Windows 10: Is it be possible to format a bitlocker enabled drive to a different cluster size without...

Discus and support Is it be possible to format a bitlocker enabled drive to a different cluster size without... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Is it be possible to format a bitlocker enabled drive to a different cluster size without redoing bitlocker? submitted by /u/user_982396 [link]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/user_982396, May 15, 2020.

1. Is it be possible to format a bitlocker enabled drive to a different cluster size without...

Is it be possible to format a bitlocker enabled drive to a different cluster size without redoing bitlocker?

submitted by /u/user_982396
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/user_982396, May 15, 2020
  2. Amit_Sun Win User

Change in folder size after enabling Bitlocker

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand you concern related to the size of the folder displayed. Try these steps to narrow down the issue:

1. Disable bitlocker
      and then check the folder size.
    2. We would also suggest you to open the folder and select all files and see the size of the contents.

Let us know if the size of the contents matches the folder size. If you see a difference, then the folder might be showing incorrect size.

Kindly reply us with the requested information to assist you better.

Awaiting for your response.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, May 15, 2020
  3. Windows Clustering with Bitlocker

Hi,

We are having a problem with Windows cluster with encrypted shared storage as follows:

At the beginning, all shared storage drives mounted in the Windows cluster and the failover between 2 cluster nodes were always successful. Later on, bitlocker encryption was added to the shared storage by the following methods.

1) install BitLocker feature in Windows Server on each cluster server

2) set "AES 256" in "Choose drive encryption method and cipher strength" in group policy ("Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > BitLocker Drive Encryption") on each cluster server

3) turn on maintenance mode on the clustered disk to be encrypted in failover cluster manager

4) disable shadow copies on the clustered disk if it is enabled

5) run powershell

6) type "manage-bde -on <drive:> -recoverypassword

7) type "manage-bde <drive:> -protectors -add -sid <clusternode$>

8) turn on shadow copies of the clustered disk if necessary

9) turn off maintenance mode of the clustered disk in failover cluster manager

The above method worked perfectly fine until today. The cluster failover(for maintenance reason) was unsuccessful and all shared disk failed in the cluster node. We had to unlock the shared drive by encryption key, removed them from the cluster and decrypt
    the drives before adding back to the cluster. We also could not perform the same method mentioned above for encryption in the cluster anymore. The clustered disk would go to fail state once we performed the same method above.

My question is:

How could we encrypt the shared storage in the cluster node again and prevent it from happening again?

WinWin Pro, May 15, 2020
  4. Is it be possible to format a bitlocker enabled drive to a different cluster size without...

Fresh Windows 10 install on RAID 0 drives with 64kb cluster size

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to perform a Clean W10 installation on my desktop.

However I'm using a RAID 0 drive structure and wanted to set a Stripe size of 128kb and an Cluster size of 64kb on the primary (SSD) drives.

I've searched a lot about the best way to perform a format with 64kb of cluster size on your primary Windows partition.

The best method I could find was using the DISKPART command in (elevated X: within the Windows 10 troubleshooter).

So I thought it was okay to assume that the RAID config is completely serparted from the partition config, and because of that I thought a format of the partition on my primary drive was never gonna affect my RAID config right?

• So firstly I deleted the previous RAID config (this also removes all partitions), set my bios to default settings and set the SATA boot mode to RAID, also enabled Intel Rapid Storage technology.
    • After that I went to the W10 help and troubleshooting and created a primary partition on the (one and only Disk 0, because the RAID was allready in place, Windows saw this as 1 Disk). "create partition primary"
    • I formatted that partition to have a 64kb cluster size like I wanted. "format fs=ntfs unit=64k"
    • But when I tried to install Windows on it, it kept failing, even though it's the only Disk in the list and I have even loaded the Intel F6 Raid Controller drivers on the Disk, but still got that error that the Disk could not be used to install.

I'm assuming that 2 things could cause my problem.

• Creating and formatting the partition messed up the RAID config.
    • Windows does simply not allow an installation on a non default cluster size like 64kb.

I would like to know what the problem is from a professional.

Thanks in advance!

maximdelaet, May 15, 2020
Thema:

Is it be possible to format a bitlocker enabled drive to a different cluster size without...

1. Is it be possible to format a bitlocker enabled drive to a different cluster size without... - Similar Threads - possible format bitlocker

2. Is it possible to recover data from bitlocker drive that was partially formatted by accident?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to recover data from bitlocker drive that was partially formatted by accident?: I have a use case where I accidentally started to format my Bitlocker encrypted drive 8TB Sata drive but around 1-2 seconds into the format I realized my mistake and immediately ctrl-c out of the format. Would it be possible for me to recover any of my data. I still have...
  3. Is it possible to recover data from bitlocker drive that was partially formatted by accident?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to recover data from bitlocker drive that was partially formatted by accident?: I have a use case where I accidentally started to format my Bitlocker encrypted drive 8TB Sata drive but around 1-2 seconds into the format I realized my mistake and immediately ctrl-c out of the format. Would it be possible for me to recover any of my data. I still have...
  4. Quick format a Bitlocked drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick format a Bitlocked drive: I have a couple of dozen 1TB drives that are Bitlocked and I wish to render them unreadable, but also reuse them later.I am wondering if a Quick Format would make the rest of the original encrypted material left on the disk indecipherable because of what Quick Format actually...
  5. Format a bitlocked drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Format a bitlocked drive: Hi Community, I have the following situation:I want to format a drive locked with bitlocker. I can boot the drive and use the laptop normally because I know the bitlocker key, but I dont remembrer neither the bitlocker recovery pass nor bios password, bios is blocking to boot...
  6. Enable Bitlocker Without TPM

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Enable Bitlocker Without TPM: Hello everyone, i need to enable BitLocker on all the computers all parittions inside the company using a script or command line without enabling TPM option and backup the recovery key to AD DS. is there a way to achieve that, i have searched a lot to do this with no...
  7. Possible to Bitlocker a drive without a recovery key?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Possible to Bitlocker a drive without a recovery key?: Is it possible to bitlocker-encrypt a drive and not have a recovery key? Or perhaps make it longer then 48digits? submitted by /u/user_982396 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ehqgup/possible_to_bitlocker_a_drive_without_a_recovery/
  8. difference in drive size

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    difference in drive size: windows explorer shows 67.1 Gb free for C: drive as below. [img] But dual boot mint shows as below [img] why such a difference? 118561
  9. Hard drive cluster size issues? Size on HDD over twice the actual size

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard drive cluster size issues? Size on HDD over twice the actual size: I went to SSDs on all of my computers some time back, but I still use WD RE4s and 2.5 inch WD Black HDDs for a variety of backup tasks and for storage in which the data will not be accessed for a period longer than is ideal to use a non-powered SSD for. On my Macs I am using...
  10. Different size of recovery drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Different size of recovery drive?: I'm active in SeniorNet. We have helped about 20 persons to upgrade to Windows 10. One peculiar thing we noticed is that different PC´s demand different size for the USB Recvery disk after the uppgrade. We had a range from 4GB to 32GB. A majority used 16GB....