Windows 10: Is formatting required during clean install from USB stick?

Discus and support Is formatting required during clean install from USB stick? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I bought a new SSD drive and used it to replace my old slow HDD in my laptop. I have just successfully installed windows 10 on it. During the step... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by qq107, Nov 23, 2015.

1. qq107 Win User

Is formatting required during clean install from USB stick?

I bought a new SSD drive and used it to replace my old slow HDD in my laptop. I have just successfully installed windows 10 on it.

During the step shown in the picture below, I clicked on "New"

Is formatting required during clean install from USB stick? [​IMG]

Which brought me to this step

Is formatting required during clean install from USB stick? [​IMG]

From here, i just chose "Drive 0 Partition 4", clicked "Next", and the installation began.

Now here is my question, does it make a difference (or is it better) if I had chosen to format "Drive 0 Partition 4" first and then install? cuz my friend is saying that I should always format before installing Windows.

Thanks

Pictures courtesy of tenforums

:)

qq107, Nov 23, 2015

2. Purchased an SSD - Will my Windows 8.1 Product Key Work for Windows 10?

You cannot clean install during the upgrade. Clean installs require a custom install (format) and you can only clean install after the hardware has been registered and the qualifying OS validated with the windows store. After that you can
    do a clean install when ever you like from the ISO that will be available on or about July 29

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Nov 23, 2015
  3. Fresh Install

You cannot clean install during the upgrade. Clean installs require a custom install (format) and you can only clean install after the hardware has been registered and the qualifying OS validated with the windows store. After that you can
    do a clean install when ever you like from the ISO that will be available on or about July 29

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Nov 23, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

There will be no difference, format is done automatically by Windows Setup. In fact you don't even need to partition the drive (unless you want to keep some space for dual-boot with another operating system), you just select the unallocated disk and Setup will do the rest. It will create all system partitions and the rest space will be formatted to NTFS for Windows.

spapakons, Nov 23, 2015
  5. qq107 Win User
    Thanks~ That's good to know*Biggrin

qq107, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is formatting required during clean install from USB stick? - Similar Threads - formatting required during

2. Unable to clean install windows 10 from usb stick

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to clean install windows 10 from usb stick: The install gets to 96% of installation then I get an error message. The error says that windows cannot install the required files. Make sure all files that are required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007025DI’ve formatted the 1TB...
  3. Unable to clean install windows 10 from usb stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to clean install windows 10 from usb stick: The install gets to 96% of installation then I get an error message. The error says that windows cannot install the required files. Make sure all files that are required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007025DI’ve formatted the 1TB...
  4. Unable to clean install windows 10 from usb stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Media Tool changes USB format from NTFS to Fat32 during clean install of Windows 10

Media Tool changes USB format from NTFS to Fat32 during clean install of Windows 10: Windows Feature Updates have been failing to complete on my Dell Inspiron laptop for almost two years. I get notifications to update and restart every day and I want to solve this problem. I was told by Windows support that a clean install of Windows was required, using a USB...
  6. Media Tool changes USB format from NTFS to Fat32 during clean install of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Tool changes USB format from NTFS to Fat32 during clean install of Windows 10: Windows Feature Updates have been failing to complete on my Dell Inspiron laptop for almost two years. I get notifications to update and restart every day and I want to solve this problem. I was told by Windows support that a clean install of Windows was required, using a USB...
  7. USB stick requirements

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB stick requirements: I want to download the 64 bit version of windows 10 pro for my new pc but my usb stick only has 7,45GB space. Is it enough? submitted by /u/NickAlpha [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e5fur1/usb_stick_requirements/
  8. Clean Install 1903 with USB stick

Clean Install 1903 with USB stick: Hello. If I try to clean install 1903 with just the installation USB stick attached to my laptop, will I run into this? "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10" error on a computer that has a USB device or SD card attached Does anyone know if the 1903 ISO has been...
  9. Delete or format partition during clean install windows

Delete or format partition during clean install windows: Hey guys i just join this forum and today i've plan to clean install my PC well i kinda noob with this one and i like to ask some question. Once you get to the Custom (Advanced) tab of Windows 10 clean install there are options to delete the partition, format, etc. Which one...
  10. boot problems after clean install from usb stick to SSD

boot problems after clean install from usb stick to SSD: I bought a new 250 GB SSD and wanted to perform a clean install of windows 10. I installed windows from a USB stick and all seemed to go well until installation finished and I attempted to reboot removing the usb stick after first changing bios to boot from SSD. It wont boot...