Windows 10: Is an SSD Drive Bad for Gaming?

Discus and support Is an SSD Drive Bad for Gaming? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Is it true that an SSD for gaming is a bad idea? I was told that constantly downloading games to it can wear down and shorten its life. It was then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by xlook, Jul 21, 2016.

1. xlook Win User

Is an SSD Drive Bad for Gaming?

Is it true that an SSD for gaming is a bad idea? I was told that constantly downloading games to it can wear down and shorten its life. It was then suggested that I buy a mechanical HD instead.

What do you guys think of this?

:)

xlook, Jul 21, 2016

2. Windows 10 issues

Update. None of the above worked. I figured it out. My SSD was bad. I had a hunch that I got a bad ssd. I replaced the SSD with an extra hard drive that I had and installed windows without a problem. My computer has been working without a problem since.

JonahSturges, Jul 21, 2016
  3. srfreeman Win User
    Reinstalling windows 10 after a system failure

Simply get an SSD that comes with Windows 10 drivers or find the correct drivers for the SSD that you have, if they are available.

Are you trying to install Windows 10 on some sort of hybrid drive? Bad Idea.

srfreeman, Jul 21, 2016
  4. Dude Win User

No, it's not bad, but the cost factor for the larger Hard drives, and the size of today's game is why most use a mech drive for games. Maps will load quicker on a SSD, but performance is the same game wise

As far as your OS, you should definitely use a SSD

5. Couldn't agree more. /end thread

Vellinious, Jul 21, 2016
  6. xlook Win User
    So if I just use a 480GB SSD with no HD, loading games and programs from it won't wear down the SSD nor shorten its life at all? I really don't want to buy a HD tbh with you.

xlook, Jul 21, 2016
  7. Dude Win User
    No, it will last for years

8. xlook Win User

Thanks man!

xlook, Jul 21, 2016
  9. Dude Win User
    No problem, enjoy the SSD, they are great

10. kimkl Win User
    I disagree i use a 250mb SSD for D3 WoW HS
    Performance is much better with my SSD faster terrain loading in WoW With my Hybrid i get small jerks and takes a bit longer for terrain to load.
    Game play on my SSD is smooth and faster Game load that has nothing to do with performance ofc.
    But Game performance is much better on my SSD, the trouble is ofc the constant writing to my SSD is what will kill any SSD Fast, as you and others pointed out.
    So my advice and others use for OS and then only the common programs, i would then get a Hybrid and install the software you use a lot on the Hybrid and move the temp folder from SSD to Hybrid the constant writing deleting will kill your SSD fast.
    As to Trim well its a personal preference i do not use it. even though many report better performance.
    I did not notice any improvement using Trim.
    So i have my OS on a 250 gb SSD
    all my other Programs PowerDVD Openoffice notepad My Movies you name it, i have on a 3TB Hybrid
    I then use another 250GB SSD for D3 wow and HS and heroes of the storm.
    and then another 3TB for my Steam and Origin Games.
    Then i Have 2x 3TB Hybrids where i have my Blu-ray and DVD's the first thing i do when i buy a new Blu Ray is to back it up to my PC so i can use my Surround my Blu Ray player is way to noisy.

kimkl, Aug 1, 2016
  11. essenbe Win User
    I have had my Steam and EA games on an SSD for years. It is as healthy as it always has been. It will not shorten it's life. Newer models will come out and you will want to upgrade long before the SSD wears out. As far as turning off trim, you would have to go to a lot of trouble to do it. Plus it is programmed into the SSD controller board, not to mention turning it off is counterproductive.

essenbe, Aug 5, 2016
  12. LMiller7 Win User
    SSDs do have limited writes but that value is so high it is difficult to reach in normal use. Most drives fail from other causes long before limited writes becomes a factor. Often it is the small size of these drives that is the problem. A drive that is more than big enough now will often seem quite small in a few years and is replaced for that reason.

Many people are so concerned about limited writes that they offload so much from the SSD that they lose mush of it's performance, the reason why they purchased it in the first place.

