Windows 10: Is an "Image" Better Than System Restore Point?

Discus and support Is an "Image" Better Than System Restore Point? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Im a non-tech basic user. lost bunch of usb's, other important stuff from some house troubles. I had written down how to "fix" things in case of a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ImLost, Aug 1, 2021.

1. ImLost Win User

Is an "Image" Better Than System Restore Point?

Im a non-tech basic user. lost bunch of usb's, other important stuff from some house troubles. I had written down how to "fix" things in case of a "crash", etc., but now it's gone, and I cant remember things. Is syst retore points okay, or is what's called an 'image or picture' of everything better/easierr to get things up and running again if things "crash"? And I think I read if comp wont come on, a special made usb can make it come on so things can then be fixed. had a friend just do some clicks so I have a syst restore point. is there more/better/easier things to do in case of a crash/virus, etc? W10 version #2004

:)

ImLost, Aug 1, 2021
  2. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CIs an "Image" Better Than System Restore Point? :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CIs an "Image" Better Than System Restore Point? :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Aug 1, 2021
  3. Windows 10 system image restore points unable to delete

Have deleted system image backups using the windows 10 suggested method. But 2 system image rstore points are still listed under other backups. Have tried all the suggested methods on the net and from the microsoft community, but the system image restore
    points remain. Even after deleting all but the last normal restore points. I guess I can just ignore them. Would appreciate any advice as nothing seems to remove them.

Aquarius 2015, Aug 1, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

I know of no easier way to delete them, so here are the instructions.

Delete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10

A System Image restore point is describe as type 'Backup'.

Is an "Image" Better Than System Restore Point? [​IMG]

First, go to Settings > Backup & Restore > Recovery and select the 'Restart now' button in Advanced Start-up.

When you get Advanced Start-up, select Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Command Prompt.

You will be asked to choose an administrator account and supply it's password, then the Command Prompt will open.

Type the commands DISKPART then LIST VOL and EXIT to see a list of all drives, in this example the Windows system is on the C: drive, yours may have a different letter. Whatever the letter is, type it followed by a colon to switch to that drive, in this example I typed C:

Then use the CD (change directory) command CD System Volume Information\WindowsImageBackup

Use the DIR command to check you are in the right folder, then use DEL to delete the contents of each of the Catalog and SPPMetadataCache folders.

Youn can now close the command prompt window (or type EXIT) to restart the PC and go back to Windows.

All System Image Restore points of type 'Backup' will now have gone.

Bree, Aug 1, 2021
Thema:

1. Is an "Image" Better Than System Restore Point? - Similar Threads - Image Better System

2. A question about system image restore and restore point.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A question about system image restore and restore point.: Hi, I'm planning to do those registry changes to make the boot animation go from spinning dots to that ring. So, I want to make a restore point and also create a system image in case anything happens and my system won't boot up. So, do I need to keep the system image on a...
  3. A question about system image restore and restore point.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A question about system image restore and restore point.: Hi, I'm planning to do those registry changes to make the boot animation go from spinning dots to that ring. So, I want to make a restore point and also create a system image in case anything happens and my system won't boot up. So, do I need to keep the system image on a...
  4. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  5. Is an "Image" Better Than System Restore Point?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is an "Image" Better Than System Restore Point?: Im a non-tech basic user. lost bunch of usb's, other important stuff from some house troubles. I had written down how to "fix" things in case of a "crash", etc., but now it's gone, and I cant remember things. Is syst retore points okay, or is what's called an 'image or...
  6. System image vs system restore points

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System image vs system restore points: What is the difference between system image and system restore points? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-vs-system-restore-points/3d530d13-e57c-4194-809a-c07c1a4f4804
  7. Restore Point or Restore from Image?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore Point or Restore from Image?: Hello r/windows10 , hope you're all well. I had some issues that were finally resolved with a USB Recovery Drive. I have my computer all set up back to the way I had it before I had those issues. All is good now. What I would like to do is prevent myself from having to start...
  8. How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore: Windows 10 64-bit. When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an...
  9. Delete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Delete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10: How to: Delete System Image Restore Point from System Restore in Windows 10 When you System Restore. These will appear alongside the other restore points as 'type Backup' when you tick the box for 'Show more restore points' in System Restore. [img] Unlike...
  10. Never More Than 3 System Restore Points

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Never More Than 3 System Restore Points: Using Win 10 Pro AU 64bit. It seems to me that since installing Win 10 Pro on this system I never have more than 3 System Restore Points. I have over 700GB of free space on the system disk. System restore is set to use up to about 100GB. System Restore claims it is currently...