Windows 10: Is it best to get a MoBo w/WiFi?

Discus and support Is it best to get a MoBo w/WiFi? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Or is it the same to add a WiFi adapter to one without? Thanks in advance guys DPC 169217 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by drpeppercan, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Is it best to get a MoBo w/WiFi?

Or is it the same to add a WiFi adapter to one without?

Thanks in advance guys

DPC

:)

drpeppercan, Nov 27, 2020
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

Is it best to get a MoBo w/WiFi?

If the motherboard WiFi needs upgraded, then just disable on the onboard WiFi adapter and plug in the upgraded USB WiFi adapter. But, if the motherboard WiFi is supplied by a WiFi card plugged into a mini-PCIe slot, then the installed card can be upgraded as well.

NavyLCDR, Nov 27, 2020
  3. pparks1 Win User

i wouldn't let Wifi be a determining factor on buying a MoBo. If the MoBo has the features you want and it also has the ability to do Wireless.....then why not? It gives you the option.

On an older machine in my house, I moved it to a room that doesn't have an easy method for running a network cable and I added a small USB wifi adapter for about $25 (from Asus) and it works just fine. I connect at 585Mbps which is fast enough for what I need it to do.

pparks1, Nov 27, 2020
  4. Try3 Win User

An additional consideration

If you get a MoBo to which you connect a WiFi/BT adapter then you will be better-placed to take advantage of faster WiFi standards as they are introduced.

I'd hazard the guess that you want your MoBo to last longer than a single generation of WiFi/BT adapters. I had to replace some WiFi adapters last year when my WirelessISP {'WISP'} signal changed to 5.8GHz [my previous 802.11ac adapters worked on "5GHz" which means "5.0GHz" and doesn't stretch to 5.8].
    - The definition of 802.11ac includes "5GHz", 5.0GHz & 5.8GHz so having an adapter categorised as 802.11ac is not the whole story. In other words, my 802.11ac adapters were not capable of detecting all possible 802.11ac signals.
    - The definition of 802.11x has been fixed so we know that further changes will come about once that standard is used by network providers.

Denis

Thema:

1. Is it best to get a MoBo w/WiFi? - Similar Threads - best MoBo WiFi

2. WiFi Driver Update w/o WiFi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WiFi Driver Update w/o WiFi: Hi,I am trying to update my WiFi driver without internet connection as I cannot access the internet and have no option for wifi. I have the MediaTek Wi-Fi 6E MT7922 160MHz Wireless LAN Card and I have been trying to update it. I went to advanced settings and found 3 driver...
  3. WiFi Driver Update w/o WiFi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WiFi Driver Update w/o WiFi: Hi,I am trying to update my WiFi driver without internet connection as I cannot access the internet and have no option for wifi. I have the MediaTek Wi-Fi 6E MT7922 160MHz Wireless LAN Card and I have been trying to update it. I went to advanced settings and found 3 driver...
  4. Best way to upgrade W 10 Home to Pro?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best way to upgrade W 10 Home to Pro?: Best way to upgrade W 10 Home to Pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/best-way-to-upgrade-w-10-home-to-pro/1312ad2b-d280-4f44-a4bd-b9f5cb8a2e41
  5. Is it best to get a MoBo w/WiFi?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it best to get a MoBo w/WiFi?: Or is it the same to add a WiFi adapter to one without? Thanks in advance guys DPC 169217
  6. "Random reboots" with a veteran Biostar A85S3 mobo w/Win10-X64...

in Windows 10 Support
    "Random reboots" with a veteran Biostar A85S3 mobo w/Win10-X64...: Dear TenForums users: here...over the late summer and continuing "right through today", my Biostar Hi-Fi A85S3 motherboarded, AMD A8-6600K-CPUed Win 10 X64, just updated to "version 20H2" within a week ago) desktop PC has developed an occasional, "whenever-it-wants-to" habit...
  7. 5ghz WiFi won’t connect after mobo change

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    5ghz WiFi won’t connect after mobo change: [IMG]So basically my wifi card (DW1525, 802.1.1) could connect to 5ghz wifi in my room upstairs. But after i put it into a different mobo, and put it back, it can no longer connect to 5ghz and has problems connecting to wifi after startup. I know for a fact that the card...
  8. Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro WiFi mobo video

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro WiFi mobo video: I just bought a Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro WiFi mobo, and combined it with a Ryzen 3 1200 CPU; 2X8GB Vengence DDR4 RAM; and a MSI Radeon HD 5450 Direct X 1 GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCIe 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video card. But what I get, after post, and the Windows logo, is a pixeled display...
  9. Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro WiFi mobo video

in Windows 10 Support
    Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro WiFi mobo video: I just bought a Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro WiFi mobo, and combined it with a Ryzen 3 1200 CPU; 2X8GB Vengence DDR4 RAM; and a MSI Radeon HD 5450 Direct X 1 GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCIe 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video card. But what I get, after post, and the Windows logo, is a pixeled display...
  10. Is this vcard compatible w/ my mobo? (newbie)

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Is this vcard compatible w/ my mobo? (newbie): [img] [img] please help. if this v card compatible w/ my mobo. the vcard is a gift from a friend. tnx p8h61mle i think. the v card, idk *Smile 75349