To day the only significant disadvantage of SSDs is their higher cost. In time that will disappear and conventional drives will become obsolete.

LMiller7, Aug 6, 2016
  13. swarfega Win User

I went fully SSD last year. I haven't noticed a huge difference in map load times. Its a nice thing to be able to do but I'm not sure I'd recommend it for everyone.

swarfega, Aug 6, 2016
  14. davefaz Win User
    I think there is a lot of fear that SSD's will wear out, but truth is that they just don't. I have been running an SSD only system for years and it's still perfectly healthy. I run Steam on it's own SSD and it works just fine.
    If you consider that you might spend a small fortune on a graphics card every two to three years, then the speed improvement with an SSD has to be worth the money - even if they do wear out after three years - which actually they don't!

davefaz, Aug 7, 2016
  15. essenbe Win User
    I still have 2 Generation 2 (I guess) SSDs that both are still running good. I have an Intel X25 and a Vertex of the same period. The Intel is in an older Laptop I have.

essenbe, Aug 7, 2016
Thema:

1. Is an SSD Drive Bad for Gaming? - Similar Threads - SSD Drive Bad

2. Advice on SSD/NVME Drives for Gaming Laptops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Advice on SSD/NVME Drives for Gaming Laptops: Hi, I wondered if anyone would be able to help me regarding the best kind of SSD drives for gaming laptops please for someone who is bad with technology! I have a Lenovo laptop L340-17IRH Gaming Laptop ideapad - Type 81LL and am using Windows 11, and I'm really low on...
  3. SSD + bad HDD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD + bad HDD?: My hdd currently has 16 bad sectors and disk usage is always throttled to 100%. would performance increase if i install os in a ssd and use hdd alongside with it? will my hdd cause any performance issue? submitted by /u/Anindo9416 [link] [comments]...
  4. BAD PERFORMANCE IN GAMING

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BAD PERFORMANCE IN GAMING: hi i downloaded windows 10 yesterday when i bought this laptop it was originally windows 8 games worked best at windows 8 then i moved to 8.1 games got a bit slower not much but when i moved to 10 they went very slow decreasing fps upto 30 fps and more then i updated drivers...
  5. SSD may be Bad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD may be Bad: every time I boot to windows I get a recovey post but if I restart again it will boot into windows is there software i can check the disk with it ia a Samsung HDD 155872
  6. Bad settings for Gaming

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bad settings for Gaming: I apologize in advance for the dirty words, I just got really angry. So, dear Microsoft, I have a question about Xbox Gamer Bar. WHY THE **** the launch key is Win + G? Firts things first, It's not the only problem. There is also a problem, when I press this combo, nothing...
  7. Recovering SSD with bad blocks?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recovering SSD with bad blocks?: Hello, I have an SSD boot drive that has some bad blocks. My full story is over at Loop: System Thread Exception Not Handled, Bad System Config Info where zBook recommended that I come over to this forum: The files are backed up by copy and paste. This allows a clean...
  8. Is my SSD bad?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is my SSD bad?: 2.5" SATA 1TB Samsung 860 evo. I originally bought it for a laptop ~6 months ago. Laptop experienced a hardware failure (either bad SATA controller or bad connectors from drive bays to controller I believe - can give more info on the symptoms of that failure if you think its...
  9. Download games on Hard Drive instead of SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download games on Hard Drive instead of SSD: Hello, i currently got a new gaming PC and it came with a 256 GB SSD along with a hard drive. However, i have already used all the available space on the SSD, and would now like to download games and store it in the Hard Drive. I have already went to the settings and put...
  10. Is it bad if a SSD is too fragmented?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is it bad if a SSD is too fragmented?: I know this is a old question but I can't find proper answers there and here. I run Mydefrag (I have it because I have 3 mechanical hard drives) and checked my SSD out of curiosity and it's all yellow (fragmented), seems that at least 80% of all files are fragmented. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is gaming on an ssd bad?