Windows 10: Is it legal to sell a Windows 10 digital license?

Discus and support Is it legal to sell a Windows 10 digital license? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So, today I decided to sell a digital license I had lying around in a somewhat old PC that I had upgraded to Windows 10 some time ago, after being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ENZOLU, Sep 14, 2019.

1. ENZOLU Win User

Is it legal to sell a Windows 10 digital license?

So, today I decided to sell a digital license I had lying around in a somewhat old PC that I had upgraded to Windows 10 some time ago, after being abandonded due to it being very slow and also due to the fact that I got a new PC, I decided to sell my "old" Windows 10 digital license.

Now, this license isn't tied to a product key, but to the PC itself, since I upgraded from Windows 7, back when MS still offered a free upgrade to Win10.

Since this license wasn't tied to a product key, the method I came with to sell it was:

Create new MS account with new email address --> Associate that account to my old PC, thus tiyng the license with that account --> Once a customer bought my license, pass them the account credentials --> The customer would then associate that account (thus the license) with their own PC --> The customer would then log out of said account (while still mantaining the license) and log back in with THEIR OWN MS account, thus "transferring" the license over to their account.

Now, I actually DID put it up for sale on a local online ebay-like store, but it was taken down by what seemed to be "MICROSOFT DIGITAL CRIMES UNIT", claiming I was selling pirated software, and demanding proof that my software was legit.

What I did to try to settle the takedown was to send them a screenshot of the output of the slmgr.vbs /dlv command, which gives detailed information about the license installed on a Windows PC, including some important product and activation IDs, that, I suppose, would serve as proof that my license was legit, since "Microsoft" would be able to trace the IDs and find out that there IS in fact a license associated with that MS account.

So, after waiting for 3 days, they DENIED the claim, without providing further information as to why it was denied. However, the store website gave me the email of the Microsoft department that sent the claim, and I became suspicious. The email in question is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Now, since the email ended with .ml and not .ms or even .com, I suspect it MAY NOT BE a legit claim, however I have no actual grounds for that.

So, here are my questions:

1) Is this a legit claim made by the Microsoft Digital Crimes unit? Is the email a valid MS email address?

2) In case it is a legit MS claim, why did it get denied? is it actually illegal to sell a license I own? And knowing that this is a digital license, what kind of other types of proof can I provide in order for "Microsoft" to remove the claim?

:)

ENZOLU, Sep 14, 2019
  2. ENZOLU Win User

So, today I decided to sell a digital license I had lying around in a somewhat old PC that I had upgraded to Windows 10 some time ago, after being abandonded due to it being very slow and also due to the fact that I got a new PC, I decided to sell my "old"
    Windows 10 digital license.

Now, this license isn't tied to a product key, but to the PC itself, since I upgraded from Windows 7, back when MS still offered a free upgrade to Win10.

Since this license wasn't tied to a product key, the method I came with to sell it was:

Create new MS account with new email address --> Associate that account to my old PC, thus tiyng the license with that account --> Once a customer bought my license, pass them the account credentials --> The customer would then associate that account
    (thus the license) with their own PC --> The customer would then log out of said account (while still mantaining the license) and log back in with THEIR OWN MS account, thus "transferring" the license over to their account.

Now, I actually DID put it up for sale on a local online ebay-like store, but it was taken down by what seemed to be
    "MICROSOFT DIGITAL CRIMES UNIT", claiming I was selling pirated software, and demanding proof that my software was legit.

What I did to try to settle the takedown was to send them a screenshot of the output of the
    slmgr.vbs /dlv command, which gives detailed information about the license installed on a Windows PC, including some important product and activation IDs, that, I suppose, would serve as proof that my license was legit, since "Microsoft" would
    be able to trace the IDs and find out that there IS in fact a license associated with that MS account.

So, after waiting for 3 days, they DENIED the claim, without providing further information as to why it was denied. However, the store website gave me the email of the Microsoft department that sent the claim, and I became suspicious. The email in question
    is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Now, since the email ended with .ml and not .ms or even .com, I suspect it MAY NOT BE a legit claim, however I have no actual grounds for that.

So, here are my questions:

1) Is this a legit claim made by the Microsoft Digital Crimes unit? Is the email a valid MS email address?

