Windows 10: Is it bad idea to disable apps from running in the background?

Discus and support Is it bad idea to disable apps from running in the background? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I reinstalled Windows and I am setting up background apps. I usually turn this off. But I noticed it in OOSU10 shut up - privacy tool. That you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by empleat, Feb 12, 2021.

1. empleat Win User

Is it bad idea to disable apps from running in the background?

Hello,

I reinstalled Windows and I am setting up background apps. I usually turn this off. But I noticed it in OOSU10 shut up - privacy tool. That you shouldn't turn this off. But there was no important reason to not do it. I know that, since some build: it is no longer recommended to uninstall store. Is it fine to disable store from running in the background? I could selectively disabled other apps from running in background. But I would rather turn this off completely!

Thanks!

:)

empleat, Feb 12, 2021

2. Apps running in Background

Hi JonBlann,

Windows 10 allows some apps to run in the background even if you never open it. This would let the applications to update itself or to get you notified with what's new with the app. However, this would consume most of your battery, bandwidth, and system
    resources.

You can refer to the steps below on how to disable apps from running in the background:

1. Go to Settings > Privacy > Background apps.
    2. Under Background apps, toggle off the Let apps run in the background switch to disable all apps that come from Microsoft Store. If you want to disable only a specific app, then you can toggle off the switch next to the
      app under Choose which app can run in the background.

Let us know how it goes and we'll assist you further if needed.

Monica Cam, Feb 12, 2021
  3. Jan Sijm Win User
    Unable to disable apps running in the background

Hi

I have installed the WIndows 10 upgrade and everything is fine, except for 1 little thing that is annoying me. There are a number of apps that are always running in the background. I have turned off any live tiles for these apps and I also disabled the background
    apps under the 'Privacy / Background apps' settings. But they still start automatically. It's about the following apps: Movies & TV, News, Photos, Weather and Xbox (some of them do not appear in the Privacy / Background apps' settings b.t.w.).

Any idea on how to disable these apps from starting in the background permanently?

Bye.

Jan Sijm, Feb 12, 2021
  4. Jomel Ber Win User

Apps only run as background pocesses

Hi Carmine,

To manage background apps in Windows 10, you can follow these steps:

• Go to Start menu and select Settings.
    • Click on Privacy on the Settings window.
    • Scroll down to the bottom of the list and select Background apps.
    • You’ll see a list of apps that have permission to run in the background with an
      On/Off toggle.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Jomel Ber, Feb 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Is it bad idea to disable apps from running in the background? - Similar Threads - bad idea disable

2. how can I disable app that is not installed from app store run in the background?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can I disable app that is not installed from app store run in the background?: these apps are taking too much resources, I don't want them runing in the background, but it seems like you can't disable them through background app setting, how can I do that? i also want them to run when I need them...
  3. how can I disable app that is not installed from app store run in the background?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can I disable app that is not installed from app store run in the background?: these apps are taking too much resources, I don't want them runing in the background, but it seems like you can't disable them through background app setting, how can I do that? i also want them to run when I need them...
  4. App running as background process

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App running as background process: Hello,I have been having an issue where I have an app that when opened, even when run as an administrator, runs as a background process and I am unable to actually use it. I have freshly re-installed the app numerous times and cleared out related files for fresh installs....
  5. Unknown app running in the background

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unknown app running in the background: So every time I start my pc I see the command prompt open for a split second before it closes again, but then I look at task manager at the startup tab, and see 2 programs called "program" and I cannot find the file's location or what it is. I don't know if this has to do...
  6. Disable Microsoft Edge from running in the background in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Disable Microsoft Edge from running in the background in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft Edge keeps running in the background. It, therefore, launches faster and is useful if you want to receive notifications. While Windows 10 keeps it in a suspended state, it still can consume some power and resource. In this post, [...] This post...
  7. Apps running in background .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Apps running in background .: I would like to stop the possibility of certain programs to run in the windows background. How can I do that? I stopped everything from Task Manager - Startup, but it did not work. Always when I open the computer or give it a restart, the same programs run in the...
  8. Apps Running in Background

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Apps Running in Background: Recently, I've had a lot of Windows apps running in the background- photos, calculator, and the store app, just to name a few- despite the fact that I have my computer set to not run apps in the background. Well, recently I found out that every time I turn on my computer, my...
  9. Apps running in Background

Apps running in Background: HI, I'm new to Windows 10 and need some advice. Is it safe to turn off background apps or do I need some running? What about 'mixed reality viewer,' I don't know what it is? I do use MS Edge but do I need it running all the time. ? I like to keep my Gmail, Microsoft, outlook,...
  10. Apps keep running in the background, even when disabled in "Privacy"

Apps keep running in the background, even when disabled in "Privacy": Some of my windows apps are running in the background even when i have disabled everyone of them in Privacy/Background Apps settings... They just start up randomly, at the same tame (as far as I know) I tried turning them on and off just to check if maybe it didn't save or...