Windows 10: Is a 100mb system partition required on my data disk?

Discus and support Is a 100mb system partition required on my data disk? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I originally started with a HDD with windows installed on it and data in anther partition on the drive, then got a SSD and moved the windows partition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by reblerebel, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Is a 100mb system partition required on my data disk?

I originally started with a HDD with windows installed on it and data in anther partition on the drive, then got a SSD and moved the windows partition onto it,

my drives and partitions look like this:

Is a 100mb system partition required on my data disk? [​IMG]

I'm not sure if to remove the old SYSTEM partition or not, and if the SSD needs one also,
    My boot is also a lot slower on windows 10

Thanks for any support

:)

reblerebel, Aug 27, 2015

2. Media Creation Tool does NOT work. I get the same error when trying to update my Windows 7 to Windows 10

Here are the answer to your questions:

1) What is the size of the System reserved?

I have two drives, One SSD drive which has my operating system, and a Second HDD drive that has my data. Before I called Microsoft Tech Support ONLY my Second data HDD drive had a System Reserved Partition which was 100MB. The first Microsoft Tech Support
    person added a new partition/drive on my SSD drive named Data(YIs a 100mb system partition required on my data disk? :). I had to called Tech support to to have the try to integrate that partition back in to the rest of the SDD. He just took away the new drive but the partition is still there 100MB large.

2) How many partitions do you have?

I have 2 drive SSD and HDD. SSD has 2 partitions (One system Reserved 100MB the rest has my operating system)

HDD(One with 100MB the rest houses my Data Files)

3) Are you trying to use Dual boot on your computer?

No, I do NOT have a Dual Boot.

I don't see why Upgrading to Windows 10 is so complicated. I should not have to be a computer engineer to get my computer to upgrade.

AltonCrooks, Aug 27, 2015
  3. Jaqenh'ar Win User
    Failure of feature update 1607 (Anniversary Update) ....it was showing we couldn't update the system reserved partition ...please help to solve this

If it’s a GPT disk, it doesn't have a system reserved partition but efi partition. On MBR disk, Windows 10 requires a 500MB system reserved partition, while 100MB in Windows 7, so you can try to extend system reserved partition.

<removed link>

Jaqenh'ar, Aug 27, 2015
  4. Clintlgm Win User

Is a 100mb system partition required on my data disk?

Well yes I see you are installed Legacy BIOS MBR, fast boot, secure boot and many other features of win 8 and 10 in UEFI GPT mode are not available to you.
    I am guessing the 23.9 unallocated partition is for over provisioning, the 100mb partition is MS Reserve partition.
    Your Disk 2 only needs the D:\ partition. I'm not sure about the Acronis partition I don't remember having that when I used Acronis???
    This is what mine looks like after upgrading from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro UEFI GPT

Is a 100mb system partition required on my data disk? [​IMG]

I think I can delete the 450mb partition I believe its left over from 8.1 upgrade form 8, since its only 450 mb I don't really need the space so for now I'm not worried about it.

Clintlgm, Aug 27, 2015
  5. topgundcp Win User
    It looks like that Windows is booting from the 100mb Drive E: since it is marked as Active so if you disconnect Disk 2 from the PC then Windows will not boot.

topgundcp, Aug 27, 2015
  6. Thanks clinglgm and topgundcp
    yes the space on the ssd is over provisioning
    how can i set the SSD one to active? do i need to copy over the data from the HDD one?

reblerebel, Aug 27, 2015
  7. Is a 100mb system partition required on my data disk? [​IMG]

humm i didn't realize how much of a mess they were

reblerebel, Aug 27, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

From the above screen shot (Post #5) you also have Disk 0 partition 1 marked as active so I am not really sure if Windows boots from Disk 0 or not. To make sure, disconnect yor Disk 1 from the PC and try to boot up. If it does then it is safe to delete the 100mb from Disk 1 and mark it inactive.

topgundcp, Aug 27, 2015
  9. its a laptop so i guess ill give it a try but it may be a pain,

kinda busted my touch pad so i need to take it all apart anyway

reblerebel, Aug 27, 2015
  10. Clintlgm Win User
    Well you should have access to the hard drive bays and RAM at least? Track pad issue if your still in warranty you might want to RMA that one notebook cables are very delicate and easily damaged and would void your warranty going that far into the notebook?

