Windows 10: Is file history (control panel) reliable? Differential backup apps sug

Discus and support Is file history (control panel) reliable? Differential backup apps sug in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I remember being all happy in 8.1 with file history, until it died on me and found nothing I was looking for. Is it reliable in 10? I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by CapFlam128, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Is file history (control panel) reliable? Differential backup apps sug

I remember being all happy in 8.1 with file history, until it died on me and found nothing I was looking for.
    Is it reliable in 10?

I have a couple of files I want to backup on a external HDD. I would need a differential backup software, any suggestion?

Thanks.

:)

CapFlam128, Jun 17, 2017

2. how do I restore files from file history after system image restore.

I had the same issue, and there's a way to get File History to see the full range of backup points. Here are the instructions for Windows 10:

• In the Start menu, type "Control Panel" to bring up the old Control Panel app - open it.
    • Click the "System and Security" section.
    • Click the "File History" section.
    • In the File History control panel, on the left-hand column, click "Select drive."
    • Select the drive that had your prior File History backups.
    • Once you have selected the drive, the bottom pane will show your existing backups. You should see the prior backup there (and possibly a backup from today if File History already tried to create a new backup). Select the past backup that you want. A message
      may pop up informing you that this is a past backup.
    • Once you're back at the File History control panel, on the left-hand column, click "Restore personal files." You should be able to use the File History navigation tool to navigate your prior backup and restore it.
    Good luck!

robertgb2_592, Jun 17, 2017
  3. History backup settings conflict

Trying to do a History backup to external USB flash drive. Using the "Settings" app to choose folders and files to include in the backup and files and folders to exclude. When the backup is completed, the backup doesn't backup those folders I chose in
    "Settings" but does backup those locations shown in the "Control Panel" History backup settings: "Libraries, Desktop, Contacts and Favorites". Why is the file History backup defaulting to the Control Panel settings and is there a way to get the History backup
    to those files and folders I've selected in the Settings app? I recently upgraded all the way from Vista to Windows7 to Windows 10 but I understand that the new "History" backup has no relationship to my past backups under the previous versions of Windows.

PwrUsr&EE, Jun 17, 2017
Thema:

Is file history (control panel) reliable? Differential backup apps sug

1. Is file history (control panel) reliable? Differential backup apps sug - Similar Threads - file history control

2. Reliability History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reliability History: Can someone explain why I am seeing this? My computer hangs frequently and I am seeing this in my reliability history. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reliability-history/2ab8e4d4-897a-4680-9456-2437ff53ebcc
  3. Reliability History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reliability History: Can someone explain why I am seeing this? My computer hangs frequently and I am seeing this in my reliability history. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reliability-history/2ab8e4d4-897a-4680-9456-2437ff53ebcc
  4. File History backup?

File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  5. File history backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history backup: I am planning to upgrade my notebook. Ques is, I have my data saved as file history in an external drive. Will I be able to restore data into new notebook from this file history?...
  6. File history backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File history backup: Windows 10 v 2004.I notice when selecting Settings-Windows Update-Backup-the option to "add a drive" to back up using file history has been replaced with "Automatically back up my files"although not ON as default. How does this work to back up to a seperate drive? 158363
  7. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  8. reliability history

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    reliability history: why my pc shows windows not properly shutdown in reliability history although I have never improperly shut it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reliability-history/15b03c5a-888f-4283-bd11-03755a8970ca
  9. Backup file history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup file history: How do I set up File History to back up to an external hard drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/backup-file-history/2809c456-e34a-47f9-93ab-ea6c9188fd03"
  10. Reliability history of updates apps

Reliability history of updates apps: I use reliability history quite a bit to monitor what apps have updated. Has anyone noticed lately that the apps listed here are just gobbledegook? Rather than say what app updates it'll just say 'application-some number-submission'. It doesn't do for all of them but it does...