Windows 10: Is HEVC still supported on Windows 11?

Discus and support Is HEVC still supported on Windows 11? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have some HEVC h.265 videos from a Canon R5 that I want to view/edit on Windows 11 through Davinci Resolve, but cannot open. These files can be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Lukas Richardson, Jan 19, 2024.

1. Is HEVC still supported on Windows 11?

I have some HEVC h.265 videos from a Canon R5 that I want to view/edit on Windows 11 through Davinci Resolve, but cannot open. These files can be viewed on VLC Player but are not recognized by the default Windows Media Player. I've already tried installing HEVC Video Extension both the free and $0.99 one but neither seem to fix the issue with Windows 11 not recognizing the video codec. I've also installed the K-Lite codec pack but to no avail.

:)

Lukas Richardson, Jan 19, 2024

2. Why Windows 11 still do not support HEVC natively ?

Why Windows 11 still do not support HEVC natively?

Is this licensing(legal) related issue or something else?

PijushGupta, Jan 19, 2024
  3. HEVC Extension

Hello LoyalJoshua,

Thank you for responding.

Here are the things we might consider why you have this problem:

• Faulty Microsoft Store services.
    • You're not signed it to the correct Microsoft account where the app is registered.
    • Incompatible app to Windows 11.
    The following are the suggested methods to troubleshoot Microsoft Store and apps issues:

METHOD 1: Install Windows updates

Make sure Windows 11 has the latest update.

1. Select Start > Settings > Windows Update > Check for updates.
    2. If there is an available update, select Install now.
    METHOD 2: Make sure that HEVC Extension app works with Windows 11.

Please see link below for more information about apps that aren't compatible:

Your app doesn't work with Windows

METHOD 3: Update Microsoft Store app

1. In Microsoft Store > Library.
    2. Look for Microsoft Store in the list, if updates is available, proceed in installing it.
    3. Check if it is working now.
    METHOD 4: Sign out and sign back in

Sign out the current account and make sure you sign back in with the right Microsoft account you use when you purchase this app.

1. Open Microsoft Store.
    2. At the upper-right corner, click on the profile icon and select your account.
    3. Click the Sign out button.
    4. Click on the profile icon again and click sign in.
    5. Once done, try to play the video again.
    METHOD 5: Open the video with HEVC Extension app

Try to open the video directly to HEVC Extension app.

1. Open File Explorer, locate where you save the video.
    2. Right-click on it and select Open with.
    3. Then select HEVC Extension app from the list.
    METHOD 6: Reset Microsoft Store

It will reset and delete the app data to resolve common problems.

1. Open Windows Settings > Apps > Apps & features.
    2. Select Microsoft Store app.
    3. Click the Advanced options link and click Reset button.
    4. Check if it's now working.
    METHOD 7: Reinstall HEVC Extension app

If the above steps did not work, try reinstalling the app instead.

1. Open Windows Settings > Apps > Apps & features.
    2. Select HEVC Extension app.
    3. Click the Advanced options link and click Uninstall button.
    4. To reinstall, open Microsoft Store again.
    5. Select Library. Find the app you want to reinstall, and then select Install.
    Let us know the result and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

Best regards,

Microsoft Community Moderator

Mara May M, Jan 19, 2024
  4. Is HEVC still supported on Windows 11?

Surface Pro HEVC Support

I have downloaded 1080p movies encoded in the new h.265 (HEVC) format on my 1st gen Surface Pro. I read online prior to getting Windows 10 that HEVC/h.265 will be supported. I now have Windows 10, but when I go to play the videos it plays, but just the
    audio. My question is, is it the Surface that isn't compatible with the HEVC movie, or is Windows 10?

bryanedwards441, Jan 19, 2024
Thema:

Is HEVC still supported on Windows 11?

1. Is HEVC still supported on Windows 11? - Similar Threads - HEVC still supported

2. Is HEVC still supported on Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is HEVC still supported on Windows 11?: I have some HEVC h.265 videos from a Canon R5 that I want to view/edit on Windows 11 through Davinci Resolve, but cannot open. These files can be viewed on VLC Player but are not recognized by the default Windows Media Player. I've already tried installing HEVC Video...
  3. Bought Hevc and Heif extentions still cant open hevc files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bought Hevc and Heif extentions still cant open hevc files: This is how they look in the pictures app And whenever i try to open them it shows this but i alredy paid and downloaded therm https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bought-hevc-and-heif-extentions-still-cant-open/b126e822-0d1c-401c-a1e7-987f9fd8b4b4
  4. Bought Hevc and Heif extentions still cant open hevc files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bought Hevc and Heif extentions still cant open hevc files: This is how they look in the pictures app And whenever i try to open them it shows this but i alredy paid and downloaded therm https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bought-hevc-and-heif-extentions-still-cant-open/b126e822-0d1c-401c-a1e7-987f9fd8b4b4
  5. Bought Hevc and Heif extentions still cant open hevc files

6. Why Windows 11 still do not support HEVC natively ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Windows 11 still do not support HEVC natively ?: Why Windows 11 still do not support HEVC natively? Is this licensinglegal related issue or something else? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-windows-11-still-do-not-support-hevc-natively/5507846f-57ed-47cc-a114-417f7e842ef4
  7. Why Windows 11 still do not support HEVC natively ?

Why Windows 11 still do not support HEVC natively ?: Why Windows 11 still do not support HEVC natively? Is this licensinglegal related issue or something else? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-windows-11-still-do-not-support-hevc-natively/5507846f-57ed-47cc-a114-417f7e842ef4
  8. HEVC Video Extensions support

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HEVC Video Extensions support: I loaded the HEVC Video Extensions support after purchasing from Microsoft Shop. Now the only audio that plays on my HP laptop internal speaker is the audio in the Film & TV video player. Do I need to re-install the file? Is there something else I can check. I have gone...
  9. Microsoft HEIF/HEVC Support

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft HEIF/HEVC Support: I recently purchased a new camera that is capable of recording in HEIF. Unfortunately, my computer, both in the photos app and Adobe apps, are unable to process these images. After some research I found out that Microsoft requires you to download a couple of extensions in...
  10. Edge/Chromium Hevc support

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edge/Chromium Hevc support: I have recently installed microsofts newest Browser... but when i watch netflix trough chromium or trough the netflix store app.. the image ( the blackest parts are pix-elated ). i also installed the HEVC support for devices from the store... Does someone also experiance...