Windows 10: Is CryptoPrevent 8 user friendly?

Discus and support Is CryptoPrevent 8 user friendly? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I didn't get around to updating to version 8 as this program is easy to forget you have... Now I have reinstalled Windows I will probably reinstall it.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Kol12, May 21, 2017.

1. Kol12 Win User

Is CryptoPrevent 8 user friendly?

I didn't get around to updating to version 8 as this program is easy to forget you have... Now I have reinstalled Windows I will probably reinstall it. I recall someone saying version 8 was not so user friendly as the old version, is that true? Is it still a good additional line of defence?

:)

Kol12, May 21, 2017
  2. Monkey57 Win User

How crypto ransomware spreads... is it decryptable...should I pay the ransom

quietman7,

While this discussion deals mainly on how to deal with the after-effect of ransomware.. Do you have suggestions on what users can do to protect their computer and/or data from these attacks?

I have liked cryptoprevent, but have seen other market entries (some from suspicious vendors)

CryptoPrevent Malware Prevention

use free version only-for personal use

This tool (cryptoprevent) does not run in the back ground, it automatically changes registry settings (some recommended by Microsoft), but it does update occasionally, so check it for updates.

And maintaining a rotating backup, with non-attached storage (to much work for many average users)

Also, with the reports of the more recent attackers using tools and methods previously associated with state sponsored intrusions, would a more hardened OS by Microsoft, that incorporated some of the methods from spiceworks and/or cryptoprevent, be helpful.

Exclusive: Chinese hackers behind U.S. ransomware attacks -...

A Top Cybersecurity Firm Says Ransomware Attacks Are Getting Worse

Monkey57, May 21, 2017
  3. receive emails

Can not receive or send emails from my att.net. I received them on Windows 81 but not since I downloaded Window 10. Any suggestions?

window 8 user, May 21, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

No problems running it - until I just tried to launch it and it gave me a Net Framework related error.
    I reinstalled it and it's ok.

Effectiveness? Well, hard to say..!

dalchina, May 21, 2017
  5. Kol12 Win User
    What I meant was, it should still be a good additional line of defence... and it has the potential to pick up on threats other AV might not. I think it's pretty recommended around here, just have to remember to check for definition updates.

Kol12, May 21, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    I know what you asked- how can we (users) assess it?

Your basic first stop is to maintain an offline backup.

There are other tools: CyberReason Ransomfree; Norton produces a tool - I just saw a mention of it- and I also have Bitdefender's AntiRansomware.

And you might consider a white-listing program.

dalchina, May 21, 2017
  7. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I must admit v8 is not as user-friendly as older versions. I have just downloaded the RansomFree by Cybereason to see how it is.

eLPuSHeR, May 22, 2017
  8. eLPuSHeR Win User

Ok. I have tried RansomFree by Cybereason on a newly formatted PC and I have found out that it's loading time is quite long. I don't know about its effectiveness though. Next time I am going to try the BitDefender one.

eLPuSHeR, May 22, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, just curious- loading time - at what stage? What did you notice? Thanks

dalchina, May 22, 2017
  10. Kol12 Win User
    Would this RansomFree need to be run instead of Cryptoprevent i.e. you should not run both? Do you suspect this program is better than Cryptoprevent?

@dalchina

Can you reiterate why you might want a white-listing program?

Kol12, May 23, 2017
  11. eLPuSHeR Win User
    It takes a little to show its icon at the notification tray, even after everything else has loaded (MBAE, WD, etc). Other than that, no real reason to worry about if it is doing its work properly. Could it be it may be using some services and such? I forgot to check that.

eLPuSHeR, May 23, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    Simple- if a program is NOT in the white list, when an attempt is made to execute it, the user has to approve that.

A large prompt appears warning the user about various aspects of the program.

Years ago Zonealarm's firewall used to do this.

dalchina, May 23, 2017
  13. Kol12 Win User

So whitelisting is another form of protection essentially? Are people commonly doing it right now, if so what programs?

Kol12, May 24, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Yes. Any new 'unknown' unapproved program is trapped- exe's, dll's...

As far as I know at present there are only commercial programs around that do it. But any of the major AV suites could potentially include it- I just don't know- one of the AV review sites could help there.

I got a giveaway copy of SecureAPlus

Is CryptoPrevent 8 user friendly? [​IMG]

which includes multi-engine cloud scanning as well.

It can automatically whitelist everything already on the PC, so easy to configure initially.

It imposes little apparent overhead, but there is one conflict on my system where unlocking Avast's updated signature file causes it to generate a BSOD...! Support is actively looking into this.

dalchina, May 24, 2017
  15. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Hello.

I have tried BitDefender Antiransomware and it loads faster than RansomFree. The fastest of all is still Cryptoprevent.

eLPuSHeR, May 24, 2017
Thema:

1. Is CryptoPrevent 8 user friendly? - Similar Threads - CryptoPrevent user friendly

2. Default apps and HELP/SUPPORT not user friendly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default apps and HELP/SUPPORT not user friendly: How do I make Microsoft 365 as the default app for office documents? Whenever I double-click/open the office documents like .docx, the process always kept reverting back to old Microsoft Office apps. I'm so tired of Microsoft making their apps and help files so damned cryptic...
  3. I need very user friendly help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I need very user friendly help: I have discs or CDs or whatever they are called that I've had for several years. Had to get a new computer & lost lots of programs. Trying to re-install embroidery type programs, digitizing, lettering, that type. When I put the disc in nothing happens. They used to start...
  4. Family & friends not showing user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Family & friends not showing user account: For some unknown reason, family and friends are not showing under user account [img] Although the image says "administrator" it's actually my email address that's showing 122729
  5. wind 10 photoviewer is not user friendly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wind 10 photoviewer is not user friendly: i import photos for tax purposes. i dont need to edit or look at them, i just want to import to a file. windows photoviewer doesnt seem to allow the creation of new files. at least not easily and intuitively! I downloaded to faststone to use instead and even though it is...
  6. Microsoft is a not user friendly!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft is a not user friendly!: I just downloaded Office 2016 for my iMac. I realize that Steve and Bill didn't always agree, but it would be super helpful if the download/install instructions actually explained how to access services that have been purchased so WE CAN USE THEM. I am relatively tech...
  7. Is this forum user friendly??????????

in Windows 10 Support
    Is this forum user friendly??????????: Hi, I am a new member and yesterday I made my first post. 1) It was supposed to be posted in "Installation & Maintenance" but for some reason found it's way into "Performance & Maintenance" ?????????? LOOK FOR: Windows 10-1803 "corrupted files & sfc /scannow malfunction" 2)...
  8. CryptoPrevent Version 8 is Out

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    CryptoPrevent Version 8 is Out: Another great addition to fighting the criminals CryptoPrevent Malware Prevention CryptoPrevent is a robust anti-virus/anti-malware software supplement, filling a huge gap that exists with traditional security solutions to provide protection against a growing...
  9. Malware help please + cryptoprevent

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Malware help please + cryptoprevent: So I have this in the log of cryptoprevent Event ID=866 Message of: Access to C:\Users\Zman\AppData\Local\atbizdu\cgcstpk.exe has been restricted by your Administrator by location with policy rule {B6AF3C37-6012-4DEC-87BB-5125E94F5BC5} placed on path...
  10. User friendly way to test SSD HD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    User friendly way to test SSD HD: Is there a user friendly way to test an SSD HD? Have downloaded a few bits of software that give a load of numbers and no explanation of how bad the drive is? 40875