Windows 10: Is an old HP Pro Book workhorse mechanically too old for latest W10 updates?

Discus and support Is an old HP Pro Book workhorse mechanically too old for latest W10 updates? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I bought a used HP ProBook from a reliable computer shop, which installed a high speed hard drive and Windows 10 last year. It ran very quickly until... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SkipNJ, May 20, 2020.

1. SkipNJ Win User

Is an old HP Pro Book workhorse mechanically too old for latest W10 updates?

I bought a used HP ProBook from a reliable computer shop, which installed a high speed hard drive and Windows 10 last year. It ran very quickly until Microsoft dropped the KB4549951 update on me. I uninstalled it, and thought I had resolved the problems, but with every successive update since then, I keep experiencing slow downs and freeze ups. I end up uninstalling each one, only to have MS demand that I "update and restart." I'm wondering if 9951 did some permanent damage, or if the issue is now related to the later updates, or is my machine just too old to handle more modern technology? My wife just bought a new laptop with W10, so I'm sure she's getting the same automatic updates, but she doesn't have the same problems.

:)

SkipNJ, May 20, 2020

2. Downgrade HP-15 OEM Win 10 Home to full license Win 8 Pro With Old Disk?

Here is my problem: My old, nice HP laptop which was running W7 Ultimate was stolen. I have since had to buy a less than nice black Friday HP Celeron HP laptop with OEM W10 Home (HP Model 15-f211wm) . I absolutely must have Bitlocker on this new machine,
    which MS graciously omitted from 10 Home... All I need is bitlocker, not the other stuff.

Also, I really prefer 8.1, like on my Surface Pro 3, over 10 because the OneDrive app is better with placeholder files. W10 wrecked that for me, plus I prefer the W8 metro UI.

1.) I bought a full W8 Pro license disk from back when 8 was released years ago (it was installed once, on an old, non-touch 7 machine and I hated it so much at the time that I reverted back to 7).

So, I tried installing this old W8 disk on the new W10 laptop and it bricked it -- W8 worked great, but no drivers apparently will detect the wifi or Ethernet cards, so I couldn't even access the internet to download driver fixes, etc. Took back to store
    and replaced. Back to square one.

2.) That said, is there a way for a non-technician like me to downgrade the new OEM W10 laptop using my old W8 Pro disk without breaking the machine?

3.) Alternatively, is there a way to use my old W8 Pro license to upgrade this new laptop to W10 Pro without having to pay another $99 for a Pro upgrade key?

If I could just install W8 Pro onto the machine and get it to function properly, I could eventually upgrade to W10 Pro for free. I hate to spend the money I don't have when I already own the Pro software license...

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Hyperlexis, May 20, 2020
  3. 1 yr. old HP wireless laptop can't connect to older HP wireless Printer

Different answers each time I called HP Yes/No Can be connected/No it can't. Last call suggested kill printer add back. It's not on the HP list and can't pick up blue blinking wireless signal . Older HP Inkjet 6350 year old HP laptop both wireless wizard
    asks for WPA

NO DISC, NO cables

Bryan55555, May 20, 2020
  4. Is an old HP Pro Book workhorse mechanically too old for latest W10 updates?

How upgrade old xp laptop to w10?

Hello all:

Since I started using w10, the old HP laptop with wXP has been idled.

Friends told me it can be upgraded to w10, Could you tell me the way?

Thanks! -- Zhao

HonglinZhao, May 20, 2020
Thema:

Is an old HP Pro Book workhorse mechanically too old for latest W10 updates?

1. Is an old HP Pro Book workhorse mechanically too old for latest W10 updates? - Similar Threads - old Pro Book

2. W10 Pro - 12 yr old HP DV7 Laptop - Getting BSOD BCMWL664.sys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 Pro - 12 yr old HP DV7 Laptop - Getting BSOD BCMWL664.sys: Hello,I am a tech w/a good amount of experience. I know the knee jerk easy jump to answer for most including myself would be to say, don't waste the effort, it's a 12 yr old laptop, it's done, replace it. I have already 2 yrs ago purchased a newer laptop and I'm building a...
  3. Transfer Win 11 Pro from old to new mac book pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Win 11 Pro from old to new mac book pro: I have Windows 11 Pro on my old mac book pro. I want to transfer this licence on new mac book pro. I have licence key 7JPVY-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-7T9TT . I don't want to use windows on my old mac book pro. How I can transfer my Win 11 Pro licence to new mac book?...
  4. Transfer Win 11 Pro from old to new mac book pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer Win 11 Pro from old to new mac book pro: I have Windows 11 Pro on my old mac book pro. I want to transfer this licence on new mac book pro. I have licence key 7JPVY-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-7T9TT . I don't want to use windows on my old mac book pro. How I can transfer my Win 11 Pro licence to new mac book?...
  5. Is my GPU too old?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is my GPU too old?: Hi there. A short while ago when I played games my pc got bsod, and I found the problem to be my cpu was wearing out from age after comparing symptoms and one time I noticed too late the temperature reached 100c for at least an hour. So I upgraded my pc with a cheap i5 4590....
  6. Is my GPU too old?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is my GPU too old?: Hi there. A short while ago when I played games my pc got bsod, and I found the problem to be my cpu was wearing out from age after comparing symptoms and one time I noticed too late the temperature reached 100c for at least an hour. So I upgraded my pc with a cheap i5 4590....
  7. Is my GPU too old?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Old MB w/W10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Old MB w/W10?: Hi all :) I have an old ASUS P6T w/an Intel Core i7 from 10 (?) years ago. I would like to install W10 (as opposed to 7). I went to the ASUS site, and looked at the MB, but it makes no mention of OS Does anyone know if I will be able to install and run W10 here? I did a...
  9. W10 and Old Windows Mobile

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W10 and Old Windows Mobile: Does anyone know if there is a way to get an old Windows Mobile to connect via USB to a W10 PC...? Back in the days of XP this Mobile used to communicate with XP by USB without any issues - just connect by USB and it would appear in File Explorer. But connecting it to a W10...
  10. W10 and Old Windows Mobile

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 and Old Windows Mobile: Does anyone know if there is a way to get an old Windows Mobile to connect via USB to a W10 PC...? Back in the days of XP this Mobile used to communicate with XP by USB without any issues - just connect by USB and it would appear in File Explorer. But connecting it to a W10...