Windows 10: Is it common not to have separate partition for system ?

Discus and support Is it common not to have separate partition for system ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was looking into a friends Toshiba laptop because he wants to replace his HDD with SSD . I noticed that he does not have a separate partition for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sportflyer, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Is it common not to have separate partition for system ?

I was looking into a friends Toshiba laptop because he wants to replace his HDD with SSD . I noticed that he does not have a separate partition for System . Is this common ?

Is it common not to have separate partition for system ? [​IMG]

Also he has a lot of unused partitions in front and after the C drive.

How best to clone copy the C drive to ssd? Tks

:)

sportflyer, Oct 13, 2018
  2. BulldogXX Win User

If I reset my laptop will I lose files that are stored in a partition separate from the partition Windows is installed in?

If you format only the C partition, no other partition is affected. If you format the entire hard drive then every partition on the drive is affected.

There's really no need to format your system partition as a separate step if you want to go back to Windows 8. If you're doing a clean install or a factory restore, the system partition is formatted at the beginning of the process.

I'd like to suggest you consider keeping your data files in a separate partition, like the one you setup. There's a great advantage to doing this, as you have found: If you need to restore your software, your data isn't touched.

All that said, backing up is always a good idea. You should be doing it every day.

BulldogXX, Oct 13, 2018
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Oct 13, 2018
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Is it common not to have separate partition for system ?

Cannot resize the system reserved partition

Hi,

A partition is a logical division of a hard disk that is treated as a separate unit by operating systems and file systems. A
    partition is usually protected and locked by the Windows operating systems to prevent and avoid accidental deletion. To better assist you we'd like to gather more information:

• Are you using a 3rd party tool partition?
    • Are you able to move a partition before?
    • Does this happen to other partition or to a particular one only?

We're looking forward to your response.

Rose Cal, Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

Is it common not to have separate partition for system ?

1. Is it common not to have separate partition for system ? - Similar Threads - common separate partition

2. How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?: Hi, I was following a YouTube guide on moving everything to a new SSD everything being basically just windows and I ran into a problem. I was using MiniTool partition wizard, the tool restarted the PC but about 4 hours later I still had a black screen with white writing...
  3. How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?: Hi, I was following a YouTube guide on moving everything to a new SSD everything being basically just windows and I ran into a problem. I was using MiniTool partition wizard, the tool restarted the PC but about 4 hours later I still had a black screen with white writing...
  4. How to fix system and boot partitions on separate drives?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives: Attempting to upgrade windows 10 to windows 11. When converting c driveoperating system/boot/system drive from MBR to GPT I discovered that my boot partition and system partition are on separate drives, so I cannot convert. To fix this I am installing a new primary boot drive...
  6. Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives: Attempting to upgrade windows 10 to windows 11. When converting c driveoperating system/boot/system drive from MBR to GPT I discovered that my boot partition and system partition are on separate drives, so I cannot convert. To fix this I am installing a new primary boot drive...
  7. Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. System Partition & C Drive (Merged vs separate). Need Suggestion.

System Partition & C Drive (Merged vs separate). Need Suggestion.: Windows by default make system partition separately. but now i'm using winntsetup to install os which gives me option to put c and system partition together. i want to know if i merge both partition in one then will it create any problem in future with any windows function?...
  9. Data on separate partition or drive?

Data on separate partition or drive?: Wondering how Windows 10 deals with putting data on a separate partition or drive. Does it use the same general method as in Windows 7, where it re-maps (for example) "Documents" to a folder on a different letter drive path? So that C:\Users\{user}\Documents becomes...
  10. Image / History on separate partitions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Image / History on separate partitions?: I want to create two separate partitions on a portable usb drive. On one partition, I'd like to create a system image using the windows image-creating capability. On the other partition, I would like to use the windows history capability to maintain a continuously updated...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i want to have a seperate partition for operating system