Windows 10: Is it just me? x64 Edge installs into C:\Program Files (x86) folder?

Discus and support Is it just me? x64 Edge installs into C:\Program Files (x86) folder? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Is this normal? submitted by /u/Im_Special [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Im_Special, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Is it just me? x64 Edge installs into C:\Program Files (x86) folder?

/u/Im_Special, Jan 16, 2020

2. x86 and x64 programs and installations

I understand that from a general point of view x86 and x64 programs don't matter that much since my Windows 10 Pro is x64 and backward compatible and all that stuff, but I've noticed that so far all applications I've been installing have a default directory
    of Program Files (x86), I'm mostly downloading gaming-related apps like launchers, games, and hardware monitoring software. Are they all being downloaded to the x86 Program Files by default because

A) They are all actually non-x64 programs and windows is automatically deciding the install directory each program should go to,

B) because their installers specify that directory as the program's default,

or C) I've accidentally set ALL programs to have a default install directory in x86 despite some being x64 programs somehow or that Windows has that setting turned on by default (to automatically throw in ALL files into the x86)?

Thank you so much, and further explanation/elaboration is always welcome, I'd be glad to learn a few things

Hanna Abu Judom, Jan 16, 2020
  3. Hoggorm Win User
    Are the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders important?

Hi,

I was wondering how important the two mentioned folders are when installing a software. I know most programs suggest being installed to one of them, but it is really necessary? What happens if I choose another folder?

I use the game client Steam for example. It wants to go into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam

Does it matter if I place it in C:\Another Folder\Steam?

Are there any programs that MUST be installed in either Program Files or Program Files (x86) to work properly?

On my desktop computer I have one SSD disk (C) and one regular hard disk (D). Here I have always installed software to D:\Program Files and never seen any issues with that (note that this Program Files folder was made by me and not by Windows. Those folders are located on the C drive but never used by me).

The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to sync a few folders from a software located in \Program Files\ using Synology Cloud Station. For some reason it does not have access to the Program Files folders on the C drive (but it can access the one on D drive).

Hoggorm, Jan 16, 2020
  4. Is it just me? x64 Edge installs into C:\Program Files (x86) folder?

microsoft visual c++ 2005 x86 won't install

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

I would suggest you to check if Microsoft visual c++ 2005 x86 is installed in your computer.

To check follow the steps:

• Type Default programs & select programs & features.
    • Check if Microsoft visual c++ 2005 x86
      is installed.
    If yes suggest you to uninstall & reinstall Microsoft visual c++ 2005 x86
    & check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists I would suggest you to contact the game manufacturer.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

Is it just me? x64 Edge installs into C:\Program Files (x86) folder?

1. Is it just me? x64 Edge installs into C:\Program Files (x86) folder? - Similar Threads - x64 Edge installs

2. C:\Program Files x86

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C:\Program Files x86: Hello, This is my problem see pcturewhen i try to delete roblox and other apps there it pops up like this can someone help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cprogram-files-x86/12436514-0218-4259-824b-88fdb9b49fe3
  3. C:\Program Files x86

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C:\Program Files x86: Hello, This is my problem see pcturewhen i try to delete roblox and other apps there it pops up like this can someone help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cprogram-files-x86/12436514-0218-4259-824b-88fdb9b49fe3
  4. Files not seen in Program Files x86 folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files not seen in Program Files x86 folder: I have installed an application in Windows 10, used for translations. I am able to create txt files in that and those get saved in Program Files x86 folder of that application. But when I go to that folder in Windows Explorer, I am not seeing anything there and hence I am not...
  5. Where "Program Files x86" Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where "Program Files x86" Folder: I am using Win 10 home 64 bit version. I installed chess-7 program at http://www.styleseven.com/php/get_product.php?product=Chess-7 This program is 32 bit. The program has been installed in the folder c: \ Program files 86x \ chess-7. The * .png files that I run the program...
  6. Unprotected \program files x86 folder?

Unprotected \program files x86 folder?: I recall back with an earlier version of Windows, and I can't recall if it was XP, Vista, or 7, that I could not make it so that a folder for a game in \program files if it was XP or \program files x86 was unprotected from standard/limited users saving files in it for saved...
  7. C:\ Program File x86 is not accessible.

C:\ Program File x86 is not accessible.: [ATTACH] I have just notice this after my laptop was reformat. Please help I cant install MS Word because of this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-program-file-x86-is-not-accessible/a5c6d09b-9db9-4748-b8c9-89d38fabd787
  8. "Fake Product" program folder found in c:\Program Files (x86)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Fake Product" program folder found in c:\Program Files (x86): Hi. I am trying to find out what this "Fake Product" program folder found in c:\Program Files (x86) is, and if I can safely delete it? There is no such program listed in the uninstall feature of Windows. I've never noticed it there before, and, try as I might, I can't find a...
  9. "Fake Product" program folder found in c:\Program Files (x86)

in Windows 10 Support
    "Fake Product" program folder found in c:\Program Files (x86): Hi. I am trying to find out what this "Fake Product" program folder found in c:\Program Files (x86) is, and if I can safely delete it? There is no such program listed in the uninstall feature of Windows. I've never noticed it there before, and, try as I might, I can't find a...
  10. Are the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders important?

in Windows 10 Support
    Are the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders important?: Hi, I was wondering how important the two mentioned folders are when installing a software. I know most programs suggest being installed to one of them, but it is really necessary? What happens if I choose another folder? I use the game client Steam for example. It...