Windows 10: Is it better to do a DISK DEFRAG in safe mode?

Discus and support Is it better to do a DISK DEFRAG in safe mode? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Or does it matter? Which do you think would be the most effective or take the shortest time? 46903 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Fidel, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Fidel Win User

Is it better to do a DISK DEFRAG in safe mode?

Or does it matter? Which do you think would be the most effective or take the shortest time?

:)

Fidel, Apr 10, 2016

2. Windows 10 too slow installing!

I would recommend you check for your available free space before you upgrade (and make sure you empty your trash!).

Based on my upgrade experience and without seeing any published requirements,

1. I'd recommend at least 100GB of free space. The upgrade shouldn't require anywhere close to that, but the more empty space you have, the less your system will have to search for free space.

2. I'd recommend the disk be defragged before upgrading. In most Windows systems, you can view the disk's properties (typically by rt-clicking on the disk and selecting "properties") and then in a "tools" tab run the defrag tool. As long as you're doing
    this, you should probably run the disk error checking tool as well although it's unlikely to find any problems.

If you want to do a much better job of file defragging and free space consolidation, you can install a 3rd party tool called "MyDefrag" which is powerful and safe to use. It uses the same disk api as the Windows defrag tool to ensure safe operations.

A typical cause of a long-running operation that slows and grinds practically to a halt is lack of sufficient disk free space.

HTH.

Dorky Noob, Apr 10, 2016
  3. DDQM Win User
    How do I fix the Windows 10 system hard disk that is 21% fragmented? I have defragged it.

My system hard disk keeps getting more and more fragmented. I defrag it and it gets better. Then after a few days, it gets substantially worse. Right now if I analyze the drive, it shows 42% defragmented. If I defrag it, it goes down to 21%. How do
    I get it completely defragmented?

4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Fidel, *Smile

It really doesn't make any difference.

Brink, Apr 10, 2016
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    My opinion is that if you need to do a full defrag, it is better (i.e more chance of defragmenting every single file), and faster, to do it at boot time, rather than when Windows is running. If you search "boot time defrag" a range of popular utilities that will fit the bill will show up. My personal favourite, because I have used it for years without any problems is Puran Defrag, which can also defrag selected single files on demand, and is free.

Fafhrd, Apr 10, 2016
  6. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Another vote for Puran Defrag, but be prepared to uncheck some checkboxes at installation. It will try to install some adware.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 10, 2016
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    Good point eLPuSHeR! Same goes for most software from the net including Adobe and Oracle...

Fafhrd, Apr 10, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Unless hdd is really full, defragging is hardly needed to be done these days. By default, W10 defrags weekly in background.

cereberus, Apr 10, 2016
  9. Safe mode won't make a real difference. Defragging while not booted into the OS though might - the mentioned programs int his thread can do a pre-OS defrag.

In the end though, defrag isn't as needed anymore. As also said in the thread, Windows will defrag automatically every week, plus every big file will be defragged the moment it gets saved or moved around (thanks Apple Is it better to do a DISK DEFRAG in safe mode? :p).

Salad Fingers, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Is it better to do a DISK DEFRAG in safe mode? - Similar Threads - better DISK DEFRAG

2. disk cleanup in safe mode

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk cleanup in safe mode: Is it safe to run disk cleanup in safe mode?I have read on this community about someone who deleted system files with disk cleanup in safe mode and who had problems with some devices in his laptop.I ask it because the cleanup of my temp files does not succeed nothing removed...
  3. disk cleanup in safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disk cleanup in safe mode: Is it safe to run disk cleanup in safe mode?I have read on this community about someone who deleted system files with disk cleanup in safe mode and who had problems with some devices in his laptop.I ask it because the cleanup of my temp files does not succeed nothing removed...
  4. disk cleanup in safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Disk Defrag Parameters.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Defrag Parameters.: Good evening, Code: C:\Windows\system32>defrag.exe /? Microsoft Drive Optimizer Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. Description: Optimizes and defragments files on local volumes to improve system performance. Syntax: defrag <volumes> | /C | /E <volumes> [<task(s)>] [/H] [/M [n] |...
  6. Disk and defrag problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk and defrag problem: My hard disk response time and usage so high i tried cmd like scannow even did reset whole pc windows again but didnt fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-and-defrag-problem/82db8693-2e98-46cb-9aa6-5d347f4e65dc
  7. Help with disk defrag

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with disk defrag: Hello! Having issues with very slow, very loud, very hot Dell laptop. Tried to disk defrag multiple times, restarted multiple times, every time it just keeps saying Hard disk is 28% fragmented. Any thoughts? I'm just trying to run Mtg Arena, which from my understanding is not...
  8. defrag disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    defrag disk: How do I run the disk defrag program? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defrag-disk/b78f7054-39ca-4eae-824e-6be83cdfd2c4
  9. Is it better to perform Windows Updates in Safe Mode?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it better to perform Windows Updates in Safe Mode?: Windows Update is currently doing an update but it's really, really slow. In Task Manager Disk is constantly around 100%. I have 3 questions: (1) I was wondering if it's better to perform Windows Updates in Safe Mode with Network? (2) Would it not be faster? (3) I...
  10. Defrag Disk Not Available

in Windows 10 Customization
    Defrag Disk Not Available: Hello all, I need some quick and urgent help about this application. I keep getting the following error when I try to start up my Defrag Disk app: [ATTACH] I don't understand why this happened, so I went did the following: 1) Windows + R 2) Typed services.msc 3) Hit...