Clintlgm, Aug 27, 2015
  11. my laptop isn't under warranty anymore, took it apart and fixed the issue,
    took the second hard drive out, windows booted but got 'The User Profile service failed the sign-in User profile cannot be loaded.'
    so i guess it dosnt matter?
    it had a drive assigned to it when i got the laptop.

thanks sorry for the late reply

reblerebel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is a 100mb system partition required on my data disk? - Similar Threads - 100mb system partition

2. How do I: Increase an EFI System Partition from 100MB to 500MB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I: Increase an EFI System Partition from 100MB to 500MB: Hello -I am running Windows 11 Pro 64 bit. This system is an upgrade from Windows 10, so it has a Windows 10 GPT Partition. My current EFI System Partition is 100MB and FULL. I have had problems in the past with system updates.How do I upgrade this partition to 500MB?...
  3. How do I: Increase an EFI System Partition from 100MB to 500MB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I: Increase an EFI System Partition from 100MB to 500MB: Hello -I am running Windows 11 Pro 64 bit. This system is an upgrade from Windows 10, so it has a Windows 10 GPT Partition. My current EFI System Partition is 100MB and FULL. I have had problems in the past with system updates.How do I upgrade this partition to 500MB?...
  4. System and Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System and Disk Partition: Few Days ago i mistakenly deleted my OS and had to clean install windows 11. I got a DELL device and i found that Dell preinstalled apps were missing, i somehow managed to get back MY DELL and DELL SUPPORT ASSIST but still don't have DELL OS RECOVERY.Today i noticed my disk...
  5. System and Disk Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System and Disk Partition: Few Days ago i mistakenly deleted my OS and had to clean install windows 11. I got a DELL device and i found that Dell preinstalled apps were missing, i somehow managed to get back MY DELL and DELL SUPPORT ASSIST but still don't have DELL OS RECOVERY.Today i noticed my disk...
  6. H: 100mb system partition?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    H: 100mb system partition?: [ATTACH] Good evening! So, for some reason, i have an H: partition. Can't be erased to extend C: and aparently it's being used by the System. Now for some reason, my pc keeps tellingme its using 100% of the disk transfer rate on the vagest tasks. Is this related? Can C:...
  7. [INSTALLATION] System partition only takes up 100mb for Win10?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    [INSTALLATION] System partition only takes up 100mb for Win10?: Trying to Re-install windows on my PC via USB https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, When creating the partitions the reserved system one that automatically is created only takes up 100 Mb for some reason, even though Win10 is supposed to have a 500 Mb...
  8. Clean Windows Install: Do I need the 100mb EFI System Partition?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Windows Install: Do I need the 100mb EFI System Partition?: Okay, so I just got a new laptop. It is a Lenovo, a deal I just got from Costco for $400 exactly. Latest i3, 256 SSD, 8 gigs ram, etc. Nothing special. I will use it mainly for taking my QuickBooks with me and surfing the web and email and Word with Office. But I've always...
  9. LOST PARTITIONS AND DATA of my Hard Disk Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    LOST PARTITIONS AND DATA of my Hard Disk Drive: Accidently i cleaned up my hard disk drive on windows 10. And lost all partitions, became only partion now and another is as named Re Tools. How to restore my all lost partitions and data as it was. i have a recovery drive using file history....
  10. System Reserved partition is on my data drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Reserved partition is on my data drive: I'm trying to do a disk image backup of the C: drive. However, since my system reserved partition is on my data drive (D:) it backs up my entire 1TB data drive. I know that generally the system reserved partition is a separate partition of less than 200MB, but somehow on my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How much space Windows 10 v1903 reserved partition required.