Windows 10: Is it just me? being forced to use the default apps and antivirus

Discus and support Is it just me? being forced to use the default apps and antivirus in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10 home x86 upgrade from Win 7 1806 Switched it off yesterday and today my windows apps have gone missing, my AVG firewall is not operating... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Paul_Paros, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Is it just me? being forced to use the default apps and antivirus

Windows 10 home x86 upgrade from Win 7

Switched it off yesterday and today my windows apps have gone missing, my AVG firewall is not operating and the store will not allow me to re-install missing apps, they download and then look like they roll back and fail.

As before I removed my Antivirus, after scanning my system for possible problems, thankfully clean.

Removed my alternative default software.

Set about re-registering my apps via the admin powershell

Checking the services and uac

A quick reboot and all was ok, after re-installing the store again and turning off windows firewall defender, in favor of avg.

The default programs were back in place and everything looks and works fine.............

------------------

But as soon as these are changed! the problems start cropping up again, starting to feel as though this is a conspiracy would love to hear peoples thoughts on this, or a possible solution.

:)

Paul_Paros, Nov 26, 2018
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Is it just me? being forced to use the default apps and antivirus :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Nov 26, 2018
  3. How to set Microsoft Photos App as default

Hello,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System.
    • In the left pane, click on Default Apps.
    • In the right pane, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    • Set the default App to open .jpg files and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Nov 26, 2018
  4. Is it just me? being forced to use the default apps and antivirus

Default apps are not working in Windows 10

Hi,

As you are facing issues with accessing the default apps on your computer, let us try the troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing the default apps for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 26, 2018
Thema:

Is it just me? being forced to use the default apps and antivirus

1. Is it just me? being forced to use the default apps and antivirus - Similar Threads - being forced default

2. Default antivirus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default antivirus?: I have a Dell Vostro laptop with Windows 11 Pro.Does that include a default anti-virus software?Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-antivirus/f0c4fb38-b590-4678-a3db-e3cf53e1b4e6
  3. Default antivirus?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default antivirus?: I have a Dell Vostro laptop with Windows 11 Pro.Does that include a default anti-virus software?Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-antivirus/f0c4fb38-b590-4678-a3db-e3cf53e1b4e6
  4. Is it just me or is Store being buggy lately?

Is it just me or is Store being buggy lately?: I am not sure if it's just me but lately it seems like it has some issues. In this case I usually got error code 0x000001F7. Previously I had also received same error code but with the last number being 8. I've read that it indicates something about third party blocking...
  5. Force word to use default printer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Force word to use default printer: Hi Community, I have had this problem since switching to Windows 10 years ago, and still cant figure this out and causes a great deal of frustration and wasted labels. One of my job functions is to print product labels to be adhered to containers. This is done on plain paper...
  6. Is MS forcing me to use Edge?

in Browsers and Email
    Is MS forcing me to use Edge?: Well that may sound like a bit of paranoia.... I've been using Firefox for many years with very few problems. A few months back some regular websites I use didn't work properly but using Chrome on them got me going. So I thought rather than Chrome I'll try Brave for the few...
  7. damned auto-update being forced on me

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    damned auto-update being forced on me: For the past 3 days when I shut my computer down for the night, it does a restart and update (different update every time). How do I turn these damned updates OFF. I spend all my time dealing with updates, I don't get anything done! If I get a new computer, guess what OS I...
  8. Google SafeSearch - I'm being forced to use it!

in Browsers and Email
    Google SafeSearch - I'm being forced to use it!: It seems like every time I reinstall Win10 there's some fresh hell to contend with at the end of the process. This time it's Google via Firefox. Although I change the settings and a popup tells me those changes have been saved, they haven't been - I still end up with...
  9. Default apps being reset by Windows

Default apps being reset by Windows: Has anyone else experienced default apps in windows 10 being automatically reset? It seems to dislike VLC and Irfanview and resets defaults to Microsoft apps. 41116
  10. Ram being used up by "nothing" and force closing apps

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Ram being used up by "nothing" and force closing apps: Help! My computer is not what it should be. I have 8gb ram, but it is being used somewhere I cannot find. Task manager and resource monitor show very high usage (80s and up), but the programs listed are using almost no ram. I have an example in the pictures below. After...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. forced to use app

2. forced to use windows app