Windows 10: Is it hardware or software problem that's causing a glitch with Win 10

Discus and support Is it hardware or software problem that's causing a glitch with Win 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I upgraded my desktop PC from 8.1 to 10 last week. No problems with startup and all programs appear to run fine. I have however, noticed a few desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CivilGuy, Aug 10, 2015.

1. CivilGuy Win User

Is it hardware or software problem that's causing a glitch with Win 10

I upgraded my desktop PC from 8.1 to 10 last week. No problems with startup and all programs appear to run fine.
    I have however, noticed a few desktop and taskbar glitches which I'm not sure is a hardware or software related graphics issue. These are 3 examples of what I've noticed.

1) If I use my mouse and try to drag a desktop icon from A to B (say), the icon always snaps back to point A. A few seconds later it does move to point B.
    2) If I click on the ^ "show hidden icons" in the task bar, a transparent window opens but no icons appear.
    If I click my mouse button repeatedly within the window, the icons eventually populate. If I click on one of these icons, there's a delay again and the program or task it opens is usually quite "laggy".
    3) If I click my mouse on the "File Explorer" icon pinned to my task bar, a blank window initially appears on the desktop. Again, after a few more mouse clicks and a couple of seconds later, the contents of my file structure appears in the window.

Here's how I correct the problem. With my mouse, I right click on the desktop. This opens a menu from which I select: graphics > options > resolution. Under resolution, I change the native resolution of my monitor from 1920x1080 to 1680 x1080.
    After the monitor resets to the new resolution, I repeat the process and go back to my original (native) resolution. Doing this clears all my desktop and taskbar glitches. Unfortunately, whatever happens when I do this has to be repeated each time I boot up the computer.

This is a new computer build for my grandson and I don't want to give him a buggy machine. I also promised the machine for this weekend. I've done the usual checks and all my drivers are up to date. MB is an ASUS Z97-Pro and I'm using the on-board Intel graphics (4600 GPU) with an ASUS VH242H monitor. CPU is an Intel i7-4790k.
    Question now is, is there a better, more permanent fix or do I roll back to win 8.1 and wait another 6 months? Appreciate any thoughts.

:)

CivilGuy, Aug 10, 2015
  2. CJLim Win User

Message Bug?

Depends on the cause of the problem. If it is indeed a problem with the memory card then only way is to replace it. If the problem i caused by a software glitch in the phone then you could try more resets. If it is a hardware problem with the phone then
    you need to send it to the Nokia Care Point.

CJLim, Aug 10, 2015
  3. Video and Audio glitching badley since Win 10 install

Ever since I installed win 10. Video and audio playback has been glitching badly. I went to the HP site and they say that there are no updated drivers for my machine in win 10. Win update says I have all the current drivers for my hardware. Your software
    said my machine was compatible with win 10 before I installed it and now that I am past the 30 days I can't put win 7 back on.

chefdavidlewis, Aug 10, 2015
  4. CivilGuy Win User

Monitor is about 7 years old, gently used and I never had any problems under win 8.1. I'm using DVI connection. Would that make any difference under win 10?

CivilGuy, Aug 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Is it hardware or software problem that's causing a glitch with Win 10 - Similar Threads - hardware software problem

2. Finding for Hardware and Software Problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Finding for Hardware and Software Problems: Hi! I want to find and check whether are there any issues in my windows 10 PC's hardware and software. What is the best and the most appropriate way to do this and give out the 100% correct problems in my hardware and software......
  3. Finding for Hardware and Software Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Finding for Hardware and Software Problems: Hi! I want to find and check whether are there any issues in my windows 10 PC's hardware and software. What is the best and the most appropriate way to do this and give out the 100% correct problems in my hardware and software......
  4. Finding for Hardware and Software Problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Is the laptop screen glitch caused by the software or the hardware?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is the laptop screen glitch caused by the software or the hardware?: I've been having this issue recently where my laptop screen has been glitching out. The glitch makes the screen have that interlaced or jagged effect, making the text unreadable. When zooming into a video, it causes the glitch to escalate. The taskbar flickers, the screen...
  6. Is the laptop screen glitch caused by the software or the hardware?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is the laptop screen glitch caused by the software or the hardware?: I've been having this issue recently where my laptop screen has been glitching out. The glitch makes the screen have that interlaced or jagged effect, making the text unreadable. When zooming into a video, it causes the glitch to escalate. The taskbar flickers, the screen...
  7. Is the laptop screen glitch caused by the software or the hardware?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Windows 10 Software/Hardware Problems

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Software/Hardware Problems: Hello I had a problem where the PC just randomly "deleted" (well, idk how to phrase it) everything besides apps. I solved this issue using this https://appuals.com/temporary-profile-issues-in-windows-10/ (Solution 2) However, some problems persist, such as whenever I...
  9. Multiple hardware/software problems

Multiple hardware/software problems: I'm having multiple hardware a software problems now including: One of my 3.0 drives disconnecting and reconnecting. Morse beeps and different volumes. Sudden lag spikes. Broken copy and pasting. Overheating problems My computer charger and battery has recently been...
  10. Unsure if it is software or hardware problem...

Unsure if it is software or hardware problem...: When starting my laptop the screen goes black before it finishes loading, unless I unplug the power source, then it comes back on. Plug it in and it goes out, unplug and it comes back on. Is this a software problem or a hardware problem? It is an older Lenovo laptop, probably...