Windows 10: Is Fast Boot/Startup good or bad for a HDD?

Discus and support Is Fast Boot/Startup good or bad for a HDD? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Why is it good or bad whether it's turned on or off? 146224 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ItzGame, Dec 11, 2019.

1. ItzGame Win User

Is Fast Boot/Startup good or bad for a HDD?

Why is it good or bad whether it's turned on or off?

:)

ItzGame, Dec 11, 2019

2. Fast boot, is it a good thing or bad ?

I was replying to this post, Fast boot, is it a good thing or bad ?

On a side note: If it was always referred to as "Windows Fast Startup" it wouldn't be confused with the "BIOS Fast Boot". I'm as guilty as anybody else for miss stating it. Had to do a couple of edits in this thread. *Redface

alphanumeric, Dec 11, 2019
  3. ram93 Win User
    laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Dec 11, 2019
  4. Rob Welsh Win User

Windows 10 Fast Startup Boot Fail

Since about the update to W10 V1607 a Fast Startup enabled boot stalls. The four window panes appear but the circle of dots chasing it's tail do not. Prior to V1607 Fast Startup was working. Update KB3194798 failed, but was subsequently successful. A "sfc
    /scannow" didn't turn up any problems, and its to early for a boot log. Any suggestions for tracking down this annoying little problem?

Rob Welsh, Dec 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Is Fast Boot/Startup good or bad for a HDD? - Similar Threads - Fast Boot Startup

2. Is fast startup bad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is fast startup bad?: I am running windows 11 on a NVME SSD with 512gb storage is fast startup bad for my pc?SSD:WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ-512G-1006 512.1 GB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-fast-startup-bad/0e7c20d1-f175-44a0-afc4-eb0dffee6089
  3. Is fast startup bad?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is fast startup bad?: I am running windows 11 on a NVME SSD with 512gb storage is fast startup bad for my pc?SSD:WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ-512G-1006 512.1 GB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-fast-startup-bad/0e7c20d1-f175-44a0-afc4-eb0dffee6089
  4. Fast Startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast Startup: Why is my option to "Turn on fast startup" greyed out? [ATTACH] Pls Answer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fast-startup/4c05238b-43c2-4cc7-abff-f89aaf2795cd
  5. A good but A BAD update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A good but A BAD update: Hi!Yesterday I updated my windows from Win7 to Win10.When i opened windows explorer I saw that my disk D: is missing..I tryed to update the drivers or search for it in Disk Management but i can t find it. I opened the command prompt and type diskpart..Here i search for my...
  6. Fast Startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Fast Startup: Okay so I figured out what's causing my computer to not fully shut down, and I'm cool with the whole fast startup feature but my problem with it is that I cant turn my computer back on when its in that mode, like I would have to hold the power button for it to fully shut...
  7. Fast-startup and keyboard boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast-startup and keyboard boot: Normally I would use the sleep button or a shortcut(shutdown -s -t) to turn the desktop off. Lately though ive been using the Start button and shutting down and i've noticed that all it takes for me to turn on the computer is to hit any key. Now I know that Windows 10 uses...
  8. Fast boot, is it a good thing or bad ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast boot, is it a good thing or bad ?: I personally enjoy it, makes a pc load fast, what am i missing > i see on many answers around the board disable fast boot 77890
  9. Fast startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast startup: Hi, does anyone know how to enable fast startup without enabling hibernation windows 10? Thank you 18351
  10. Fast startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast startup: I tend to leave windows 10 mostly at default settings. So I keep fast start up enabled on my desktop. I do have an SSD but it is convenient and shaves a few seconds of reboot i guess. However I want to know whether it relies on a power source? What I mean by this is, is my pc...