Windows 10: Is it easy to extract files from a Windows 10 backup?

Discus and support Is it easy to extract files from a Windows 10 backup? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm using a Windows 10 backup onto an exFAT formatted disk. Sometime in the future I may want to transfer my files to a Mac. Is it easy to extract the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ShadowLad, Nov 13, 2020.

1. ShadowLad Win User

Is it easy to extract files from a Windows 10 backup?

I'm using a Windows 10 backup onto an exFAT formatted disk. Sometime in the future I may want to transfer my files to a Mac. Is it easy to extract the files out of the backup directories that Windows creates, or would I just have to make a regular copy of my files when the time comes (using some more storage/another storage device) ?

:)

ShadowLad, Nov 13, 2020
  2. pyramid10 Win User

Extracting Zip Files

Are the step-by-step processes identical? That is, the folder extracted from and the folder extracted to belong to the same hierarchical file system structure. If they are, that suggests mildly the Cumulative Update left an electron or two out of place.

pyramid10, Nov 13, 2020
  3. Restoring a Windows Easy Transfer .mig file to Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

Restoring a .MIG file using Windows Easy Transfer won’t work from an x64 to an x86 Operating system.

Download USMT4 MigRecover Utility
    here
    and follow the below steps:

• Download the MigRecover Utility for USMT4 from one of the links above
    • Extract the downloaded archive to a desired location
    • Start by renaming the .MIG file to SaveData.MIG
    • Create a destination folder for the extracted “raw” files
    • Open an elevated command prompt (right-click – Run as Administrator)
    • Browse to the desired folder location containing “MigRecover.exe”
    • Type the following command: MigRecover.exe [.MIG file location] [Destination folder].

As Easy Transfer is not available in Windows 10, I suggest you to try recovering your files from Windows.old folder. As upgrading from Windows create a Windows.old folder in the drive where operating system resides.

I suggest you to refer to the below given Windows article and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/windows-easy-transfer-is-not-available-in-windows-10

Refer to the suggestions provided by Andre Da Costa June 19, 2015 in the following link:

How to manually backup and restore your files

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Thank you.

Deepak..Raghav, Nov 13, 2020
  4. Is it easy to extract files from a Windows 10 backup?

Extracting Zip Files

Thanks pyramid10 for your contribution, I ensured that the steps taken and the source and destination folders were the same, in the using zip7 as suggested by BunnyJ resolved all issues for me.
    I am the first to admit that I am a long long way from understanding the intricacies of computers and if truth be told I am now to old anyway to absorb much information.
    Cheers.

croydonian, Nov 13, 2020
Thema:

Is it easy to extract files from a Windows 10 backup?

1. Is it easy to extract files from a Windows 10 backup? - Similar Threads - easy extract files

2. Easy, free backup strategies for files and Windows 2023

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Easy, free backup strategies for files and Windows 2023: Here are easy, free backup methods so you never lose files or Windows if it becomes irreparable.1 The safest and most reliable backup method is to sort your files into their User Folders Documents, Desktop, Pictures, Downloads, etc and periodically drag or copy them to...
  3. Easy, free backup strategies for files and Windows 2023

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Easy, free backup strategies for files and Windows 2023: Here are easy, free backup methods so you never lose files or Windows if it becomes irreparable.1 The safest and most reliable backup method is to sort your files into their User Folders Documents, Desktop, Pictures, Downloads, etc and periodically drag or copy them to...
  4. Easy, free backup strategies for files and Windows 2023

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Extracting files from a BIN file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extracting files from a BIN file: I am using a USB thumb drive to update a Samsung soundbar. The Samsung download is a zip file. I have to extract that and copy to the thumb drive. I can extract the zip file which becomes a BIN file. That is still a compressed file and the soundbar won't read that. How do I...
  6. Easy Guide: How to Browse the Contents of a File History Backup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Easy Guide: How to Browse the Contents of a File History Backup in Windows 10: This article shows you how to open and view the contents of a File History Backup in Windows 10. If you only want to access a few files in your backup, the following instructions let you do it. Easy Guides are intended to make it easy for users to follow instructions...
  7. Extract Icon from File in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Extract Icon from File in Windows: How to: Extract Icon from File in Windows How to Extract Icon from File in Windows You can use the free IconViewer utility program to view and save the icons contained within files, such as executable files and dynamic link libraries (DLLs). When IconViewer is...
  8. How do i extract wim files from an image backup of windows 10 ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do i extract wim files from an image backup of windows 10 ?: IF I have a backup image of all my files from Windows 10 on a DVD disk backup, and I wish to extract (using 7-zip) those files to original FOLDER destinations, but I have already re-installed a clean install of Windows 10 program, how do I extract the files from Office 10...
  9. Extract Restore Point from a System Image Backup

Extract Restore Point from a System Image Backup: Hi, I'm on Win 10 Pro. I recently made a system image backup to a NETWORK drive using the powershell command admin start backup -backuptarget:\\pc\a\tsb-image-file -include:C: -exclude:c:\users\3\box*,c:\users\3\onedrive,c:\users\3\music -allCritical -vsscopy...
  10. Extract Office 2013 key from backup

Extract Office 2013 key from backup: After doing a clean install of Windows 10 on my PC I just realized I forgot to find out what my Product Key for Office 2013 Professional Plus is. I do have a Backup though (Disk Image I made using the old standard Windows backup method). Is there any way to find out what my...