Windows 10: Is fibre broadband a waste of £ for our situation?

Discus and support Is fibre broadband a waste of £ for our situation? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My ADSL (copper wire) download speed is 13.2 Mbps (see BT Wholesale Test Result picture), which I feel is enough bandwidth for our situation. We use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by wiganken, Jan 17, 2021.

1. wiganken Win User

Is fibre broadband a waste of £ for our situation?

My ADSL (copper wire) download speed is 13.2 Mbps (see BT Wholesale Test Result picture), which I feel is enough bandwidth for our situation. We use Netflix which only needs 5 Mbps leaving 8.2 Mbps for one other user (there are only the two of us). We only do web browsing, emails and maybe the odd online video clip.

Actual download speed is also dependant on remote server throttling the speed at which they stream data packets so high bandwidth does not guarantee high download speed.

Question - Am I right that, in this scenario, paying extra money (about 4/month extra) for extra bandwidth (up to 35 Gbps) by changing over to VDSL (Fibre-to-the-cabinet in our case) would be a waste of money?

Thanks

Is fibre broadband a waste of £ for our situation? [​IMG]

:)

wiganken, Jan 17, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

Forging a full fibre broadband and 5G future for all in UK

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/f...future-for-all

Brink, Jan 17, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Forging a full fibre broadband and 5G future for all in UK

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/f...future-for-all

Brink, Jan 17, 2021
  4. Is fibre broadband a waste of £ for our situation?

Windows 10 Fibre broadband PC won't connect

I have recently upgraded to fibre broadband. I used my home pc to confirm that the new service/router was working and repeated process for work pc and smartphones. Having established all was working I used my home pc to change the wifi security key. I
    then successfully logged back in to my work pc and smartphones. However my home pc says it can't connect to the new router and if I try to connect to the internet through Network and sharing centre I am told I am not connected to any networks. If I try to
    set up a new connection I end up with an empty box which never finds anything to connect to and if I then try to connect to the internet I get error code 651. Searches of this suggest I try Safe Mode but that makes no difference. I am completely stuck - Help!!

AndrewPenn, Jan 17, 2021
Thema:

Is fibre broadband a waste of £ for our situation?

1. Is fibre broadband a waste of £ for our situation? - Similar Threads - fibre broadband waste

2. 64-bit Windows pcs do not connect to my new full fibre broadband?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    64-bit Windows pcs do not connect to my new full fibre broadband?: I have 2 64-bit Windows 10 pcs, a laptop and a desktop and a new Windows 11 laptop. All three machines worked on my old copper broadband connection. Once I had installed a new full-fibre connection the two 64-bit machines cannot connect to the internet. The diagnostics screen...
  3. 64-bit Windows pcs do not connect to my new full fibre broadband?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    64-bit Windows pcs do not connect to my new full fibre broadband?: I have 2 64-bit Windows 10 pcs, a laptop and a desktop and a new Windows 11 laptop. All three machines worked on my old copper broadband connection. Once I had installed a new full-fibre connection the two 64-bit machines cannot connect to the internet. The diagnostics screen...
  4. 64-bit Windows pcs do not connect to my new full fibre broadband?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. What a difference fibre makes!

What a difference fibre makes!: I live in an urban area with dense housing. The estate is huge with thousands of properties, and starting a few months ago, we had Virgin Fibre installed in all the streets. Last Friday, the fibre was extended to the house and a fitter installed the rest inside. I opted for...
  6. Broadband

Broadband: Broadband is ok in safe mode but slow in normal mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/broadband/6745881a-c3b5-4067-8668-268576418f02
  7. Fibre installation

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Fibre installation: Hi Guys, I recently had Vumatel Fibre installed on my property, (residential for home use) only had it for a couple weeks but now when I switch on my PC it tells me: "your computer was unable to start...." "Start up repair is checking yr system for problems." Then...
  8. Forging a full fibre broadband and 5G future for all in UK

in Windows 10 News
    Forging a full fibre broadband and 5G future for all in UK: Mandatory full fibre broadband for all new build homes and a new priority to connect hard-to-reach rural areas are key measures proposed in a national, long-term strategy for UK telecommunications. The new approach is aimed at driving large-scale commercial investment in the...
  9. Fibre Connection Problem

Fibre Connection Problem: I live in a remote area and recently, when it became available, upgraded to a Fibre Broadband connection from a WiFi connection. Since the upgrade my browsers have had repeated initial failures to connect to websites which I didn't have with the WiFi connection, probelms...
  10. Fibre Connection Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Fibre Connection Issues: I live in a remote area and recently, when it became available, upgraded to a Fibre Broadband connection from a WiFi connection. Since the upgrade my browsers have had repeated initial failures to connect to websites which I didn't have with the WiFi connection, probelms...