Windows 10: Is Hyper-V enabled when I install WSL 2?

Discus and support Is Hyper-V enabled when I install WSL 2? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I kept Hyper-V disabled before because I had noticed a slight performance hit when it was enabled. But I understand that WSL 2, which I absolutely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/InsideManufacturer9, May 29, 2020.

1. Is Hyper-V enabled when I install WSL 2?

I kept Hyper-V disabled before because I had noticed a slight performance hit when it was enabled.

But I understand that WSL 2, which I absolutely want to keep enabled, uses some kind of VM. Does that mean that enabling WSL 2 automatically enables the full hypervisor, with the main OS being in a VM? Can I enable Hyper-V in "Turn Windows features on or off" without taking a further performance hit (since it's already enabled for WSL)?

submitted by /u/InsideManufacturer9
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/InsideManufacturer9, May 29, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Can't Enable Hyper-V in Windows 10 Professional

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your effort on this. As per my research the error code 0x800f0831 is generated when .Net Framework 3.5 is not enabled on the computer. I suggest you to try enabling .Net Framework 3.5 on the computer. Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type appwiz.cpl and click on
      OK
    3. Click on Turn Windows features on or off.
    4. Now, select the check box for .Net Framework 3.5 and click on
      OK.
    5. Restart the computer.

You can also check if Virtualization feature is enabled in BIOS or not, if it is not enabled, I suggest you to enable it.

You may also refer the troubleshooting steps performed by Jins Peter replied on August 13, 2019 in the thread

Hyper-V on Windows Pro wont install
    and see if that helps.

For additional information, you may also refer the article
    Step-By-Step: Enabling Hyper-V for use on Windows 10

Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee
    that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on Hyper-V to assist you with the appropriate details.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 29, 2020
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    How to enable Hyper V windows 10

fwiw;

Operating System Requirements

The Hyper-V
    role can be enabled on these versions of Windows 10:

• Windows 10 Enterprise
    • Windows 10 Professional
    • Windows 10 Education
    The Hyper-V role cannot be installed on:

• Windows 10 Home
    • Windows 10 Mobile
    • Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise

'Mike P, May 29, 2020
  4. AlexOh7 Win User

Is Hyper-V enabled when I install WSL 2?

Enabling Hyper-V after it has been disabled?

Hi, I was doing Android development on my Surface Pro 3. Use of the android emulators required hyper-v being turned off, so I turned it off. Now, I'm working on a UWP app, and use of the emulators requires hyper-v. I have enabled hyper-v in the "Turn Windows
    features on/off" tool, so it's enabled there, but it doesn't seem to be enabled elsewhere, possibly the BIOS. Problem is, there is no option in the SP3 BIOS to enable hyper-v. Windows tells me in two places (task manager, turn Win features on/off) that hyper-v
    is enabled. However, running the following script in powershell:

tells me that it is disabled. Visual Studio also tells me it is disabled.

Any suggestions on how to fix?

AlexOh7, May 29, 2020
Thema:

Is Hyper-V enabled when I install WSL 2?

1. Is Hyper-V enabled when I install WSL 2? - Similar Threads - Hyper enabled install

2. i cant enable hyper v

in Windows 10 Customization
    i cant enable hyper v: i was trying to enable virtual machine platform and windows hypervisor platform when i enable at i restart my windows normally but in the progress he said we couldn't complete the updates undoing changes i spend so much time trying to fix this then i find out that i have to...
  3. i cant enable hyper v

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i cant enable hyper v: i was trying to enable virtual machine platform and windows hypervisor platform when i enable at i restart my windows normally but in the progress he said we couldn't complete the updates undoing changes i spend so much time trying to fix this then i find out that i have to...
  4. Enabling WSL/Hyper-V causes vram to change back to 2GB ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabling WSL/Hyper-V causes vram to change back to 2GB ?: Today, i wanted to try out wsl. As a linux and windows user, this would be very helpful! But when i enabled it and restarted my pc, i found out in task manager that my ram has changed form 7.4 gb to 5.9 gb. The "5.9 GB of ram" seemed familiar, because when i bought this pc,...
  5. Enabling WSL/Hyper-V causes vram to change back to 2GB ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enabling WSL/Hyper-V causes vram to change back to 2GB ?: Today, i wanted to try out wsl. As a linux and windows user, this would be very helpful! But when i enabled it and restarted my pc, i found out in task manager that my ram has changed form 7.4 gb to 5.9 gb. The "5.9 GB of ram" seemed familiar, because when i bought this pc,...
  6. Enabling WSL/Hyper-V causes vram to change back to 2GB ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. i have hyper v enabled why do i have 2 hyper v ethernet switches ???

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i have hyper v enabled why do i have 2 hyper v ethernet switches ???: so windows asked me the other day to reboot to configure ethernet switch for hyper v I thought was kind of strange, as well I did that when I first setup , but it asked so I rebooted and to my surprise I have 2 Ethernet hyper v switches making a total of three with my WI-FI...
  8. Does Hyper V automatically turn off if I disable WSL 2?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does Hyper V automatically turn off if I disable WSL 2?: Today I wanted my Virtualbox to do some work, but it throws some error: Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Kali-Linux-2019.2-vbox-amd64. Call to WHvSetupPartition failed: ERROR_SUCCESS (Last=0xc000000d/87) (VERR_NEM_VM_CREATE_FAILED). Result Code: E_FAIL...
  9. Error when installing Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Error when installing Hyper-V: I thought I would try out Hyper-V for the first time ever. However I'm getting an error message when installing it. [img] 17535
  10. Hyper-V & Win10 #2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hyper-V & Win10 #2: Is there a way to create a Desktop shortcut to the Hyper-V Windows 10 Client so when I double click it I launch Windows 10 under Hyper-V? I've seen suggestions for Powershell and VB scripts, none of which I could get to work. 2338