Windows 10: Is it a bad idea to have two ram sticks from two different brands?

Discus and support Is it a bad idea to have two ram sticks from two different brands? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hey. I've got a question. Would two ram sticks Each 4gb from two brands cause performance issues? I've been upgrading some family laptops with such... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SandyPlayz86, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Is it a bad idea to have two ram sticks from two different brands?

Hey. I've got a question.

Would two ram sticks Each 4gb from two brands cause performance issues?

I've been upgrading some family laptops with such parts and I came accross this in a acer aspire v5 131-2497

where the original brand was ADATA with 4gb.

and the others were some new 4gb Samsung ram chips.

so I put the two new ram chips in the laptop and took out the old one.

but if I had kept it in, would it cause some problems?

like pc freezing or slow application? cause I tested before with the two different ram brands together. and it still said that 7.9 gigabytes were available. and the same for when I added the other Samsung chip and took out the Adata one.

Would this really of caused some problems?

I heard it could of and thats why i changed the original ram with the second ram chip that I baught.

Oh, one last thing. I noticed that the Adata one had lots of dust on the things the laptop pulls the ram from, you know, the black boxes. the little black boxes seemed to have some dust or some kinda corruption and I dont know if thats from it just sitting in the laptop and gathering dust. or if Adata just wasnt a good choice for Acer to put in this computer and the computer slowly started burning the ram chip out.

:)

SandyPlayz86, Jul 4, 2020
  2. quickie Win User

Two sticks of RAM, no dual channel

Previously, I had two 1GB Kingston RAM sticks. Like you, everything was the same except the mem. chip and pcb layout. And it ran in dual channel mode.

But now, with the new RAM stick, it won't run in dual channel anymore.

quickie, Jul 4, 2020
  3. erocker Win User
    PC only boots with 2 sticks of ram in 2 exact slots

So, two different motherboards, two different sets of RAM and it will only boot with two sticks in the furthest slots from the CPU.

I'm completely stumped! *Confused Is it a bad idea to have two ram sticks from two different brands? :confused: Call a Priest maybe?

Are either sets of RAM on the compatibility list and have you updated the bios' for either board?

erocker, Jul 4, 2020
  4. quickie Win User

Is it a bad idea to have two ram sticks from two different brands?

Two sticks of RAM, no dual channel

I cleared the CMOS, no luck. Also tried putting the RAM is all the combinations I could think of. (Btw, the RAM looks undamaged as far as I can tell. I ran Memtest again, it passed no problems)

It's weird, because the new stick of RAM looks physically identical to the bad RAM it replaced. (although one was manufactured in China and the other, Taiwan)

Oh well. I guess I’m going to have to live with it. I don’t see myself buying a new pair of RAM sticks for a machine I mainly use for office applications.

To clarify, SPDTool is used for changing RAM timings? The two sticks I currently have are rated at the same speed and timing.

quickie, Jul 4, 2020
Thema:

Is it a bad idea to have two ram sticks from two different brands?

1. Is it a bad idea to have two ram sticks from two different brands? - Similar Threads - bad idea ram

2. pc crashing with two ram sticks .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc crashing with two ram sticks .: Hi guys,I'm using Windows 11 with msi b450 tomahawk and Ryzen 7 2700x, I have used 8gb corsair ddr4CMK8GX4M1D3000C16 version 3.31 3000mhz 16-20-20-28 enabled xmp at 2933mhz for 4 years with no issues, I have updated today to two 16gb corsair 3200 MHz sticks CMK16GX4M1E3200C16...
  3. pc crashing with two ram sticks .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pc crashing with two ram sticks .: Hi guys,I'm using Windows 11 with msi b450 tomahawk and Ryzen 7 2700x, I have used 8gb corsair ddr4CMK8GX4M1D3000C16 version 3.31 3000mhz 16-20-20-28 enabled xmp at 2933mhz for 4 years with no issues, I have updated today to two 16gb corsair 3200 MHz sticks CMK16GX4M1E3200C16...
  4. Added new ram I have two 16 and two 32

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Added new ram I have two 16 and two 32: I added more ram so I’m at 96 ram total and when I turn on the pc everything loads and moment I open up internet I get blue screen that crashed it won’t let me do anything else? Can someone explain what’s going on...
  5. Added new ram I have two 16 and two 32

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Added new ram I have two 16 and two 32: I added more ram so I’m at 96 ram total and when I turn on the pc everything loads and moment I open up internet I get blue screen that crashed it won’t let me do anything else? Can someone explain what’s going on...
  6. Different speeds for two identical USB sticks

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Different speeds for two identical USB sticks: A few months ago I bought a set of 2 SanDisk Ultra 32GB USB3 sticks, one red, one blue (easier to reference that way). They're plugged in to two USB3 ports via 1 metre USB3 cables. For some reason they transfer at different speeds. The blue one transfers 35-40MB/sec, the red...
  7. Two different problems reported by two different browsers for Outlook.

in Browsers and Email
    Two different problems reported by two different browsers for Outlook.: This started about three days ago and is consistent with Microsoft Edge and hit or miss with Firefox, except that Firefox has the option to accept the risk and continue on to sign-in. Both browsers are fully up to date but the funny thing is, my smart phone uses the same...
  8. Ram memory from a different brand, is it ok?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ram memory from a different brand, is it ok?: So I have a Samsung 8gb memory ram stick DDR4 2666mhz, and I wanted to upgrade, so I was going to get another 8gb with the same specs to get in total 16gb, is it ok if it’s from a different brand?? submitted by /u/CrazyVenezuelan [link] [comments]...
  9. RAM stick gone bad?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    RAM stick gone bad?: Recently switched to SSD and since then I am getting regular BSOD, says Memory Management issue. Attached is the log if anybody can help me figure out. Thanks in advance. 121480
  10. Two users, two different environments on a laptop

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Two users, two different environments on a laptop: Likely a newbie question... I don't have a laptop so I can't check right now. Windows 10 x64 Pro two users. Is it possible to have two environments / desktops (maybe something like admin and guest?) on a laptop? which desktop showing up depending on the login credentials?...