Windows 10: Is CU now being forced on my system?

Discus and support Is CU now being forced on my system? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have been running v1607 and had Windows Update set to defer FEATURE Updates. Today I see one of the Updates Windows Update is telling me to download... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MPSAN, Jul 30, 2017.

1. MPSAN Win User

Is CU now being forced on my system?

I have been running v1607 and had Windows Update set to defer FEATURE Updates.
    Today I see one of the Updates Windows Update is telling me to download is Version 1703. Isn't that CU that I did not want and is there any way to stop it?

:)

MPSAN, Jul 30, 2017
  2. Angius Win User

It's 04.10.2017, I would think I'd get Creators Update by now...

Back when CU came out, I still had a Phenom II X4 840 (plus 8 GB DDR2 RAM and GTX 970). I wasn't too concerned about the lack of CU, since I thought my CPU might be too old, so it's further down the line when it comes to the update being released.

A few months ago, however, I got myself an upgrade to Ryzen 5 1600 and 16 GB DDR4. Turns out, CU didn't come to my PC yet, regardless of the upgrade.

Is it a matter of Ryzen CPUs not being fully supported by Microsoft yet? Is it just a matter of my PC being randomly not chosen for any of the update rollout waves?

Also, yes, I know I can force the update. But I'd rather not. I'd rather install it when MS says it's safe to do so.

Angius, Jul 30, 2017
  3. SRNonStop Win User
    Mouse problem - No mice work, wireless or wired

Thanks Greg,

Uninstalling CU 1709 worked. A bit frustrating that I'm now forced to install updates that cause issues. Way to go Microsoft.

SRNonStop, Jul 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I had this happen too.

Defer feature upgrades = delay it for some months. Defer = delay, not stop, prevent, inhibit.

Try this to extend the delay:

Is CU now being forced on my system? [​IMG]

Is CU now being forced on my system? [​IMG]

Ultimately to stay with the Anniversary edition you will presumably have to disable Windows Update completely.

References:
    Configure Windows Update for Business (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs
    The new Defer Upgrades and Updates Group Policy in detail 4sysops
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/set-pe...tes-windows-10

Note:
    A further level of protection is gained by setting Windows updates to Notify
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/make-w...indows-updates

dalchina, Jul 30, 2017
  5. MPSAN Win User
    Thank You. However, should I let it update? I always do an image first so I could restore the image cant I?

MPSAN, Jul 30, 2017
  6. docpipo Win User
    I'm not 100% sure, but I can't see why you wouldn't be able to do a restore point or something of that nature if you find out you don't want the update. (or an image like you said.) Good luck, let us know if it works.
    (p.s. getting kinda tired of M$ plugging updates as critical or whathaveyou when they're not necessary at all.)

docpipo, Jul 30, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Well, as they say, the choice is yours. And a very wise person would, as you say, create or update a disk image first.
    If the Creator's works ok for you, that's fine... you didn't say if you'd a specific reason to defer it.

dalchina, Jul 30, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

System Restore points are (as they should be as the old ones are then meaningless) deleted when you upgrade. So they are irrelevant in that context. Reversion to the previous build (within 10 days) is supported.

MS's policy of providing security updates would be fine if
    a. they were always reliable (sometimes after a new build they may be problematic
    b. there was no risk of an unexpected restart.

- I choose to have updates set to Notify so they are downloaded at my convenience - I can update my disk image beforehand, and no risk of unexpected restart.

Necessity- they may not add functionality, but they are meant to fix bugs and security loopholes.

dalchina, Jul 30, 2017
  9. MPSAN Win User
    Thank you all:
    What I meant by an image was a FULL Image using Macrium Reflect!

MPSAN, Jul 30, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    create = full image.

If you already have an image set (base image + differentials or base + incrementals) well, heck, you can just create a new differential or incremental (= update your image).

The end result is you're protected. The choice is yours.

dalchina, Jul 31, 2017
  11. docpipo Win User
    I agree, I didn't mean to imply the updates are worthless.

to MPSAN: when i referred to using Macrium Reflect, I cloned the drive, so if you have an unused drive, I suppose you could either clone it or create an image to reapply if the updates do not suit you or what have you. I think dalchina is correct in that you should be a-okay!

docpipo, Jul 31, 2017
  12. MPSAN Win User
    OK, ALL:

Well, I had been worried that the CU would deactivate Windows and Office 2016. Others say that it will not and that all of their software, MS and others, was OK after the update!

