Windows 10: Is it important to partition my hard drive C into 2, C and D in order to protect my data...

Discus and support Is it important to partition my hard drive C into 2, C and D in order to protect my data... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a C drive, a Local Fixed Disk, NTFS file system with a size of 474 GB. I am wondering if I should partition it into C and D for extra data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Duy Do S3911640, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Is it important to partition my hard drive C into 2, C and D in order to protect my data...

I have a C drive, a Local Fixed Disk, NTFS file system with a size of 474 GB. I am wondering if I should partition it into C and D for extra data security or not.

:)

Duy Do S3911640, Oct 25, 2021

2. No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, Oct 25, 2021
  3. McMalcolm Win User
    Partitioned drives C vs D

Hi I bought a new Windows 10 notebook. I did not realize that the data storage was partitioned. I have 119 GB of storage on C: ("Windows") and 930 GB on D: ("data drive").

My files do not all fit on C:. I assume the data on the D drive loses some functionality, but I don't know what exactly. D lacks the nifty folder categories that are set up on C (i.e. my documents"). (Of course the system and apps take up almost 50 GB
    on my C drive.)

Which is most important to keep on the C drive: MS Office & Outlook files (13 GB), photos & videos (80 GB), or music (21 GB)?

The photos are the monster file size, so pretty sure they need to go on D.

thanks.

McMalcolm, Oct 25, 2021
  4. Is it important to partition my hard drive C into 2, C and D in order to protect my data...

Resize partition C

In order to extend C and recover space from D, you will need to delete the 866 MB Healthy Recovery Partition and the Storage D:\ partitions.

There appears to be data on the D:\ partition.

I recommend you backup any important data on that partition before deleting it. After deleting the partitions, you will be able to extend C:\

Steps:

Right click the ‘Healthy (Recovery Paritition) and the
    Storage (DIs it important to partition my hard drive C into 2, C and D in order to protect my data... :)
    partitions in Disk Management, on the contextual menu, click the ‘Delete Volume’ option. Click ‘Yes’ when the warning dialog appears.

The Volume you deleted will now appear as ‘Free space’, you will also notice that the disk icon no longer appears in the list of volumes.

Right click the Free space partition, and click Delete, click Yes on the Disk Management warning that appears.

The volume will now appear as Unallocated. Our next step is to merge back that unallocated free space with the system partition
    (CIs it important to partition my hard drive C into 2, C and D in order to protect my data... :). Right click the System volume then click the ‘Extend Volume’ option on the contextual menu, click ‘Yes’ when the warning appears.

A wizard will now begin that will guide through the steps to merge back the unallocated space with your system partition.

The wizard provides a simple procedure to merge back the unallocated space with the system drive. Once you have selected the space, click Next, at the end of the wizard, you will see the amount allocated.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 25, 2021
Thema:

Is it important to partition my hard drive C into 2, C and D in order to protect my data...

1. Is it important to partition my hard drive C into 2, C and D in order to protect my data... - Similar Threads - important partition hard

2. Not able to extend my c drive as there is a healthy partition between my c drive and d drive ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not able to extend my c drive as there is a healthy partition between my c drive and d drive ?: i want to extend my c drive by fomatting my d drive but there is a healthy partition between my C and D drive , so what am i supposed to do ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-extend-my-c-drive-as-there-is-a/68423c4d-bb72-4ab4-875a-45cdb680f744
  3. Not able to extend my c drive as there is a healthy partition between my c drive and d drive ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to extend my c drive as there is a healthy partition between my c drive and d drive ?: i want to extend my c drive by fomatting my d drive but there is a healthy partition between my C and D drive , so what am i supposed to do ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-extend-my-c-drive-as-there-is-a/68423c4d-bb72-4ab4-875a-45cdb680f744
  4. Is it important to partition my hard drive C into 2, C and D in order to protect my data...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it important to partition my hard drive C into 2, C and D in order to protect my data...: I have a C drive, a Local Fixed Disk, NTFS file system with a size of 474 GB. I am wondering if I should partition it into C and D for extra data security or not....
  5. Is it important to partition my hard drive C into 2, C and D in order to protect my data...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it important to partition my hard drive C into 2, C and D in order to protect my data...: I have a C drive, a Local Fixed Disk, NTFS file system with a size of 474 GB. I am wondering if I should partition it into C and D for extra data security or not....
  6. Importing D Drive into C Drive -- Disk Management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Importing D Drive into C Drive -- Disk Management: Greetings Folks, Dang I tried to answer this without bothering you. Watched a bunch of YouTube vids but no one had my situation. [img] This PC shipped with a D drive partition on the C drive. I turned it into unallocated space but when I right click my C to import that...
  7. I deleted D drive in order to extend c drive but c drive will not extend

I deleted D drive in order to extend c drive but c drive will not extend: So I have 237gb of storage on my C drive and it is nearly full, my D drive has 931gb of storage and is completely empty. in an attempt to solve this problem I went online looking at different forums and articles and many recommended that I delete D drive so i can extend C...
  8. Partitioned drives C vs D

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Partitioned drives C vs D: Hi I bought a new Windows 10 notebook. I did not realize that the data storage was partitioned. I have 119 GB on C: "Windows" and 930 GB on D: "data drive". My files do not all fit on C:. I assume the data on the D drive loses some functionality, but I don't know what...
  9. Combining C: and D: drive partitions

Combining C: and D: drive partitions: A couple weeks ago my PC had some problems and i had to send it somewhere to fix it, now when it came back, it has two partitions, and the problem is, D: has way more memory than C: (more precisely, D: has around 850 GB and C: has 150 GB) and I really wanted to combine them...
  10. Wish to change drive order - Drive 1 is currently D: and Drive 2 is C:

Wish to change drive order - Drive 1 is currently D: and Drive 2 is C:: I'm currently configuring a new PC with Windows 10 Pro - it has two identical 2TB hard drives. Somehow (and don't ask me how) the drive order has become mixed up and volume C: is on drive 2 while volume D: is on drive 1. The boot drive must be drive 2 given that volume C: is...