Windows 10: Is it just me? x64 Edge installs into C:\Program Files (x86) folder?

Discus and support Is it just me? x64 Edge installs into C:\Program Files (x86) folder? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Is this normal? submitted by /u/Im_Special [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Im_Special, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Is it just me? x64 Edge installs into C:\Program Files (x86) folder?

/u/Im_Special, Jan 16, 2020

2. x86 and x64 programs and installations

I understand that from a general point of view x86 and x64 programs don't matter that much since my Windows 10 Pro is x64 and backward compatible and all that stuff, but I've noticed that so far all applications I've been installing have a default directory
    of Program Files (x86), I'm mostly downloading gaming-related apps like launchers, games, and hardware monitoring software. Are they all being downloaded to the x86 Program Files by default because

A) They are all actually non-x64 programs and windows is automatically deciding the install directory each program should go to,

B) because their installers specify that directory as the program's default,

or C) I've accidentally set ALL programs to have a default install directory in x86 despite some being x64 programs somehow or that Windows has that setting turned on by default (to automatically throw in ALL files into the x86)?

Thank you so much, and further explanation/elaboration is always welcome, I'd be glad to learn a few things

Hanna Abu Judom, Jan 16, 2020
  3. Hoggorm Win User
    Are the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders important?

Hi,

I was wondering how important the two mentioned folders are when installing a software. I know most programs suggest being installed to one of them, but it is really necessary? What happens if I choose another folder?

I use the game client Steam for example. It wants to go into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam

Does it matter if I place it in C:\Another Folder\Steam?

Are there any programs that MUST be installed in either Program Files or Program Files (x86) to work properly?

On my desktop computer I have one SSD disk (C) and one regular hard disk (D). Here I have always installed software to D:\Program Files and never seen any issues with that (note that this Program Files folder was made by me and not by Windows. Those folders are located on the C drive but never used by me).

The reason I'm asking is because I'd like to sync a few folders from a software located in \Program Files\ using Synology Cloud Station. For some reason it does not have access to the Program Files folders on the C drive (but it can access the one on D drive).

Hoggorm, Jan 16, 2020
  4. Is it just me? x64 Edge installs into C:\Program Files (x86) folder?

microsoft visual c++ 2005 x86 won't install

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We would be glad to help you with the issue you are facing today. I understand the difficulty with the problem.

I would suggest you to check if Microsoft visual c++ 2005 x86 is installed in your computer.

To check follow the steps:

• Type Default programs & select programs & features.
    • Check if Microsoft visual c++ 2005 x86
      is installed.
    If yes suggest you to uninstall & reinstall Microsoft visual c++ 2005 x86
    & check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists I would suggest you to contact the game manufacturer.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohammed AliAli, Jan 16, 2020
Thema:

Is it just me? x64 Edge installs into C:\Program Files (x86) folder?

1. Is it just me? x64 Edge installs into C:\Program Files (x86) folder? - Similar Threads - x64 Edge installs

2. Windows 10 - installing to Program Files folder instead of Program Files x86

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - installing to Program Files folder instead of Program Files x86: I'm having an issue installing an application into the Program Files folder in Windows 10. For some reason, even though I select that folder as the destination, the system instead installs the program to Program Files x86. However unfortunately, it's imperative that I...
  3. C:\Program Files x86\Jack\Setx.exe

C:\Program Files x86\Jack\Setx.exe: Hello anyone there, I have a question on what i found on my pc windows 10 so. The subject above is a problem which my defender anti scanned the whole drive then it said that Setx.exe file is a Trojan virus. Is that true? and i take that action then it disappears immediately...
  4. C:\Program Files (x86)\... The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable.

C:\Program Files (x86)\... The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable.: Every time I try to open anything on my computer it gives the same pop-up: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable. Except for when I run as administrator. I am at a loss I feel I've tried everything this is basically last resort. Please Help!!...
  5. Software that installs in Program Files or Program Files(x86)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Software that installs in Program Files or Program Files(x86): I just installed a software package published by a company that caters mainly to Mac users and (in my opinion) really doesn't understand Windows well. By default, their installer (install.exe) chooses C:\Program Files(x86)\xyz as the install directory, where let's say xyz is...
  6. Software that installs in Program Files or Program Files(x86)

in Windows 10 Support
    Software that installs in Program Files or Program Files(x86): I just installed a software package published by a company that caters mainly to Mac users and (in my opinion) really doesn't understand Windows well. By default, their installer (install.exe) chooses C:\Program Files(x86)\xyz as the install directory, where let's say xyz is...
  7. program files and program files x86

program files and program files x86: what If I mixed program files and program files x86 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-files-and-program-files-x86/0e6ed22e-7f14-4bea-ba3c-65079ee7a563"
  8. Unable to delete Program Files (X86) folder and files

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to delete Program Files (X86) folder and files: My Win10 Home is regularly updated by MS. After a recent update I find I am no longer able to update or completely remove applications. An example: Firstly, I am logged in as an administrator. I recently ran a program that informed me that an update was available. I opted...
  9. Are the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders important?

in Windows 10 Support
    Are the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders important?: Hi, I was wondering how important the two mentioned folders are when installing a software. I know most programs suggest being installed to one of them, but it is really necessary? What happens if I choose another folder? I use the game client Steam for example. It...
  10. WHO DELETED MY C:\Windows.old\Program Files & (x86) FOLDERS ????

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WHO DELETED MY C:\Windows.old\Program Files & (x86) FOLDERS ????: *Mad *Banghead*Mad *Banghead*Mad *Banghead*Mad Using Windows 10: I just looked into my C:\Windows.old directory and both Program Files and Program Files (x86) have disappeared !!! WHY ??? WHO WOULD DO THIS ??? This is criminal !!! F@#*$%@# S#@# OF @#@ *Mad...