Windows 10: Is high Cpu speed better for games or low?

Discus and support Is high Cpu speed better for games or low? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I opened Task Manager and went to View, then I saw an option called "Update Speed". I clicked it and it had a few options for increasing and decreasing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MoeizMasood, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Is high Cpu speed better for games or low?

I opened Task Manager and went to View, then I saw an option called "Update Speed". I clicked it and it had a few options for increasing and decreasing the CPU speed. It worked but my question was that should I increase my CPU speed when gaming? Will it change the game performance?

:)

MoeizMasood, Aug 26, 2020
  2. BecWeb Win User

Processor Speed is High / CPU Usage Low

I have an I5-3570k @ 3.4GHz but upclocks to 3.8GHz with the turbo mode.

Whilst 'idle' I have checked my processor multiplier in CPU-Z, ASUS AI Suite, Real Temp CPU monitor and it is stating 3800MHz. The CPU usage in task manager waivers between 3% and 5% and yet the multiplier stays high.

In Windows 7 it would downclock to 1600MHz when 'idle'. Now it just stays at 3800MHz.

Why is the processor staying at this high frequency 1) With low usage 2) Much higher than Windows 7?

EDIT: Solved this by going to the power settings. It was set on bitsum power management or something like that so I set it to balanced.

BecWeb, Aug 26, 2020
  3. maybei Win User
    CPU and GPU clock speeds drop under load

I'm having a weird problem with my laptop where, every few seconds during playing high-load games, the CPU and GPU both drop speed sharply for a second, causing a big slowdown in framerate. (For instance, the CPU speed will suddenly drop from about 3.4 GHz
    to less than 0.8 GHz). At the same time, the screen's brightness will dip as well, which suggests to me that it's related to my power settings. It also seems to happen more frequently when I'm charging a low battery than when the battery is full - I've even
    had it happen while streaming video when I'm charging from a low battery.

I've tried switching my power plan settings so that everything is the same for "On battery" and "Plugged in", which solves the brightness changing but does not solve the speed drop. I've also tried monitoring the temperatures of the GPU and CPU but they never
    seem too high. I've tried clean installs, updating drivers, etc. I don't have anything overclocked. I've had the laptop for a about a year and the problem is quite new, and seems to be getting worse.

System:

Gigabyte P55 WR7 notebook

Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.8GHz

16 GB RAM

NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

[Moved from: Windows/ Gaming on Windows 10]

maybei, Aug 26, 2020
  4. soopg Win User

Is high Cpu speed better for games or low?

CPU speed at 0.48Ghz during low battery

Hi,

On my laptop, I have noticed that the CPU speed is dramatically reduced from 1.98Ghz to 0.48Ghz whilst low on battery. As soon as I plug the laptop in, the CPU speed returns to 1.98Ghz. This loss of CPU speed has a great impact on system performance, rendering the laptop near useless.

My laptop is running an Intel Core i3, and I believe that the technology which controls the speed of the CPU is called SpeedStep. There is no option in the BIOS to turn this feature off. I have also tried to change this setting in the 'Power Plan' options (in Windows). I changed the minimum processor state to 100% and the cooling policy to 'Active'.

I would like to keep my CPU running at 1.98Ghz. Any suggestions?

(see this photo for clarification)

Many thanks.

soopg, Aug 26, 2020
Thema:

Is high Cpu speed better for games or low?

1. Is high Cpu speed better for games or low? - Similar Threads - high Cpu speed

2. CPU USAGE HIGH,, CLOCK SPEED LOW

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU USAGE HIGH,, CLOCK SPEED LOW: Hey thereSo I have a very strange issueMy PC has a RYZEN 5 5500U Its base speed is 2.10ghz and a turbo boost of 4.0ghzBut for some reason, it's been stuck on 1.81ghz or 1.20 GHz even at 18% utilization I don't know what is bottlenecking itI have another laptop also with a...
  3. CPU USAGE HIGH,, CLOCK SPEED LOW

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CPU USAGE HIGH,, CLOCK SPEED LOW: Hey thereSo I have a very strange issueMy PC has a RYZEN 5 5500U Its base speed is 2.10ghz and a turbo boost of 4.0ghzBut for some reason, it's been stuck on 1.81ghz or 1.20 GHz even at 18% utilization I don't know what is bottlenecking itI have another laptop also with a...
  4. Low download speed , high upload speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low download speed , high upload speed: Hello guys , I recently started having this issue where my download speed will drop around 1 to 3 mbps , whilst my upload speed would keep its average flow of around 90 mbps , like a week ago everything was fine , but suddenly my download speed , from around 80 90 mbps won't...
  5. Low download speed , high upload speed

Low download speed , high upload speed: Hello guys , I recently started having this issue where my download speed will drop around 1 to 3 mbps , whilst my upload speed would keep its average flow of around 90 mbps , like a week ago everything was fine , but suddenly my download speed , from around 80 90 mbps won't...
  6. Low download speed , high upload speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Low CPU Speed While Gaming on Battery Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low CPU Speed While Gaming on Battery Mode: Hi, so the problem started recently on my laptop. My CPU speed when not gaming is around 2.3 GHz and above. However, whenever I play a game, my CPU clocks down to 0.79 GHz and stays there until I close the game. I also checked my temperature while gaming, which is around 60...
  8. Low CPU Speed While Gaming on Battery Mode

Low CPU Speed While Gaming on Battery Mode: Hi, so the problem started recently on my laptop. My CPU speed when not gaming is around 2.3 GHz and above. However, whenever I play a game, my CPU clocks down to 0.79 GHz and stays there until I close the game. I also checked my temperature while gaming, which is around 60...
  9. LOW CPU SPEED WHILE GAMING

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LOW CPU SPEED WHILE GAMING: I have a problem with my laptop L340-15IRH Gaming Laptop IdeaPad. it started 2 weeks ago.my CPU goes from 4.19 GHz to 0.9 GHz after 5 min of playing any game like control assassins creed unity/origin/Valhalla/ battlefield 5 / Nioh 2 then sudden FPS from something like 60 fps...
  10. Low download speed with high internet speed.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Low download speed with high internet speed.: When I run an internet speed test, it gives me roughly 25 mbps, but when I download a program, it only downloads at about 3 mbps, while the task manager's wifi monitor shows the same number as the speed test. I tried the solutions in this post Why is my download speed so...