2) In case it is a legit MS claim, why did it get denied? is it actually illegal to sell a license I own? And knowing that this is a digital license, what kind of other types of proof can I provide in order for "Microsoft" to remove the claim?

ENZOLU, Sep 25, 2019
  3. Is it legal to sell a Windows 10 digital license?

It would be legal to resell a retail Windows 10 license, provided you wipe it from the machine where it is installed, but it would not be legal to resell an OEM license, which is one associated with an installation that was preinstalled by the factory,
    without transferring the original hardware with it. This includes a previous version of preinstalled Windows upgraded during the free upgrade period. See Section 4, "Transfer" in the Microsoft License Agreement here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail...

Brian Tillman [Outlook MVP 2007-2019] on Directly, Sep 25, 2019
  4. bnackers Win User

Sell Surface with Windows 10 digital license

Hi,

I have a Surface 3 with a digital license activation of Windows 10. I want to sell the Surface. How do I do that without an activation key?

Thanks,

-bn

bnackers, Sep 25, 2019
Thema:

1. Is it legal to sell a Windows 10 digital license? - Similar Threads - legal sell digital

2. Is it legal to a sell a PC with a free version UNactivated, no license of Windows 10 installed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it legal to a sell a PC with a free version UNactivated, no license of Windows 10 installed?: We are an OEM that mostly sell to business customers. Most of our customers have their own license agreement and would like to use their own version of Windows image. My question is, if we build our machine with an unactrivated windows system, will it violate Windows service...
  3. Is it legal to a sell a PC with a free version UNactivated, no license of Windows 10 installed?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it legal to a sell a PC with a free version UNactivated, no license of Windows 10 installed?: We are an OEM that mostly sell to business customers. Most of our customers have their own license agreement and would like to use their own version of Windows image. My question is, if we build our machine with an unactrivated windows system, will it violate Windows service...
  4. Is it legal to a sell a PC with a free version UNactivated, no license of Windows 10 installed?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Is it legal that some retailers in my country sell Windows 10 ESD-license for up to $50...

Is it legal that some retailers in my country sell Windows 10 ESD-license for up to $50...: Hi!I'm from Ukraine.I wish to buy Windows 10 or 11 home ESD-license. Some well-known retailers in my country offer this product 10% cheaper than on microsoft.com? And some less known retailers offer windows ESD-license up to 30% cheaper?Is it legal? Can I trust them? Or how...
  6. Is it legal that some retailers in my country sell Windows 10 ESD-license for up to $50...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it legal that some retailers in my country sell Windows 10 ESD-license for up to $50...: Hi!I'm from Ukraine.I wish to buy Windows 10 or 11 home ESD-license. Some well-known retailers in my country offer this product 10% cheaper than on microsoft.com? And some less known retailers offer windows ESD-license up to 30% cheaper?Is it legal? Can I trust them? Or how...
  7. How to ensure that Digital License is legal?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to ensure that Digital License is legal?: Hi.Yesterday I've upgraded Windows 8 to Windows 10 using Windows10Upgrade9252 and now my OS has the digital license. It's key different from the one I have on the box. So where can I get the document to ensure my Windows is licensed?...
  8. CAN I SELL DIGITAL RETAIL LICENSE?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CAN I SELL DIGITAL RETAIL LICENSE?: Hi Microsoft,I have a concern that i want to clarify, I have Visual Studio Enterprise Subscription, under which i have access to tons of Product key. i.e i can claim tens of copies of each type of Windows 10, Office, and other Software.These Product keys are of type retail,...
  9. Hello, is it legal to sell a computer with Windows 10 not activated?

Hello, is it legal to sell a computer with Windows 10 not activated?: Hello, I was looking to get into selling gaming PC’s on eBay and after doing research into how the PC’s are so cheap I found that they either did not include an activated copy of windows or used an OEM key from a redistributor for around $15. Included is a reference image for...
  10. Is it legal to sell PCs with inactive Windows 10 version ?

Is it legal to sell PCs with inactive Windows 10 version ?: Hi I have an electronics shop. I format used PCs and resell them. I use Windows 10 copy downloaded from Microsoft official website. In the installation process I choose "I don't have product keys" hence a watermark appears (it's the costumer duty to buy activation key if he...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. selling a windows10 pc with digital license

2. is it illegal to sell a unused minecraft windows 10 edition key?

3. dissociate digital license with pc before selling it