Windows 10: Is Custom Refresh Image Functionality Gone In W-10?

Discus and support Is Custom Refresh Image Functionality Gone In W-10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just as the title says. My windows 10 systems says "Recimg" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gator2013, Aug 4, 2015.

1. gator2013 Win User

Is Custom Refresh Image Functionality Gone In W-10?

Just as the title says.

My windows 10 systems says

"Recimg" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

What's the story?

:)

gator2013, Aug 4, 2015
  2. Andrei V. Win User

custom refresh gone, is there another way?

All I know about recimg is that I used it once to create a custom refresh, I thought it was a great idea, but after using that custom image I lost some settings and also some apps that were on drive C and should have been restored.

And the second time I used it, I created the custom refresh image but was unable to restore from it because the restore system kept complaining about space issues on drive C. It seems that, even if the custom refresh is on drive D, when you want to refresh
    from it, it is first copied to drive C.

After these 2 negative experiences I started reading about this new custom refresh tool and found some articles that criticized it and explained that it is an experiment left unfinished.

Also, I don't know if you can use this custom refresh to restore your system if you are unable to boot Windows at all. Let's say your boot files are corrupt and you cannot boot at all, not even in safe mode. How exactly do you use the custom refresh to restore
    your system?

Yes, you are right, on systems with little disk space, it is pointless to partition the drive in 2. But wbadmin will work for these systems also. The only problem is that the image is going to also contain the user files, since in this situation these files
    are on drive C.

But I would recommend using file history (or another user files backup solution) in these cases nevertheless.

Backing up user files should be done way more often than system images.

The fact that the system images are going to also contain a snapshot of user files is just a welcomed redundancy (you never know when they might be useful).

Andrei V., Aug 4, 2015
  3. Andrei V. Win User
    custom refresh gone, is there another way?

"Custom refresh" was a nice idea but badly implemented. It was a testing software left there afterwards but never "polished" as it should have been.

So it looks like they decided to drop it instead of making it useful.

I used it only a couple of times but when I saw how terrible it was at restoring I never touched it again.

When talking about backup, there are two different aspects that we must consider: system backup and user files backup.

In my opinion it is very wise to separate these aspects and treat them as 2 issues that must be addressed. That is why, when I set up a new computer (or computers) I always create two partitions on the storage device (hard drive, RAID, etc): one for the
    system files and one for the user data.

After installing the OS and all the necessary software, as one of the last steps in setting up the system, I move the user folders to drive D, in a dedicated folder. By user folders I mean those folders called "Documents", "Desktop", "Pictures", "Videos",
    "Music", etc. They are called a little bit differently on Linux, but they also exist there.

I then instruct the user to always use these dedicated system folders to save all the files he/she creates, putting them in the appropriate place.

In order to have a backup of these user files, many solutions exist. I personally use an external Hard Drive where I sync these folders using FreeFileSync.

But I just noticed that there is a very nice feature in Windows 10, File History, that can be used for exactly the same purpose and in exactly the same way (syncs user files to an external hard drive, into a dedicated folder). I think I am going to switch
    to this one...

For the system partition backup, I tested and tried many solutions but in the end I came to the conclusion that nothing beats creating a system image with the built-in tool available in Windows since Vista: wbadmin.

It is true that you have to use command prompt but you can also create a batch file (as I did) to launch it when necessary.

It makes an EXACT COPY of your essential system partitions, in a VHD file format, which means that you can also mount it and copy individual files from it if needed.

The only down side is that it uses no compression, so the size of the VHD file is almost equal to the size of occupied space on drive C. But with the extra large external hard drives of these days, that shouldn't be an issue. My system image size for example
    is 42 Gb. On my 1.5 Tb external HDD...

To restore from this kind of image, one could use a bootable recovery media or it can be done directly from Windows, if it is still bootable.

The command used to create the image is (ran from an elevated command prompt):

wbadmin start backup -backuptarget:E: -allcritical -quiet

Obviously, backup target letter should point to the external HDD that will be used.

One more note on this, the external HDD must be formatted NTFS (which is a good idea anyway).

Andrei V., Aug 4, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

Yes. It was removed in one of the beta (technical preview) versions, but nobody knows why. What I'm wondering is what will happen if transfer the recimg.exe file from a Windows 8 machine into the same folder on a Windows 10 machine.

5. gator2013 Win User
    For some reason that does not surprise me and I just recently found out that ExpressCache SSD's do not work with W-10 either. I used my laptop as the guinea pig for W-10 and have been on W-10 since 7/29 but I have decided that my desktop(8.1), my primary system, will not move to W-10 until the cache drive situation is resolved. In this case a move to W-10 would be a downgrade not an upgrade. I will be reverting back to 8.1 on my laptop as well until some of the loose ends are tied off. That's a shame really because I was looking forward to W-10 before it's release but I think it should be a lot better in a couple of months.

gator2013, Aug 4, 2015
  6. YOU
    You Win User
    They're supposedly releasing a huge bugfix update sometime soon. I would recommend waiting for it to come out before deciding to revert.

Thema:

1. Is Custom Refresh Image Functionality Gone In W-10? - Similar Threads - Custom Refresh Image

2. W and 2 keys not functioning.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W and 2 keys not functioning.: I recently purchased an Acer swift laptop and everything started smoothly until recently It's started mapping the W and 2 keys to windows and fn respectively. So when I press the W key when trying to type it suddenly performs every windows function under the sun lock,...
  3. W and 2 keys not functioning.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W and 2 keys not functioning.: I recently purchased an Acer swift laptop and everything started smoothly until recently It's started mapping the W and 2 keys to windows and fn respectively. So when I press the W key when trying to type it suddenly performs every windows function under the sun lock,...
  4. Custom refresh rate

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom refresh rate: I've been looking for help on how to change the refresh rate of a laptop monitor to a lower or custom refresh rate option.I have a laptop that is capable of running its integrated display at 240hz, and I can switch between 60hz and 240hz in the advanced display settings, in...
  5. Search function Gone

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search function Gone: Search function Gone in Win menu. And grayed-out in File Explorer "Search this PC" . Can no longer Search for any files or docs. Running Win 10 / 64 bit. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-function-gone/332c0fa3-dab2-47af-a365-58ec559129e0
  6. App gone after refresh

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App gone after refresh: Hi! I recently performed a refresh on my Windows 10 laptop, and noticed that when completed, Microsoft Store said that I do not own Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition. I had access to it before the refresh, now I don't. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!...
  7. Is Custom Refresh option still gone in Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is Custom Refresh option still gone in Windows 10?: Since so many people do not use a backup program I always advised everyone running Windows 8 to at least make a custom refresh image of their systems. I know that option was discontinued in the earlier builds of Windows 10. Personally, I regularly backup my systems. Now that...
  8. Show Current Refresh Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Show Current Refresh Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10: How to: Show Current Refresh Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10 How to Show Current Custom Recovery Image used to Refresh Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10130 released on May 29th 2015. [img]...
  9. Deregister Refresh Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Deregister Refresh Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10: How to: Deregister Refresh Custom Recovery Image in Windows 10 How to Deregister Current Custom Recovery Image used to Refresh Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10130 released on May 29th 2015. [img]...
  10. Set Refresh Custom Recovery Image as Active in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Refresh Custom Recovery Image as Active in Windows 10: How to: Set Refresh Custom Recovery Image as Active in Windows 10 How to Set a Custom Recovery Image as Active to use to Refresh Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with Windows 10 build 10130 released on May 29th 2015. [img]...