Windows 10: Is is possible to disable windows update without disabling the service

Discus and support Is is possible to disable windows update without disabling the service in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello all. I am in an environment where windows update can not patch on its own as I have STIG's I have to uphold and test properly. We do not have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by kl4ss1c, Aug 3, 2017.

1. kl4ss1c Win User

Is is possible to disable windows update without disabling the service

Hello all.
    I am in an environment where windows update can not patch on its own as I have STIG's I have to uphold and test properly. We do not have a WSUS server or SCCM either before anyone asks. Basically I have a standalone setup running Windows 10 version 1607, that is patched by a manual patch disk. The disk rides the windows update service to patch though which is why I can not turn it off. I have also tried a few LGPO's and everything only seems to defer them and not stop it.

If there are any other ways that people might know as work around, it would be appreciated if you would enlighten me.

Thanks.

:)

kl4ss1c, Aug 3, 2017

2. Windows 10 Store and windows update problem. Getting error code " (0x80070422) while downloading the apps from Store.

Original Title: Windows 10 Store and windows update problem

I have disabled windows update service from 'services.msc' because keeping it enabled/running makes it impossible to use internet because a service named 'Service host: Local System' takes up all of my 2Mbps bandwidth. I can't use anything regarding internet
    if windows update is not disabled. I have disabled p2p update sharing and all other tricks I can possibly find on the internet to lower the bandwidth usage but nothing helped even a little bit except to disable the windows update service altogether.

The problem is that if windows update service is disabled, Windows Store refuses to work properly! Sometimes it closes automatically, sometimes the search box won't take any input and sometimes it just doesn't download anything. It shows an error (0x80070422).

If I keep windows update enabled then the store starts working fine again. But if I disable windows update then the problems happen again.

Is there any way to make the windows store work without running the windows update service? Or are there any possible way to solve the crazy bandwidth issue? (I have tried every possible thing that can be found on google search. Nothing helps even a little
    bit to solve the bandwidth problem)

What should I do in this situation?

My windows version is 1511(Os Build 10586.420)

FahimMohiuddin, Aug 3, 2017
  3. Thibo_5 Win User
    Windows 10 Store - Updates fail to install - Error code 0x80070490

Hello,

Unfortunately the proposed methods did not work.

1) Apps Troubleshooter could not solve the problem

2) Clean boot:

- Booting with a minimum set of services running: In that case not possible to have a network connection. Without connection it is not possible to operate Windows Store and to check if an update can be installed.

- Booting with all services activated normally and startup applications disabled, did not solve the problem.

- Booting with some services disabled and startup application disabled, did also not solve the problem.

Thanks already for some further ideas to solve this issue.

Thibo_5, Aug 3, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

1. Set both Wifi and ethernet connections to metered. That's widely documented. However, some report the Creator's upgrade being received despite that. (And not reliable if you have the Creator's build).

2. Set updates to notify to download.
    Note the tutorial gives both instructions for the group policy editor (Pro) and a reg file (Home).

Thus you can ignore updates.

3. You could possibly block update servers using a firewall, or the Hosts file. However you need to know all the addresses.

dalchina, Aug 3, 2017
  5. NorfolkIT Win User
    NorfolkIT, Aug 3, 2017
  6. kl4ss1c Win User
    I apologize, I should of said it was Win10 Enterprise v1607 in the initial thread. Thanks for the replies so far but as far as I'm concerned with the setup for this project is, metered connection is not an option, and I have tried the GPO route as well already and it did not take. I was messing around with just disabling windows update as well, and now I have ran into an error when WU tries to reach out of 0x8024002e.

Thanks.

kl4ss1c, Aug 3, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Aug 3, 2017
  8. Is is possible to disable windows update without disabling the service

To stop updates altogether you can either stop the update service or never connect to the Internet. That said, Windows will not let you forget that the update service is not running and that checking for updates is necessary. There is a very good reason for this.
    Updates are necessary.
    Most updates are for security reasons. Without them you cannot be secure on the Internet. Some updates do add features or make related changes (like Creator’s Edition) but generally the updates simply fix problem in the system you are likely not aware of. As such, you need to be installing those updates.
    Some folks have an attitude from long ago that you can get by without updates because they tend to make your system unstable or make changes. This is not just wrong but leads to your PC being left insecure on the wild wild Internet.

Robert Brown, Aug 9, 2017
  9. hawkman Win User
    That error message means
    Access to an unmanaged server is not allowed.

However once youve fixed that.

Try turning of the BITS service.

Roy

hawkman, Aug 9, 2017
  10. I have set only the Default connection as metered, and it works.

Matthew Wai, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Is is possible to disable windows update without disabling the service - Similar Threads - possible disable update

2. Disable Windows Update Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Windows Update Service: Hi,We have Microsoft Team Room TAP and having Windows 11 22H2.I wanted to disable Windows Update as it creates problem sometimes windows stuck on completing windows update process therefore i wanted to permantely disable Windows Update service. To do this Disabled Windows...
  3. Disable Windows Update Service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Windows Update Service: Hi,We have Microsoft Team Room TAP and having Windows 11 22H2.I wanted to disable Windows Update as it creates problem sometimes windows stuck on completing windows update process therefore i wanted to permantely disable Windows Update service. To do this Disabled Windows...
  4. Disabling Windows Update Service

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disabling Windows Update Service: Long story short: Windows 11 downloaded itself on my computer. For 2 months I was able to keep pausing it as I do not want to install Windows 11 yet. Last time I went to pause it you need to check for updates first before you can pause again, it started the process of...
  5. Disabling Windows Update Service

Disabling Windows Update Service: Long story short: Windows 11 downloaded itself on my computer. For 2 months I was able to keep pausing it as I do not want to install Windows 11 yet. Last time I went to pause it you need to check for updates first before you can pause again, it started the process of...
  6. Windows Update services is disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update services is disabled: In windows update tab it is "One of the update services is not running properly, but you can try to run a troubleshooter to fix the problem. Go to Start button > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot, and then select Windows Update."...
  7. Windows Update services is disabled

Windows Update services is disabled: In windows update tab it is "One of the update services is not running properly, but you can try to run a troubleshooter to fix the problem. Go to Start button > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot, and then select Windows Update."...
  8. Windows Update services is disabled

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. disable windows update service

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    disable windows update service: i have disable windows update service many times, still it switches to manual mode by itself and start by itself my laptop is 7-8 years old and i am running of hard disk, i dont want windows to update 176762
  10. disable windows update service

in Windows 10 Support
    disable windows update service: i have disable windows update service many times, still it switches to manual mode by itself and start by itself my laptop is 7-8 years old and i am running of hard disk, i dont want windows to update 176762