Windows 10: Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed?

Discus and support Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; January 2019 - ADSL broadband speed: - [img] Actual speed was regularly 16 + Mbps. December 2019 - ADSL broadband speed: - [img] Actual speed is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wiganken, Mar 21, 2020.

1. wiganken Win User

Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed?

January 2019 - ADSL broadband speed: -

Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed? [​IMG]

Actual speed was regularly 16 + Mbps.

December 2019 - ADSL broadband speed: -

Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed? [​IMG]

Actual speed is regularly 12.5Mbps.

One day it was 16+ Mbps then the first day of new contract it was down to 12.5 Mbps so it has got to be deliberate. The line is capable of 16+ Mbps but suddenly it is capped at 12.5 Mbps.

I believe that this is a deliberate tactic by BT / Openreach to get people to move over to fibre as part of the move to switch off copper wire ADSL, and I can understand it, but has anyone else noticed their ‘copper’ ADSL speed being reduced at contract renewal time?

BT to Propose Full Fibre Move and Copper Switch Off by 2027 UPDATE - ISPreview UK

Be interesting to see if it is becoming a widespread practice.

:)

wiganken, Mar 21, 2020
  2. BossDweeb Win User

Getting Slow Internet Speed

Assuming your broadband is using copper phone cable and you never had a faster speed at your current loaction, and are using

a new good quality modem. The speed you are getting may be all you can expect.

ADSL speeds on copper cable deteriorates with distance from the exchange. You need to be quite close to get the maximum

theoretical speed of about 24Mbs (ADSL 2+).

To make matters worse if the copper cable between you and the exchange\DSLAM is old the speed reduces even more.

Congestion during busy times can reduce speeds even further. Particularly on fully loaded DSLAM's.

You should be able to get a map that shows the cable distance between you and the exchange.

- Optic fibre Broadband does not have the distance limitations of copper.

btw - What is your current speed ?
    https://www.speedtest.net/

BossDweeb, Mar 21, 2020
  3. Sprootle Win User
    Why has my LAN speed changed?

Virgin used cable (fibre optic) to my house with a speed of 300Mbps, BT uses Openreach although not sure if they're still using the old copper wire method from my house to the telegraph pole. The engineer certainly went up it when connecting me!

I only get 52Mbps now but that's fine and much cheaper!

This issue is to do with an internal network though.

Thanks.

Sprootle, Mar 21, 2020
  4. Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed?

Adsl upgrade.

Hi I have recently been experiencing a drop in my fibre speed and the openreach engineer said that it could be the signal on the adsl cable between the main box and the router upstairs a cable length of about 5m and suggested that I upgrade the cable, what cable should I use, I should receive 66 mbs.

cookiemonster, Mar 21, 2020
Thema:

Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed?

1. Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed? - Similar Threads - Openreach slowing down

2. very slow wired speeds on pc, wifi is 300+mbps and wired is 84mbps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    very slow wired speeds on pc, wifi is 300+mbps and wired is 84mbps: I am using a hardwire connection and my speed wired is 84mbps 48ms ping. Wi-Fi is 220mbps, Xbox Series X is 989mbps wired 68ms ping, why is my pc so slow? I have Xfinity service 1Gbps, tech was just hear and signal strength is great. If i hard wire to a Xfinity Pod i get...
  3. very slow wired speeds on pc, wifi is 300+mbps and wired is 84mbps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    very slow wired speeds on pc, wifi is 300+mbps and wired is 84mbps: I am using a hardwire connection and my speed wired is 84mbps 48ms ping. Wi-Fi is 220mbps, Xbox Series X is 989mbps wired 68ms ping, why is my pc so slow? I have Xfinity service 1Gbps, tech was just hear and signal strength is great. If i hard wire to a Xfinity Pod i get...
  4. Sudden slow down of ethernet speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sudden slow down of ethernet speed: Day before yesterday my ethernet suddenly stopped working/net was not working. The ethernet symbol was correctly displayed and text showed it was connected properly but internet simply dosent work. I have tried reconnecting , in the first few mins it gave 8-10mbps speed and...
  5. Sudden slow down of ethernet speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden slow down of ethernet speed: Day before yesterday my ethernet suddenly stopped working/net was not working. The ethernet symbol was correctly displayed and text showed it was connected properly but internet simply dosent work. I have tried reconnecting , in the first few mins it gave 8-10mbps speed and...
  6. Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed?: January 2019 - ADSL broadband speed: - [img] Actual speed was regularly 16 + Mbps. December 2019 - ADSL broadband speed: - [img] Actual speed is regularly 12.5Mbps. One day it was 16+ Mbps then the first day of new contract it was down to 12.5 Mbps so it has got to be...
  7. internet speed slows down

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    internet speed slows down: I have an old Dell XPS system running Windows 10pro Using a Broadcom gigabit ethernet card. I am hard wired directly to the WOW modem and do get speeds of up to 550mbps. But after a while, anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours, it starts to slow down to under 100. Every time...
  8. Slow downs in SATA transfer speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow downs in SATA transfer speed: I am having an odd issue where the transfer speed from my HDDs slows to unusable after my computer has been on for a while. I have my primary OS drive as a Samsung 850 1TB SSD, paired with 2 x 3TB Toshiba HDDs. When I first start my computer, everything works as it...
  9. Wi-Fi connection slowing down with BT on

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wi-Fi connection slowing down with BT on: Hi Guys, Normally my Wi-Fi connection is like 40-50 Mb/s, but it slows down to, like, 10 Mb/s or so with BT on. That maybe does not sound bad, but often websites are taking ages to load. I switched my router to 802.11n; even if that helped, the improvement is hardly...
  10. Broadband boost promised as Openreach heads for split from BT

in Windows 10 News
    Broadband boost promised as Openreach heads for split from BT: Communications regulator Ofcom is pushing ahead with plans to make BT Openreach a separate company, in a bid to improve broadband competition in the UK. The watchdog said it is proceeding with a formal notification to require the legal separation of Openreach from BT, and...