Windows 10: Is a clean reinstall in my future? (all apps are currently hosed)

Discus and support Is a clean reinstall in my future? (all apps are currently hosed) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; On a new laptop with a 256G SSD for the OS and a separate data drive I was trying to get WSL2 running with the Linux environments stored on the data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ChrisL_2020, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Is a clean reinstall in my future? (all apps are currently hosed)

On a new laptop with a 256G SSD for the OS and a separate data drive I was trying to get WSL2 running with the Linux environments stored on the data drive. Something led me to try taking ownership of the WindowsApps folder on the C drive and from there it's been all downhill. After an upgrade/repair installation and a subsequent update to Windows 10 version 2004 I'm still in a state where no apps will actually run. The Windows Store app is in the start menu but doesn't come up and isn't listed in Powershell GetAppx-Package output. Aside from the app/store issues Windows 10 is working fine.

I've tried various suggestions from google searches as far as restoring WindowsApps folder ownership/permissions back to defaults, resetting/reinstalling individual apps and the Windows Store troubleshooting tool with no luck.

Given that this is a new laptop without too much installed on it is the most expedient path to getting Windows 10 with apps actually working to do a clean reinstall from usb/iso media? Is there some other repair tool to try?

Thanks!

submitted by /u/ChrisL_2020
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ChrisL_2020, Jul 25, 2020
  2. Riel Alc Win User

reinstall store app windows 10

Did not work for me. I troed it 3 times, allways got an error.

Hi Fernando,

These are the steps to resolve the issue with Windows Store app itself. For better assistance, we suggest creating a new thread about Windows 10 apps installation.

Regards.

Riel Alc, Jul 25, 2020
  3. DrPepper Win User
    Best way to keep vista clean and healthy

Yeah just caught it there.

I'm going to attempt to have a step by step guide on how to use these programs efficiently.

DrPepper, Jul 25, 2020
  4. Is a clean reinstall in my future? (all apps are currently hosed)

My pc takes for ever to shut down when i restart

Suggest cleaning up your startup list .There may be many services / Apps you can remove on startup which is not needed on boot or during shutdown.
    Before you shutdown the Pc check what is running in Task Manager as a program or service in not killing the process on shutdown

Would suggest cleaning up running apps and services -Autoruns, StartupMonitor,HighjackThis,
    Malware Scan - Malwarebytes,ADWcleaner, Combofix

SnakeDoctor, Jul 25, 2020
Thema:

Is a clean reinstall in my future? (all apps are currently hosed)

1. Is a clean reinstall in my future? (all apps are currently hosed) - Similar Threads - clean reinstall future

2. Clean Boot and Hosed My Laptop

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Clean Boot and Hosed My Laptop: I saw a similar post from 5 years ago but could not follow the instructions. Tried to do a clean boot to resolve issues connecting to the yahoo email server and really screwed or up. It wants me to set up another pin, but then tells me I need an app, but no way to get to the...
  3. Clean Boot and Hosed My Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Boot and Hosed My Laptop: I saw a similar post from 5 years ago but could not follow the instructions. Tried to do a clean boot to resolve issues connecting to the yahoo email server and really screwed or up. It wants me to set up another pin, but then tells me I need an app, but no way to get to the...
  4. Clean Boot and Hosed My Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. 20H2 hosed my system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    20H2 hosed my system: This is my wife's computer that I am trying to fix. She works in education and needs her system back. So far ASUS and MS are not a real big help. I cannot go back to the previous windows because we left on a 1 week trip to visit our new grand daughter and come back to a total...
  6. Cleaning/ removing all data, reinstalling windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cleaning/ removing all data, reinstalling windows: Hello, I’d like to know the best way to erase everything from my laptop and reinstall windows. I have an aorus x7v7 laptop. Yesterday my pc wouldn’t boot properly, I took it to a local repair shop, they said it was the ssd, they replaced the old ssd with a new one and the...
  7. Change "removal policy" defaults for current and all future drives?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change "removal policy" defaults for current and all future drives?: This is basically a repost from Reddit a month ago, with no replies. Here it goes: It's maddening. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...external-media Every drive I plug gets defaulted to quick removal which makes them read/write at no more than 40 MB/s. For each drive I...
  8. Change "removal policy" defaults for current and all future drives?

in Windows 10 Support
    Change "removal policy" defaults for current and all future drives?: This is basically a repost from Reddit a month ago, with no replies. Here it goes: It's maddening. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...external-media Every drive I plug gets defaulted to quick removal which makes them read/write at no more than 40 MB/s. For each drive I...
  9. Current Huawei Matebooks and Future Windows Updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Current Huawei Matebooks and Future Windows Updates: Hello I am very keen to purchase a Huawei Matebook 13 or Matebook XPro 13.9 from 2018. My question is given the issues and Scandals surrounding the US and China ( Google ban on Huawei etc), if Microsoft were to withdraw their Windows operating system from future Matebooks...
  10. What is the procedure to reinstall in the future?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the procedure to reinstall in the future?: So, I took advantage of Microsoft's offer and am running Windows 10 on my laptop now. However, my laptop came with Windows 7. If my hard drive dies, or I decide to get a new hard drive, I have to use my System Restore discs to reinstall my OS. BUT, it will then be Windows...