Windows 10: Is a Recovery Drive and an .iso file the same?

Discus and support Is a Recovery Drive and an .iso file the same? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Right after getting this computer, which came with Windows 10, I created a Recovery Drive. I forgot how I even did it, but when I plug it (the USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Delly10, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Delly10 Win User

Is a Recovery Drive and an .iso file the same?

Right after getting this computer, which came with Windows 10, I created a Recovery Drive. I forgot how I even did it, but when I plug it (the USB drive) into a USB port and read it, it shows several files and folders. This is supposed to get me back in the game if my computer suddenly lost its operating system, I guess.

However, I recently upgraded to version 1903 by downloading the .iso file for it and running the installation process. When I click the .iso file, it shows several files and folders just like my Recovery Drive does. Now I'm thinking that if my HDD crashed and I lost everything, and then I used my Recovery Drive as it is now, I'd be installing a much earlier version of Windows 10. Could I just erase what's on the R.D. right now and replace it with the .iso file for version 1903? Then I'd be getting something more recent when I did the recovery rather than a very early version which I'd then have to upgrade to afterwards.

There's one small difference that makes me question the idea. Like I said, when the Recovery Drive is plugged in and read, it immediately shows those files and folders. OTOH, with the .iso file, I have to click on the file in order to display those things. I'm thinking maybe the Recovery Drive as it is right now is configured in a way that automatically installs the OS since a computer with no OS in the first place wouldn't allow me to click on anything. Is this correct?

:)

Delly10, Aug 25, 2019
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

wont boot into ISO file?

hm I used nero and put the iso on there like anything else
    ill try your suggestions with the .nrg file I no longer have the .iso (threw away)
    i was just curious

3. Bootable USB with ISO - What am I missing?

Have you copied all the files from the ISO to the flash drive? I can't see that step.

After step 10. (after formatting and making it the active partition)

Copy files from the ISO to flash drive.

Open CMD as administrator.

navigate to the flash drive, lets call it drive Z and type in the following commands.
    Z:
    cd boot
    bootsect.exe /nt60 z:
    exit

Then try again.

slyfox2151, Aug 25, 2019
  4. Macazine Win User

Recover files from Flash drive

According to me, the best flash drive recovery software which i have used and recovered files easily. It is very easy to use and within few steps you can recover data from flash drive. Recover Corrupt Flash Drive Mac | | Bill Hoyer Systems

Macazine, Aug 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Is a Recovery Drive and an .iso file the same? - Similar Threads - Recovery Drive iso

2. .ISO files in a folder of the same name deletes them?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .ISO files in a folder of the same name deletes them?: I tried to move a file Spore.iso into a folder called Spore on an exFAT formatted sd card and it threw Error 0x80070570, so i moved the iso to the sd card, where the Spore folder was and it was fine, when i tried to move it from the sd card to the Spore folder, it threw...
  3. .ISO files in a folder of the same name deletes them?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .ISO files in a folder of the same name deletes them?: I tried to move a file Spore.iso into a folder called Spore on an exFAT formatted sd card and it threw Error 0x80070570, so i moved the iso to the sd card, where the Spore folder was and it was fine, when i tried to move it from the sd card to the Spore folder, it threw...
  4. .ISO files in a folder of the same name deletes them?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is the media creation tool the same as an ISO file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is the media creation tool the same as an ISO file: I'm having problems upgrading a win 8.1 laptop to win 10. I've tried doing it directly via the site and I have also tried using a USB installation media creation tool to no avail so I though I would try this ISO thing but it looks like the same thing as the usb media creation...
  6. Is the media creation tool the same as an ISO file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is the media creation tool the same as an ISO file: I'm having problems upgrading a win 8.1 laptop to win 10. I've tried doing it directly via the site and I have also tried using a USB installation media creation tool to no avail so I though I would try this ISO thing but it looks like the same thing as the usb media creation...
  7. using the same iso file in more than a computers

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    using the same iso file in more than a computers: is it legal to use the same windows iso file in other computers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-the-same-iso-file-in-more-than-a-computers/63094127-e316-4572-846f-aedbf2779aba
  8. How to create an .iso file out of a USB Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to create an .iso file out of a USB Recovery Drive: I want to create an .iso file out of a USB Recovery Drive (a bit under 8 GB) I created. I want to do it because it was extremely slow (~2 h) to create the Recovery Drive and I also want to make a backup of the Recovery Drive in case both my C: corrupts and the USB stick...
  9. How to create an .iso file out of a USB Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    How to create an .iso file out of a USB Recovery Drive: I want to create an .iso file out of a USB Recovery Drive (a bit under 8 GB) I created. I want to do it because it was extremely slow (~2 h) to create the Recovery Drive and I also want to make a backup of the Recovery Drive in case both my C: corrupts and the USB stick...
  10. Recovery Drive to ISO Troubles

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Drive to ISO Troubles: I have been trying to convert the Windows 10 Recovery Drive (USB) to an ISO so I can include it in a multiboot recovery drive I have been building. I have succeeded in creating the bootable ISO, but no matter what I do, this is what I get: [img] I've tried the same...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can windows 10make recovery drive on iso file