Windows 10: Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed?

Discus and support Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; January 2019 - ADSL broadband speed: - [img] Actual speed was regularly 16 + Mbps. December 2019 - ADSL broadband speed: - [img] Actual speed is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by wiganken, Mar 24, 2020.

1. wiganken Win User

Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed?

January 2019 - ADSL broadband speed: -

Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed? [​IMG]

Actual speed was regularly 16 + Mbps.

December 2019 - ADSL broadband speed: -

Actual speed is regularly 12.5Mbps.

One day it was 16+ Mbps then the first day of new contract it was down to 12.5 Mbps so it has got to be deliberate. The line is capable of 16+ Mbps but suddenly it is capped at 12.5 Mbps.

I believe that this is a deliberate tactic by BT / Openreach to get people to move over to fibre as part of the move to switch off copper wire ADSL, and I can understand it, but has anyone else noticed their ‘copper’ ADSL speed being reduced at contract renewal time?

BT to Propose Full Fibre Move and Copper Switch Off by 2027 UPDATE - ISPreview UK

Be interesting to see if it is becoming a widespread practice.

:)

wiganken, Mar 24, 2020
  2. wiganken Win User

January 2019 - ADSL broadband speed: -

Actual speed was regularly 16 + Mbps.

December 2019 - ADSL broadband speed: -

Actual speed is regularly 12.5Mbps.

One day it was 16+ Mbps then the first day of new contract it was down to 12.5 Mbps so it has got to be deliberate. The line is capable of 16+ Mbps but suddenly it is capped at 12.5 Mbps.

I believe that this is a deliberate tactic by BT / Openreach to get people to move over to fibre as part of the move to switch off copper wire ADSL, and I can understand it, but has anyone else noticed their ‘copper’ ADSL speed being reduced at contract renewal time?

BT to Propose Full Fibre Move and Copper Switch Off by 2027 UPDATE - ISPreview UK

Be interesting to see if it is becoming a widespread practice.

wiganken, Mar 24, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

At this difficult time where many more people will be working from home and using the Internet far more for all sorts of things e.g "Virtual Pub meets, parties etc", and of course streaming a load more movies etc I doubt whether ANY ISP on the planet will be messing around with their infrastructure currently until all this stuff is all over.

Of course moving from Copper (expensive to source, expensive to maintain, environmentally very "Planet Unfriendly", comes from countries where Child Labour is rife and terrible conditions in the mines) to optical fibre makes perfect sense.

As to pricing -- presumably if you have any sort of sensible regulatory systems in place then it's up to consumers to prevent themselves from getting ripped off.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 24, 2020
  4. wiganken Win User

Thanks for reply. I believe it is a general slowing down of ADSL copper broadband leading up to the switch-off. Here is a picture from 'Computer Active' magazine showing other ISPs only offering 11 Mbps: -

I reckon ADSL speeds will continue to be slowed down pushing people to switch to fibre at next contract renewal time.
    I also reckon that future basic fibre speeds will not be as fast as they are now as more and more people use the available fibre bandwidth.

This is not a complaint. It's just an observation and acceptance that that is the way things are going to go.

wiganken, Mar 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed? - Similar Threads - Openreach slowing down

2. very slow wired speeds on pc, wifi is 300+mbps and wired is 84mbps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    very slow wired speeds on pc, wifi is 300+mbps and wired is 84mbps: I am using a hardwire connection and my speed wired is 84mbps 48ms ping. Wi-Fi is 220mbps, Xbox Series X is 989mbps wired 68ms ping, why is my pc so slow? I have Xfinity service 1Gbps, tech was just hear and signal strength is great. If i hard wire to a Xfinity Pod i get...
  3. very slow wired speeds on pc, wifi is 300+mbps and wired is 84mbps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    very slow wired speeds on pc, wifi is 300+mbps and wired is 84mbps: I am using a hardwire connection and my speed wired is 84mbps 48ms ping. Wi-Fi is 220mbps, Xbox Series X is 989mbps wired 68ms ping, why is my pc so slow? I have Xfinity service 1Gbps, tech was just hear and signal strength is great. If i hard wire to a Xfinity Pod i get...
  4. Sudden slow down of ethernet speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sudden slow down of ethernet speed: Day before yesterday my ethernet suddenly stopped working/net was not working. The ethernet symbol was correctly displayed and text showed it was connected properly but internet simply dosent work. I have tried reconnecting , in the first few mins it gave 8-10mbps speed and...
  5. Sudden slow down of ethernet speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sudden slow down of ethernet speed: Day before yesterday my ethernet suddenly stopped working/net was not working. The ethernet symbol was correctly displayed and text showed it was connected properly but internet simply dosent work. I have tried reconnecting , in the first few mins it gave 8-10mbps speed and...
  6. Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is BT / Openreach slowing down copper wire ADSL speed?: January 2019 - ADSL broadband speed: - [img] Actual speed was regularly 16 + Mbps. December 2019 - ADSL broadband speed: - [img] Actual speed is regularly 12.5Mbps. One day it was 16+ Mbps then the first day of new contract it was down to 12.5 Mbps so it has got to be...
  7. internet speed slows down

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    internet speed slows down: I have an old Dell XPS system running Windows 10pro Using a Broadcom gigabit ethernet card. I am hard wired directly to the WOW modem and do get speeds of up to 550mbps. But after a while, anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours, it starts to slow down to under 100. Every time...
  8. Slow downs in SATA transfer speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow downs in SATA transfer speed: I am having an odd issue where the transfer speed from my HDDs slows to unusable after my computer has been on for a while. I have my primary OS drive as a Samsung 850 1TB SSD, paired with 2 x 3TB Toshiba HDDs. When I first start my computer, everything works as it...
  9. Wi-Fi connection slowing down with BT on

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wi-Fi connection slowing down with BT on: Hi Guys, Normally my Wi-Fi connection is like 40-50 Mb/s, but it slows down to, like, 10 Mb/s or so with BT on. That maybe does not sound bad, but often websites are taking ages to load. I switched my router to 802.11n; even if that helped, the improvement is hardly...
  10. Broadband boost promised as Openreach heads for split from BT

in Windows 10 News
    Broadband boost promised as Openreach heads for split from BT: Communications regulator Ofcom is pushing ahead with plans to make BT Openreach a separate company, in a bid to improve broadband competition in the UK. The watchdog said it is proceeding with a formal notification to require the legal separation of Openreach from BT, and...