MPSAN, Jul 31, 2017
  13. vanp Win User

MPSAN, I received notification (thru Windows Update) of CU over the weekend. I was hoping it would never find me because of all the problems people had been having with it. But, given that it was here, I wouldn't be able to take any other updates w/o CU also, so I just bit the bullet and did it.

I created a system image first (as I do once a week), then did the update. No problems there. (In theory you could use Windows' rollback mechanism (10 day limit, I think) to undo CU, but restoring from a system image probably would be faster, easier, and less probability of something going wrong.) There have been lots of horror stories with this thing, but maybe M$ used the last few months to fix the problems. Other than a minor hiccup with the screen saver I haven't had any problems.

14. zbook New Member
    There may be ways to prevent upgrading from 1607 to 1703.
    For example on one of my computers that had gone through the automatic update there was just a pop up indicating that the upgrade failed. So as long as you know how to make the upgrade fail you can be successful in preventing the upgrade. You are not able to stop it from attempting the upgrade beyond the recurrent 6 days for a period of time though.

zbook, Jul 31, 2017
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    No you should be just fine, Windows CU will not disable your Windows or your Office 2016, plus the fact you use Macrium Reflect you have yourself well covered and protected. *Smile The Windows CU has gone thru some minor bug fixes also since it was 1st released, which also helps a lot now. These fixes are all included in your upgrade.

You Will get a new Recovery Partition installed on your drive thou. giving you TWO recovery partitions, just so you know.
    This won't hurt anything, just takes up more HD space.

OldMike65, Jul 31, 2017
Thema:

1. Is CU now being forced on my system? - Similar Threads - being forced system

2. Updates being forced uppon.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updates being forced uppon.: Is there way to pernamently turn off updates on both W10 and W11? The latest updates for W10 that were forced on me, completely f#cked the system, where not even YOUTUBE works properly on my secondary monitor, without the browser using HW acceleration whereas it was...
  3. Updates being forced uppon.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updates being forced uppon.: Is there way to pernamently turn off updates on both W10 and W11? The latest updates for W10 that were forced on me, completely f#cked the system, where not even YOUTUBE works properly on my secondary monitor, without the browser using HW acceleration whereas it was...
  4. Updates being forced uppon.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Forced Restart and Network being forgotten

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Forced Restart and Network being forgotten: Window is having a major issue that won't let me connect to the internet. Whenever I restart the computer it forgets the network it was on. I have to constantly reimput the password and get no service. And whenever I troubleshoot the net it forces a restart. I have done scans...
  6. I am being forced to change my pin.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I am being forced to change my pin.: As I continue to use my pin to get into my computer when it's locked, around every 6 weeks a notification will come up that my organization requires me to change my pin. I have tried to do letters and change settings around this to make a more secure password thinking this...
  7. New Edge being forced in update

New Edge being forced in update: Please don't do this to me. Please, no, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Don't take my favorite browser from me! Don't force me to use crappy Chromium! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-edge-being-forced-in-update/4d5bda23-9b7f-4818-a707-0fa6f1668426
  8. Why is it when I remove the PIN, after being forced, that it now FORCES me to set one again...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why is it when I remove the PIN, after being forced, that it now FORCES me to set one again...: Its called "CX", Microsoft. I don't want to participate in your themepark ride. There is absolutely NO reason I should be forced to use a damned PIN when I've been using passwords for 20 years, which are MUCH MORE secure (I don't care what your articles attempt to say...
  9. CU: cannot increase the system font anymore!

in Windows 10 Customization
    CU: cannot increase the system font anymore!: Hello, just updated... I have a full hd and a small screen. My dpi is 150%. The font was size 11 before the update to CU. Now I CANNOT increase the system font anymore ("Icon font" was the option). I will use some tweak but I don't understand how MS think that...
  10. CU

CU: Anyway to go back to the CU? 95942