Windows 10: Is a Windows PIN + TPM more secure than a standard password if you don't plan on signing in...

Discus and support Is a Windows PIN + TPM more secure than a standard password if you don't plan on signing in... in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Right now I use a long and complex password to sign into my local account. I've never signed into Windows using my Microsoft account and don't plan to.... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by mlusr6, Jul 30, 2021.

1. mlusr6 Win User

Is a Windows PIN + TPM more secure than a standard password if you don't plan on signing in...

Right now I use a long and complex password to sign into my local account. I've never signed into Windows using my Microsoft account and don't plan to. I've been considering switching over to a Windows Hello PIN + TPM for convenience, but want to make sure this is actually more secure or at least as secure as my current setup. All the arguments I've seen in favor of a Hello PIN assume the user is signing in with a Microsoft account - in which case it's obvious why a locally-stored PIN tied to your TPM chip would be more secure than a password ultimately kept in the cloud. This isn't the case

:)

mlusr6, Jul 30, 2021

2. Remove sign in pin

Hi Joel,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to remove the sign in pin/password options.

• In the search box type sign-in-option.
    • Click on the sign-in-option.
    • Then you can find password/pin/picture password.
    • There you can remove the option and check.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jul 30, 2021
  3. ADL6009 Win User
    Sign in security-pin and password

I currently have no password or pin required to sign into windows 10. I would like to establish a pin. Trouble is windows asks for my password in order to setup the pin. If I leave the password space blank it rejects it as the wrong password, if I put
    in my microsoft account password it rejects it also. How do I get past the password required step? Thanks.

ADL6009, Jul 30, 2021
  4. lx07 Win User

Is a Windows PIN + TPM more secure than a standard password if you don't plan on signing in...

Bitlocker...TPM + PIN vs Password?

Using TPM is undoubtable more secure. Some advantages are (compared to using USB and PIN):

You can't copy it - the TPM key is unique.
    Like you say you can configure timeout.
    Can check boot files for tampering.

Trusted Platform Module Technology Overview (Windows 10)

Using a PIN as a logon to your account (nothing to do with bitlocker PIN) can also be more secure than using a password incidentally. Why a PIN is better than a password (Windows 10)

No it doesn't. It asks you if you want to. In fact it asks you if you want to print it, save it (to another disk), save it to your MS account. or your AD. Depending what your group policy allows you can do some, all or none of these. BitLocker Group Policy settings (Windows 10)

Thema:

1. Is a Windows PIN + TPM more secure than a standard password if you don't plan on signing in... - Similar Threads - PIN TPM more

2. No password pin don't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No password pin don't work: Hello please help . I installed the latest update it was bsod or something. On my HP pavilion 15 gaming laptop. Everytime I turn on my PC and try to sign it It says pin is no longer avalible due to change of security settings in this device. I press setup my pin and it said...
  3. No password pin don't work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No password pin don't work: Hello please help . I installed the latest update it was bsod or something. On my HP pavilion 15 gaming laptop. Everytime I turn on my PC and try to sign it It says pin is no longer avalible due to change of security settings in this device. I press setup my pin and it said...
  4. sign in password and pin

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    sign in password and pin: My computer updated last night and wants me to sign in. I forgot my pin and my password. How do I get back in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sign-in-password-and-pin/5ff9cbac-335e-4618-a5bc-281448dd790e
  5. sign in password and pin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sign in password and pin: My computer updated last night and wants me to sign in. I forgot my pin and my password. How do I get back in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sign-in-password-and-pin/5ff9cbac-335e-4618-a5bc-281448dd790e
  6. sign in password and pin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. More than 1 sign in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    More than 1 sign in: I have windows 10. I have had only one microsoft account that is an auto sign in and I don't remember what the old password was. Now I have a another account that I want to be separate from the first one. When signing in, there is the date and time page; then there is the...
  8. Sign in Password, then pin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sign in Password, then pin: Is this possible? > Computer booting from OFF not sleep, require full password. then, > Computer waking from sleep, require pin only. I don't want to use pin all the time because it seems like it's less secure having 4 digits to guess rather than an entire password....
  9. "Standard hardware security not supported" Even with TPM installed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Standard hardware security not supported" Even with TPM installed: [ATTACH] Hi I'm trying to enable the basic level of device encryption. I'm a bit confused as to whether or not I have it. Here's a screenshot of my Device Security....
  10. No Pin or Password Sign-In

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    No Pin or Password Sign-In: This is just one of many annoying features of Windows. Can someone...ANYONE tell me how to turn this **** off for once and for all? I am the only user and I don't need a password....