Windows 10: Is HDR Support Really Still This Bad On Windows?

Discus and support Is HDR Support Really Still This Bad On Windows? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Just got a new Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 with the HDR 4k display, loving the machine so far. But ran into an odd issue, and after testing I think Windows (or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/planedrop, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Is HDR Support Really Still This Bad On Windows?

Just got a new Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 with the HDR 4k display, loving the machine so far. But ran into an odd issue, and after testing I think Windows (or maybe Intel GPU drivers) are to blame.

I enabled HDR and immediately I started getting weird artifacts, flashes, static spots on the screen, flashing colors, etc.... At first I was worried the XE GPU was bad or the display was bad. But I did some more testing and I no longer think this is the case. First off I can display really vibrant colorful content without HDR enabled, at max brightness, and it's totally fine, 0 issues at all. Secondly, I can play games (which is where the XE GPU is being pushed) and there are no issues at all.

But the one that really did it for me here is that I turned HDR on, some flickers and stuff were happening, started an HDR video on YouTube, was still having the same issues. However, I then went into Windows settings again, disabled HDR, but the video was still playing in HDR (since you have to refresh to disable that), and it wasn't just reporting HDR, it was very clearly HDR content (and refreshing the page confirmed it went back to SDR and looked worse). And during this time, I watched for 2-3 minutes, NO ISSUES AT ALL. This tells me it's gotta be software right?

Another thing that confirms this theory is that I've had similarly weird issues on any machine I've tried enabling HDR on. Only 1 time have I had very few issues, and that is my HTPC on my LG OLED. But my desktop through multiple displays, my other laptops, other people's machines, etc... All have weird artifacting. I've had entire displays go purple, system crashes, etc....

I should note that was all on battery power, haven't had the chance to test it with power in yet but will here soon, if it's different I will update the post, but if you don't see an update about it then it's the same as described above.

submitted by /u/planedrop
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/planedrop, Oct 24, 2020

2. HDR monitor BAD HDR colours.

I have a Samsung C32HG70 2560x1440p 144hz HDR monitor with a Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti connect with displayport 1.4 but with all HDR games the colours are lesser bright and vibrant with windows HDR on or off, and in-game HDR on. The monitor go's in HDR mode wen
    i select HDR. What is the HDR problem here and how can i slove this HDR problem? Even SDR have better colours.

Windows version 1709

Nvidia driver 388.13

Nvidia advanced colours default > 10 bit RGB full.

dxdiag shows HDR is supported

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Type: Full Device

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B06&SUBSYS_36021462&REV_A1

Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]

Device Problem Code: No Problem

Driver Problem Code: Unknown

Display Memory: 19294 MB

Dedicated Memory: 11132 MB

Shared Memory: 8162 MB

Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (144Hz)

HDR Support: Supported

Display Topology: Internal

Display Color Space: DXGI_COLOR_SPACE_RGB_FULL_G2084_NONE_P2020

Color Primaries: Red(0.679211,0.314953), Green(0.269055,0.667492), Blue(0.152844,0.062023), White Point(0.313977,0.329602)

Display Luminance: Min Luminance = 0.049110, Max Luminance = 603.665771, MaxFullFrameLuminance = 351.250427

Monitor Name: CHG7_C32HG7xQQ (DP)

Monitor Model: C32HG7x

Monitor Id: SAM0E14

Native Mode: 2560 x 1440(p) (143.998Hz)

Output Type: Displayport External

Monitor Advanced Color Capabilities: BT2020RGB BT2020YCC Eotf2084Supported AdvancedColorSupported AdvancedColorEnabled

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures

WitcherNoonwraith, Oct 24, 2020
  3. HDR: not supported

so if (HDR: not supported) that mean my computer is broken and i have to fix it.

Pham QuangDuy, Oct 24, 2020
  4. Is HDR Support Really Still This Bad On Windows?

Windows 10 HDR problems in full screen.

