Windows 10: Is a 4K TV good as a monitor

Discus and support Is a 4K TV good as a monitor in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; A 4K 32" monitor would cost me over $400. I can pick up a 4K 42" LCD LED TV for $300. Any reason I should not use the TV as monitor for photoshop and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by ssal, Aug 21, 2020.

1. ssal Win User

Is a 4K TV good as a monitor

A 4K 32" monitor would cost me over $400. I can pick up a 4K 42" LCD LED TV for $300.
    Any reason I should not use the TV as monitor for photoshop and premier pro video editing?
    I am using a GeForce GTX 1060 6gb GPU.

2. bobkn Win User

Why not buy a small 4K TV instead of a large 4K monitor?

People do it.

Rule of thumb: if the spacing between the TV and the eye is about equal to the diagonal of the TV, the pixels will just be resolved by someone with good vision.

I suggest not getting an OLED TV because of potental burn-in issues. The smallest OLED is 55", anyway - a bit large for a desktop monitor.

bobkn, Aug 21, 2020
  3. Why not buy a small 4K TV instead of a large 4K monitor?

This question has been dogging me for years.

I'm a desktop PC person. I like having a desk, a monitor, and these days a smaller or 'Mini' PC nearby. 3 years ago I bought an Asus Vivomini PC and paired it with $329 2K 25 inch monitor. Something like this --

Is a 4K TV good as a monitor [​IMG]

But now I ask myself, self, what if you upgraded to a significantly bigger monitor? Not for gaming but really so I had the room to leave more apps open and accessible all the time? The industry wants you to buy something like this --

-- for $499. But I'm like, wait, I can get a 4K TV set with ten more inches for less than half that price ($229) --

-- AND get a TV in the same room for 'free'.

HERE'S THE QUESTION -- Why wouldn't someone just by the 4K TV instead? Is there a spec thing I'm not considering? Is it that if I sat 3 feet away from a 4K set it would look all pixelated?

The Pool Man, Aug 21, 2020
  4. Is a 4K TV good as a monitor

Hawkstream, Aug 21, 2020
Thema:

Is a 4K TV good as a monitor

1. Is a 4K TV good as a monitor - Similar Threads - monitor

2. Win 11 windows spotlight pictures lock screen on 32:9 aspect ratio monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 windows spotlight pictures lock screen on 32:9 aspect ratio monitor: I love the Windows Spotlight pictures on the lock screen, but only a section of the pictures is displayed on my 32:9 aspect ratio monitor Samsung Odyssey 5120 x 1440. I'd rather see the full picture even if there are black areas left and right. Is there a fix?...
  3. Win 11 windows spotlight pictures lock screen on 32:9 aspect ratio monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 11 windows spotlight pictures lock screen on 32:9 aspect ratio monitor: I love the Windows Spotlight pictures on the lock screen, but only a section of the pictures is displayed on my 32:9 aspect ratio monitor Samsung Odyssey 5120 x 1440. I'd rather see the full picture even if there are black areas left and right. Is there a fix?...
  4. Dual-Monitor - exiting full screen on second monitor automatically transfers it to primary...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual-Monitor - exiting full screen on second monitor automatically transfers it to primary...: When i go Full screen on a video or anything on my web browser it goes from my 2nd monitor to my 1st monitor and then i have to drag it back to my 2nd monitorIt was working fine but now it just does this issue i have with it , it happens on Chrome, opera GX, Microsoft edge...
  5. Dual-Monitor - exiting full screen on second monitor automatically transfers it to primary...

Dual-Monitor - exiting full screen on second monitor automatically transfers it to primary...: When i go Full screen on a video or anything on my web browser it goes from my 2nd monitor to my 1st monitor and then i have to drag it back to my 2nd monitorIt was working fine but now it just does this issue i have with it , it happens on Chrome, opera GX, Microsoft edge...
  6. Windows 11 cannot detect external monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 cannot detect external monitor: My Lenovo ThankPad with Windows 11 cannot detect the external monitor. I double checked the cable and connection it ok. It worked before. Please help....
  7. Windows 11 cannot detect external monitor

Windows 11 cannot detect external monitor: My Lenovo ThankPad with Windows 11 cannot detect the external monitor. I double checked the cable and connection it ok. It worked before. Please help....
  8. second monitor showing white screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    second monitor showing white screen: second monitor showing white screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-monitor-showing-white-screen/c47e452b-6d4a-42bf-ad5e-8f826ad6b1ca
  9. second monitor showing white screen

second monitor showing white screen: second monitor showing white screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-monitor-showing-white-screen/c47e452b-6d4a-42bf-ad5e-8f826ad6b1ca
  10. second monitor showing white screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware