Windows 10: Is Edge REALLY supposed to be the shape of things to come?

Discus and support Is Edge REALLY supposed to be the shape of things to come? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; and replace browsers like Firefox? I'm the first to admit I'm an old troglodyte, and I WANT to make my tools work the way I WANT TO, but... Yes,... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by GracieAllen, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Is Edge REALLY supposed to be the shape of things to come?

and replace browsers like Firefox?

I'm the first to admit I'm an old troglodyte, and I WANT to make my tools work the way I WANT TO, but...

Yes, it runs, but where's the ability to significantly customize it? Move the tab bars? Tell it what I want to show up in new tabs? Put in the Add-ons I want to customize my UI and environment. And on and on...

I can't even find a SIMPLE, OBVIOUS way to get the bookmarks from Firefox...

I rarely used IE, and tried Chrome and shrugged, but is this thing supposed to drag browsers down to the lowest common denominator so the same thing can run on the most limited cell phone or tablet that runs on the desktop and impose the limitations of the worst devices on the desktop software?

:)

GracieAllen, Aug 22, 2015
  2. SFroy Win User
    SFroy, Aug 22, 2015
  3. peteryupp Win User
    Cortana UK does none of the things she is supposed to do

Key features that don't work for me in Windows 10 Mobile (Lumia 930):

• When to leave for work
    • When to go home
    • When to leave for an appointment
    • When to leave to go to the airport to catch a plane
    • Live sports updates on my favorite team
    • Not synced with Outlook
    Are these meant to work in the UK, or not? I've seen most of them advertised as being part of her UK persona. But she has never done any of this for me, ever.

She just sits there sucking up data and returns nothing and I am really tired of waiting for her to doing something useful.

Please can someone tell what Cortana's UK capabilities are? Yes, I have everything enabled to make her do all of this. I've done a lot of research and don't think I've missed anything, so maybe you can help?

peteryupp, Aug 22, 2015
  4. tcman50 Win User

Is Edge REALLY supposed to be the shape of things to come?

Edge isn't done, extensions coming in the fall and by then hopefully some much needed updates as well.

As for importing bookmarks, click the 3 stacked lines icon on the upper right of the edge browser that says Hub, and then click import, doesn't get much easier than that.

I was a long time user of firefox and then a long time user of chrome, gotten tired of both of them and Edge isn't finished, now running Opera browser, it is one slick piece of software at this point, love it.

TC

tcman50, Aug 22, 2015
  5. gbt3 Win User
    Edge will not import Firefox bookmarks, to which GracieA referred. Now only Chrome and IE.

6. Mystere Win User
    As tcman says, Edge is still in development. This is only "version 1". If you go back to the first release of any new browser, they typically have very few features. For instance, Firefox was originally a "slim and lean" version of Mozilla. It had very few features. Chrome in its first version did not have extensions either.

Software does not spring forth, fully formed out of the head of Zeus. It typically has to evolve until it becomes fully featured.

Mystere, Aug 22, 2015
  7. Tonyb Win User
    You have to remember Edge is and windows 10 is like one big giant beta its always changing and always getting new stuff added to it, hence Edge is version 1 of things to come. Microsoft said it once this is the last version of windows ever, so we are all one big giant Beta tester per say the software is ever changing. Watch for a update in the fall for extensions.

Tonyb, Aug 23, 2015
  8. Is Edge REALLY supposed to be the shape of things to come?

I sure hope it improves... Windows 10, at least, doesn't SEEM to be any worse than Windows 8, although that ridiculous process they devised for getting an ISO didn't inspire confidence.

GracieAllen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Is Edge REALLY supposed to be the shape of things to come?

1. Is Edge REALLY supposed to be the shape of things to come? - Similar Threads - Edge REALLY supposed

2. keys doing things they are not supposed to do

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keys doing things they are not supposed to do: Hello im a windows 11 user and today i noticed a weird problem with my pc, when i pressed escape it opened the windows settings menu when i pressed r it typed a backslash as well when i pressed b it opened up some weird microsoft meetings app when i pressed left control it...
  3. keys doing things they are not supposed to do

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    keys doing things they are not supposed to do: Hello im a windows 11 user and today i noticed a weird problem with my pc, when i pressed escape it opened the windows settings menu when i pressed r it typed a backslash as well when i pressed b it opened up some weird microsoft meetings app when i pressed left control it...
  4. keys doing things they are not supposed to do

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. keys doing things they are not supposed to do

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. That supposed 'Windows 11'-leak thing on YT...

in Windows 10 Support
    That supposed 'Windows 11'-leak thing on YT...: What do you think? I think someone just picked a copy of Windows 10X off the web and ran with it. Looks kinda fake too, posting Windows 11 everywhere... Leaked Windows 11 screenshots apparently confirmed to be genuine | PC Gamer /g/ - Windows 11 leak is fake - Technology -...
  7. Rectangular shapes instead of circular shapes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Rectangular shapes instead of circular shapes: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] As you can see I have problem where circular shape turns into rectangular shape. I have amd radeon rx 5500 xt If you know how to fix these please reply....
  8. Edge Chromium is really bad!

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Chromium is really bad!: I am currently testing the new Edge Chromium. To be honest. Its really bad. I mean the UI. Maybe under the hood seems stable and faster, but the User Interface is really bad. The one thing I cannot seem to figure out, is that on the New Tab page, The Microsoft Bing search...
  9. Is Edge Chromium suppose to sync with the "original" Edge?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is Edge Chromium suppose to sync with the "original" Edge?: I know both have sign on's to sync... and I imagine both want to sync toy our mobile device; but do they sync with each other? I haven't tried the mobile browser yet until I sort out the desktop, but i wasn't able to sync my regular "edge" favourites over to the chromium...
  10. Couple of cool things coming

in Windows 10 Customization
    Couple of cool things coming: One is Top Apps (used) showing in Search... can go (back) to them, quickly & easily. Another is Search & Cortana being separated. Notice, now, an icon for each. NB: These images were put here using Snip & Sketch accessed directly via Win+Shift+S* together w/ Win+V,...