Windows 10: Is it a good idea to turn off sleep on a drive?

Discus and support Is it a good idea to turn off sleep on a drive? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Besides my main nvme which was windows, my pc has 2 hdds. I was always hearing the sound of the drive walking about after i hadnt used it for a while... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Shiroxige, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Shiroxige Win User

Is it a good idea to turn off sleep on a drive?

Besides my main nvme which was windows, my pc has 2 hdds. I was always hearing the sound of the drive walking about after i hadnt used it for a while and i was wondering why. Until it hit me today XD

There should be an option that forces the drive to go to sleep. And of course there was....Obviously hearing the drive walking up and wait 2-4 secs give or take is fine, but i was wondering if its ok to set sleep to never.

The one drive is old. Its a 320gb from an old laptop, but the other one is 4tb and bought in july. Will sleep=never affect its lifespan? Should i just set it to 40 minutes or something? I did read that most failures are happening on the start/sleep cycle.

What are you guys suggesting?

:)

Shiroxige, Nov 22, 2020

2. PC turns on straight away after sleep mode is on

Hi Danny,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I see that you system is still on even if the sleep mode option is turned on. This might be due to the change in the power plan settings.

Please follow the below methods and check if it works,

Method 1: I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.
    Method 2: If the above method doesn’t help, I would suggest you to reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back with their default settings. Follow the steps.

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Type Power Options and then Enter.
    • In the left pane Select Change when the computer sleeps.
    • Select Restore default settings on this plan.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Reply us if you have further queries we will be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Nov 22, 2020
  3. Surface Pro 4 screen not turn on after sleep

Hi, thank you. I could restart my surface pro 4 but still could not fix the Surface Pro 4 screen not turn on after sleep. I am still looking forward to hearing more suggestions to fix the black screen after sleep.

SokthearithYi, Nov 22, 2020
  4. Is it a good idea to turn off sleep on a drive?

Surface Pro 4 screen not turn on after sleep

hi, thank you. I followed your advice but just worked for turn off and turn on and I am still encountering the screen not on after sleep. look forward to any further assistance for this screen not on after sleep. Thank you

SokthearithYi, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

Is it a good idea to turn off sleep on a drive?

1. Is it a good idea to turn off sleep on a drive? - Similar Threads - idea turn off

2. PC went to sleep and turned off, checked the event log and found this. Any idea why this...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC went to sleep and turned off, checked the event log and found this. Any idea why this...: - System - Provider [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power [ Guid] {331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4} EventID 41 Version 8 Level 1 Task 63 Opcode 0 Keywords 0x8000400000000002 - TimeCreated [ SystemTime]...
  3. Is it a good idea to merge the C: and D: drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it a good idea to merge the C: and D: drive?: I have a C: drive that is the default location for all my downloads, and my D: drive is completely empty. I thought to merge them both so as to give more space on one drive. This website here tells me the steps to do it without installing any third party software[In the...
  4. WiFi turns off after turning off / sleeping laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi turns off after turning off / sleeping laptop: Hello, probably after updating windows10, although I am not sure, in my laptop, where everything was okay so far, something with Wifi turned on, which disconnects after, e.g. sleeping the laptop. After turning it on, I have to wait a while until the internet connects again. I...
  5. Turning off UAC for good

Turning off UAC for good: Long story short. I am a fire alarm tech. I use different softwares but one cannot open if UAC is on amy setting but Never Notify Me when: and IT is no help as HQ wants it but HQ don't understand it hinders our productivity. Is there a way to keep it at NEVER whenever I use...
  6. External Windows 10 test drive, good idea?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    External Windows 10 test drive, good idea?: As a Mac technician, I found it very useful to boot from an external macOS test volume, best on an SSD. What about trying this for PCs too? I thought I may install Windows 10 on an external SSD on each machine I need to test (since driver incompatibility wouldnt allow a...
  7. Is it a good idea to install the latest update?

Is it a good idea to install the latest update?: I paused my updates a while back and forgot to unpause them. I am still running on the 2/11/2020 update. Should I install the latest cumulative update of just the latest security patches? In case it matters, this is a gaming pc. submitted by /u/Turboyoshi0406 [link]...
  8. Sleep and turn off times.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep and turn off times.: Hi, my username is , i am really, bit computr illiterate, my excuse, i'm ninty one, they never had gas operated computers in my day ! Problem, my screen turns off if i leave it a few minutes, all a little annoying,cant seem to rectify it forever logging in. Any help (in...
  9. resizing a partition -is it a good idea?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    resizing a partition -is it a good idea?: i have come across a program that can resize a new partition when if the primary disk is too full. and wondering how would resizing a partition benefit me in the long run? -not to say iam running low in memory, but "just in case"*Nerd 71887
  10. 10 on an oldies laptop. Good idea?

in Windows 10 Support
    10 on an oldies laptop. Good idea?: I've had to fix the mother in laws windows 7 laptop which was in a right state. I've installed the 10 technical preview and it runs sweet, found all drivers, easy peasy. No waiting forever to download updates.......boots faster etc. When it comes to windows 10...