Hello moderator

1. Its all the games I own that don't support HDR10. Basically when I full screen on a non-HDR game, the screen goes black for a few seconds and HDR gets disabled and all the colors looked washed out (Like its in SDR)

I took 2 screenshots, One is in window mode, the other is in full screen

Windowed mode (HDR on) : imgur.com

Full screen mode (HDR off) : imgur.com

2. Yes SDR looks washed out. I want to play my games in full screen and in HDR. Playing in windowed mode is a nightmare

3. I know because the monitor goes black for a few seconds and all the colors look washed out (As shown in the screenshots)

Sadly the fixes did not work Is HDR Support Really Still This Bad On Windows? :(

I updated the GPU drivers via GeForce Experience app.

My Monitor does support 4k HDR10

I tried lower the resolution and the refresh rate but that did not work.

Here is a video of my problem

YouTube Link :

Time Stamps :

0:00 HDR mode is on everything looks fine (In the video, when it looks high contrast, that means HDR is on)

0:35 I full screen the game. If you notice the high contrast is no longer there, the colors are washed out

0:46 I disable full screen and HDR mode is back on

*HDR looks high contrast, Ignore that, that's just the video itself.

Im also using windows 10 64bit 1809

WillyMcFly, Oct 24, 2020
Thema:

Is HDR Support Really Still This Bad On Windows?

1. Is HDR Support Really Still This Bad On Windows? - Similar Threads - HDR Support Really

2. HDR is not supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR is not supported: that is my laptop Legion 5-15IMH05H Lenovo - Type 81Y6 I had HDR working i rested my pc now is not supported. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdr-is-not-supported/183bc407-5d1e-4f8d-aaa4-338b6a1821f6
  3. HDR is not supported

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDR is not supported: that is my laptop Legion 5-15IMH05H Lenovo - Type 81Y6 I had HDR working i rested my pc now is not supported. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdr-is-not-supported/183bc407-5d1e-4f8d-aaa4-338b6a1821f6
  4. HDR not supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR not supported: Hello,I recently changed both my computer and my monitor, both of which are compatible with HDR10 Technology. However, on Windows 11, it says that I can't use HDR because it's not supported. In the settings of the monitor itself, HDR appears as 'auto'. When opening DXDIAG, it...
  5. HDR not supported

HDR not supported: Hello,I recently changed both my computer and my monitor, both of which are compatible with HDR10 Technology. However, on Windows 11, it says that I can't use HDR because it's not supported. In the settings of the monitor itself, HDR appears as 'auto'. When opening DXDIAG, it...
  6. HDR not supported

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR not supported: I have two HDR monitors but recently I found HDR settings say unsupported , why is that ? Windows 11 ProI have Windows 11 updated to latest and AMD GPU updated to latest. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdr-not-supported/4b1207a0-26e0-497c-a7af-27ac276a606f
  7. HDR not supported

HDR not supported: I have two HDR monitors but recently I found HDR settings say unsupported , why is that ? Windows 11 ProI have Windows 11 updated to latest and AMD GPU updated to latest. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdr-not-supported/4b1207a0-26e0-497c-a7af-27ac276a606f
  8. HDR support for windows 11

HDR support for windows 11: I search the forum and there are many questions about HDR but I could not find the solution of my issue.I have LG 34WP65C-B that is capable of HDR10. When go to System>Display>HDR. I get Play streaming HDR video not supported, Use HDR not supported. But when I run DxDiag I...
  9. HDR still not supported on Windows in 2020.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDR still not supported on Windows in 2020.: I'm posting parts of a discussion I've had on the DirectX Discord channel, because still needs to be addressed by Microsoft... I'm on 1909. I have an RTX 2060 and an AOC Agon AG322QC4 which supports HDR400. And if I enable Settings / System / Display / Play HDR games and...
  10. HDR: not supported

in Windows 10 Customization
    HDR: not supported: hello. My computer can not use HDMI when i reinstall windows 10 and i want to know why that happen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hdr-not-supported/43e886f3-86db-435d-8eae-982efb43bfb0

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows hdr support bad