pro Upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 7 Pro OEM- Windows 10 Pro Upgrade: I would like to repurpose some old Win7 Pro OEM licensed desktops by performing an Upgrade to Windows 10 using the Microsoft Media creation tool. After performing the upgrade they will be joined to an AD domain. Now from license compliance perceptive do I need any other...
  3. Upgrading from Windows 7 OEM to 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading from Windows 7 OEM to 10: So I originally had a Windows 7 OEM, but the motherboard it was tied to short circuited and had to be replaced, so now it’s technically not genuine cause of being on a different motherboard. I was gonna upgrade my pc, including the motherboard and was wondering if I could...
  4. Can a retail Version of Windows 10 pro Retail. Upgrade a Windows 7 pro OEM?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can a retail Version of Windows 10 pro Retail. Upgrade a Windows 7 pro OEM?: Because the recent windows 10 update my computer became unusable. I couldn't access the computer because the sign in prompt disappeared and trying to do an update rollback or repair or recovery through safe mode failed. So I had to reinstall my old windows 7 pro just...
  5. Windows 10 pro OEM version

Windows 10 pro OEM version: i wanted to know if it is legal to use windows 10 Pro OEM key to activate my unactivated windows 10 pro windows on my assembled machine for my personal use ? Also if I boaght it on Ebay and got the key via msg without physical media and and no COA does that make it properly...
  6. Is it possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Win 10 for Free if Windows 7 version is OEM or is a...

Is it possible to upgrade Windows 7 to Win 10 for Free if Windows 7 version is OEM or is a...: I may just do a full fresh Win 10 install instead of upgrading from 7 since the online upgrade has repeatedly failed. I have noticed though that many people have posted that Product ID 00359-OEM-8992687-00249 the ID on his computer is an unauthorized version of Windows...
  7. how to upgrade windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro using an OEM dvd

how to upgrade windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro using an OEM dvd: My desktop runs on Windows 7 Pro, so I purchased a Windows 10 Pro OEM DVD to upgrade the operating system. I am looking for guidance on how to do the upgrade? Thanks....
  8. Windows 10 Pro OEM - Upgrade

Windows 10 Pro OEM - Upgrade: Hi I bought a new PC with Windows 10 Pro OEM on DVD. With this PC I d like to use my old SSD drive. So I insert an old SSD drive in my new computer but I can not install Windows 10 Pro OEM on it. SSD drive was installed with Windows 10 Home OEM before. I boot my new Win 10...
  9. OEM Version of Windows 10 Pro

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    OEM Version of Windows 10 Pro: Hi, Where can I get the instructions to install win 10 pro on my current windows 8.1 desktop? I tried it once with no luck. According to Frye's Electronics' it will take some tools that I can download from Microsoft. I'm not sure where I can get them and which ones....
  10. Windows 7 Pro Retail upgrades to Windows 10 Pro OEM?!

Windows 7 Pro Retail upgrades to Windows 10 Pro OEM?!: Hello, I current have Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit installed from a Retail (not OEM) copy. If I read the tutorials correctly, I understand that if I install the free upgrade to Windows 10, there is no product key and it is tied to my hardware. Even if I create install media,...