Windows 10: Is it legal to get an OEM license for personal use from walmart.com?

Discus and support Is it legal to get an OEM license for personal use from walmart.com? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; sorry in advance for the long post but I want to be thorough As stated I want to know if this invalidates the license, back when I built me and my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Thetechniguy, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Is it legal to get an OEM license for personal use from walmart.com?

sorry in advance for the long post but I want to be thorough

As stated I want to know if this invalidates the license, back when I built me and my brother's PC's I knew nothing about software licensing so dumb me just ordered two install discs of windows 10 OEM from Walmart.com not knowing the true difference between the license types and assuming that since it was from a brick and mortar Walmart location that this was fine and all that I needed. fast forward to this past week when I am building a new PC for a relative my interest in the computer fields grew as I did and I went through some programs provided through local Businesses working with ComptIA and ECPI to become a certified technician and I then remembered those OEM licensees on the two PC's. Which got me wondering what that means for those two licenses since technically they where unopened OEM system builder kits according to the recent revisions in the OEM license agreement they are not "compliant" with the OEM EULA since I did not build those systems to sell he ordered his part and my parents ordered mine I just put them together and installed the OS, do I have to technically "sell" the PC's for it to be legal use key? This has been nagging me for a bit and I don,t want to Violate any conditions of the EULA it would not sit right with me even if the EULA is a bit hazy in regards to OEM keys and there use especially when the OEM is purchased by average consumers like old me who assumed that since its a reputable vendor like Walmart they would not sell me something that would breach a EULA of the product.

:)

Thetechniguy, Jul 28, 2020

2. How to legally use an OEM license.

Since MS has continued to use their asinine licensing for OEM copies, I am trying to find a way to use this license for the PCs I build for myself. I am fully aware that the OEM license is tied to the motherboard and have no problem with that.

Here is the language from the MS website:

"If you are building a system for your personal use or installing an additional operating system in a virtual machine, you will need to purchase a full version of Windows 10, available in FPP. Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 7 system builder software does not permit personal use, and is intended only for preinstallation on customer systems that will be sold to end users.*"

It is very clear that the OEM license is not meant to be used on a personal machine (even though they cannot be so naive as to why the OEM licenses are the most popular). Regardless, I am one who tries to follow the rules; despite the chance of getting caught is negligible, I will not break the rules.

I will, however, try to find a loophole. What is stopping me from selling the computer to my friend for $1, then he immediately sells it back to me for $1? There can be a cash exchange and I became a reseller of this license. Is there any reason I could not do this?

As a reseller, am I supposed to have an invoice with a record of the transaction (even though a cash transfer will be impossible to prove)? What actually counts as a transfer of ownership? Do I have to have him take possession and drive it to his house? Can I build it, have him come over and do a cash exchange twice without the computer ever moving?

I would appreciate anyone's input on this.

Thanks

TiredEngineer, Jul 28, 2020
  3. Is it legal to install windows 10 home 64 bit with oem system builder license on brand new personal pc/laptop to personal use

To the authority microsoft party

Please make sure

That oem sisytem builder license

Legal to install for personal pc/laptop or personal laptop?

I bought a laptop without operating system

And then I bought a windows 10 64 bit with oem system builder license

Is it legal to install windows 10 64 bit with oem system builder license to my new laptop?

Cause i am not an system builder . I am just an civil servant in my country

WidiaAstuti, Jul 28, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Is it legal to get an OEM license for personal use from walmart.com?

How to legally use an OEM license.

Hi there

Not sure with W10 but in W7 days you could get an OEM copy of windows at hugely discounted rates legally if you bought some hardware such as a Mouse etc.

Not sure if that loophole exists any more though. It would still only activate on a single computer and was non transferrable.

Your best bet is to get a cheap LEGAL retail copy of W7 and then until 29 July go for the free W10 upgrade.

Incidentally if you were a member of the Technet program and you have some W7 serials (most of those allowed at least 10 activations) then those serial numbers are valid for W10 upgrade. I've done a few myself.

As far as OEM license itself (system builders) you'll have to speak to Ms as regard to costs. I'm sure as a system builder and reseller you must have some sort of system for "Testing" -- I can't see Ms encouraging stuff to go out of the door untested.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 28, 2020
Thema:

Is it legal to get an OEM license for personal use from walmart.com?

1. Is it legal to get an OEM license for personal use from walmart.com? - Similar Threads - legal OEM license

2. Getting OEM binded with a used motherboard, is it legal?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Getting OEM binded with a used motherboard, is it legal?: - I got win 10 home activated without asking for a key. I made a custom PC and bought a used motherboardASUS H81M seperatelyI didn't bought and modify a branded PC. - Also, does it depends upon good hardware getting better edition or it is a fixed edition by manufacturer? -...
  3. Getting OEM binded with a used motherboard, is it legal?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting OEM binded with a used motherboard, is it legal?: - I got win 10 home activated without asking for a key. I made a custom PC and bought a used motherboardASUS H81M seperatelyI didn't bought and modify a branded PC. - Also, does it depends upon good hardware getting better edition or it is a fixed edition by manufacturer? -...
  4. Getting OEM binded with a used motherboard, is it legal?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Licensing using a method from : MS*.COM

Licensing using a method from : MS*.COM: I am an Instructor in Washington State.One of my students activated Windows 10 from a tutorial on **** using PowerShellAdditionally they used **** to activate Windows 10 Azure StudentIs activating Windows 10* with the **** server legal?I do not want to post the terminal...
  6. Licensing using a method from : MS*.COM

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Licensing using a method from : MS*.COM: I am an Instructor in Washington State.One of my students activated Windows 10 from a tutorial on **** using PowerShellAdditionally they used **** to activate Windows 10 Azure StudentIs activating Windows 10* with the **** server legal?I do not want to post the terminal...
  7. Licensing using a method from : MS*.COM

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Virtualize and Legally License Windows 2008 OEM Edition.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtualize and Legally License Windows 2008 OEM Edition.: Hello World;I have a Dell Server with Windows 2008 OEM installed. I know this is feasible to virtualize this OEM OS but does Microsoft allow this and how do you then register the newly virtualized OS. Thank you....
  9. Virtualize and Legally License Windows 2008 OEM Edition.

Virtualize and Legally License Windows 2008 OEM Edition.: Hello World;I have a Dell Server with Windows 2008 OEM installed. I know this is feasible to virtualize this OEM OS but does Microsoft allow this and how do you then register the newly virtualized OS. Thank you....
  10. How to legally use an OEM license.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to legally use an OEM license.: Since MS has continued to use their asinine licensing for OEM copies, I am trying to find a way to use this license for the PCs I build for myself. I am fully aware that the OEM license is tied to the motherboard and have no problem with that. Here is the language from the...