Windows 10: Is a full scan enough on an infected computer?

Discus and support Is a full scan enough on an infected computer? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I recently got a malware that was swiftly picked up by Windows Defender (I run Windows 10) and quarantined, after which Defender turned off and I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by VladSoroceanu, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Is a full scan enough on an infected computer?

Hi,

I recently got a malware that was swiftly picked up by Windows Defender (I run Windows 10) and quarantined, after which Defender turned off and I had to turn it back on. Now, any subsequent scan reveals no infections.

I tried all quick, full and offline scan from Windows Defender and also tried Microsoft Safety Scanner and none of them report any infections.
    Last time I was infected (which is 10 years ago) I couldn't remove the virus any more but I could still detect it.

Should I assume the infection was cleaned or that it managed to infect my computer in such a way that the scans themselves are circumvented by the malware?

I am trying to avoid a clean-install of Windows if possible as I just did it a couple of days ago (because of gaming issues not infections).

Thank you!

:)

VladSoroceanu, Dec 11, 2018
  2. bruinator Win User

steps taken for infected Pc's.

I was hoping someone could give me a list of step by step instructions you use as a guide to clean virus, malware...etc. so I can keep my PC clean if it gets infected.

thx

bruinator, Dec 11, 2018
  3. Is a full scan enough on an infected computer?

Is my computer infected or not

Hi Mohammed,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Did you make any changes in prior to this issue?
    • Do you get any error message or error code on the screen?
    For now I would suggest you to perform a virus scan.

Run the Microsoft safety scanner and check if your computer is infected by malware.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Dec 11, 2018
Thema:

Is a full scan enough on an infected computer?

1. Is a full scan enough on an infected computer? - Similar Threads - full scan enough

2. Infected computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Infected computer: My Windows Apps are infected by spyware. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/infected-computer/b212b029-7987-4bbf-a288-3efa16d9e544
  3. Infected computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Infected computer: My Windows Apps are infected by spyware. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/infected-computer/b212b029-7987-4bbf-a288-3efa16d9e544
  4. Computer is infected

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Computer is infected: So, uh. This is my first time and I’m doing pretty good. Just uh. The infection in task manager won’t allow me to stop or shut it down. I can’t even edit permissions. This malware or virus is from a website called safe windows. I’m curious if it’s ok to turn the computer off....
  5. Computer is infected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer is infected: So, uh. This is my first time and I’m doing pretty good. Just uh. The infection in task manager won’t allow me to stop or shut it down. I can’t even edit permissions. This malware or virus is from a website called safe windows. I’m curious if it’s ok to turn the computer off....
  6. Computer is infected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Full scan problem? infected camera file?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Full scan problem? infected camera file?: At the end of a full scan I get the message that no viruses etc were found; Yet while the scan is running it notes 1 file infected. There is no indication what that file is at any time. Why is the scan showing one thing but reporting something else at the end? My...
  8. Ran MSRT full scan, while running it shows files were infected but it finished scanning...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ran MSRT full scan, while running it shows files were infected but it finished scanning...: Uhm help? TL;DR MSRT full scan shows files infected, ends abruptly and results said no files were infected. submitted by /u/kwonfused [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dy3fdt/ran_msrt_full_scan_while_running_it_shows_files/
  9. Computer Infected.

Computer Infected.: Dear Community, My computer has been acting very strange in the last one or two weeks. Most of the time when my computer is opened I hear a sound like connecting a new device to the computer but I'm not doing anything. I tried running Malware Bytes and Avast but...
  10. infected computer

infected computer: can someone help me remove infection from my computer it has ben hacked https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/infected-computer/cfefb8d9-ae88-42fa-9495-2bb8c6899963