Windows 10: Is Controlled Folder Access available when running a third party antivirus

Discus and support Is Controlled Folder Access available when running a third party antivirus in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, Windows 10 Pro Before I install the third party antivirus installed, I have enabled controlled folder access. After third party antivirus is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by redhonker, Jan 27, 2021.

1. redhonker Win User

Is Controlled Folder Access available when running a third party antivirus

Hi,

Windows 10 Pro

Before I install the third party antivirus installed, I have enabled controlled folder access.

After third party antivirus is installed, I occasionally get the warning in notification. But I don't appear to have way to access the controlled folder access setting. Clicking on the notification does not lead to anything other than delete the notification itself.

Search for "Controlled Folder Access" and then open it result in: Page not available. Your IT admin has limited access to some areas of this app.

Any way to use it along with a third party antivirus?

Thanks

:)

redhonker, Jan 27, 2021
  2. Matt316 Win User

Controlled Folder Access

Hi.

I've been using Controlled Folder Access recently but I'm having a problem getting one application to change/create files. I use doPDF8 to create PDF files, but when CFA is active, it won't save my work. The notice explaining that something has tried accessing the folder only comes up once. (I assume that if you don't do anything about it, the program trying to access the file is put on the 'black list'.) Turning CFA off and then on again causes the notice to appear once more. However, the notice seems to suggest that it is C:\Windows\splwow64.exe that is trying to access/create the file, but when I put this into the 'allow app control' list, it still doesn't work. The only way I can find to get the PDF file created is to turn off CFA, create the file and then turn it back on again.

Any ideas?

Matt

(Windows 10 ver 1709)

Matt316, Jan 27, 2021
  3. Jsssssssss, Jan 27, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Add Protected Folders to Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10  

The user did not report that- but has Bitdefender installed. Merely that the button was greyed out. I haven't asked him to try disabling or uninstalling Bitdefender (his comments suggest that would not be acceptable long term).
    Controlled folder access is greyed out Solved - Windows 10 Forums

If it is true that having a 3rd party AV results in the button being greyed out with no explanation, this is going to give rise to questions. Would seem worth adding to the tutorial that it's a prerequisite that Defender real time scanning be enabled and not disabled by a 3rd party AV being used- which is a very common scenario.

dalchina, Jan 27, 2021
Thema:

1. Is Controlled Folder Access available when running a third party antivirus - Similar Threads - Controlled Folder Access

2. Why is Antimalware Service Executable running with third-party antivirus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Antimalware Service Executable running with third-party antivirus?: Hello, I recently installed Avast on my PC, and the service "antimalware service executable" is still running. Is it supposed to still run with another antivirus installed? I am also getting security intelligence updates for windows defender when I update my PC. I already...
  3. Why is Antimalware Service Executable running with third-party antivirus?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Antimalware Service Executable running with third-party antivirus?: Hello, I recently installed Avast on my PC, and the service "antimalware service executable" is still running. Is it supposed to still run with another antivirus installed? I am also getting security intelligence updates for windows defender when I update my PC. I already...
  4. Problem with Controlled folder access and third-party antivirus things-

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Controlled folder access and third-party antivirus things-: My question is that I've been using this app called FL studios, Frooty loops, and its music and it's not working because of the Controlled folder access but when I got to Antivirus protection on the 'controlled Folder access' it doesn't show because I have a "third party...
  5. Problem with Controlled folder access and third-party antivirus things-

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with Controlled folder access and third-party antivirus things-: My question is that I've been using this app called FL studios, Frooty loops, and its music and it's not working because of the Controlled folder access but when I got to Antivirus protection on the 'controlled Folder access' it doesn't show because I have a "third party...
  6. Third-party antivirus and Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Third-party antivirus and Defender: Hi all, I hope I can be as clear as possible. I have Kaspersky Total Security, and I've had it since December. Every once in a while I'll get notifications to turn on Microsoft Defender - I understand installing third-party antivirus software will turn off/disable Defender,...
  7. Controlled folder access with another antivirus

Controlled folder access with another antivirus: I would like to use the "Controlled folder access" functionnality in the latest version of Windows 10, to fight against ransomware. But i don't want to use Windows Defender as an antivirus no virus scan in real time - okey for a CFA scan in real time. How to do that ?...
  8. xbox-accessories and third party controls?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    xbox-accessories and third party controls?: Does xbox-accessories for windows 10 work with third-party controls? specifically this: https://www.kromgaming.com/comandos/kaiser thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xbox-accessories-and-third-party-controls/ba571933-d1e5-44c5-bcb8-1a90fbff4398
  9. Enabling windows ransomware protection when a third-party antivirus is installed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enabling windows ransomware protection when a third-party antivirus is installed: Enabling windows ransomware protection when a third-party antivirus is installed. I have avast antivirus installed on my PC, but I have found that if a third party antivirus is installed windows ransomware protection is not activated. is there a way to use windows ransomware...
  10. Third-party antivirus alongside Windows defender

Third-party antivirus alongside Windows defender: Noob question, I'm sure it has been asked and answered a million times, but can I run a third party security software while leaving defender active? I had Eset for years with Malwarebytes as backup manual scanner, now with Win10 I'm considering leaving the paid antivirus...